Windows 10

Man of Honour
Soldato
I have a laptop that had Windows 10 on. Erased all partitions from the SSD, Windows setup copies the files across, gets devices ready, restarts then seems to hang at the startup logo with spinning dotted circle. No sign of any drive activity and a forced restart produces the same result. It even gets to the point of the screen turning itself off after 10 minutes. :(
After letting the laptop sit for over an hour, there was still no progress. I tried a reset/repair, but that got stuck at 64%.

I've even tried another ISO image to be sure, but it doesn't want to happen.

Soldato
Sad indictment of Windows 10 that is even necessary - MS really should start taking note of how people actually want to use the OS not their imagined up ideal user who doesn't actually exist.

Given the method of how OSes are now made and released, I think this will be come less and less likely.
Apples OS, Androids OS, and all the various competitors, give you virtually no choice in anything now.
I don't see MS being the ones outside the box, leaves it easier for them to force everything on a 'free' update.

Man of Honour
Given the method of how OSes are now made and released, I think this will be come less and less likely.
Apples OS, Androids OS, and all the various competitors, give you virtually no choice in anything now.
I don't see MS being the ones outside the box, leaves it easier for them to force everything on a 'free' update.

Thing is though Android still usually gives you options - even though the default setup is fairly automated you can disable/tweak stuff like updates without doing anything too drastic. Apple has always been a very different approach and a reason why it hasn't overtaken Windows.

Associate
Hi, i'm having problems after the creator update with a black screen and no cursor, it all started last night when i restarted my pc.

I've searched the net for a fix but nothing works. I've tried the win upgrade tool and get this error 0x8007043c, i've tried resetting the pc, different start up options.

And i dont have a back up or restore point, and i cant access update and security in the settings.

I also get this error e:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt when i run the system fix tool from the recovery option.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Soldato
i can't seem to get HDR working in display settings, when i select my HDR tv the HDR option appears and when i click on then apply it just goes back to off. the tv is connected by a hdmi 2.0 to a DP 1.2, amd 390x port.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, i'm having problems after the creator update with a black screen and no cursor, it all started last night when i restarted my pc.

I've searched the net for a fix but nothing works. I've tried the win upgrade tool and get this error 0x8007043c, i've tried resetting the pc, different start up options.

And i dont have a back up or restore point, and i cant access update and security in the settings.

I also get this error e:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt when i run the system fix tool from the recovery option.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

can you get in to safe mode at all? maybe try a OS reset (keeps all files etc an resets windows settings) if you cn get in to safe mode.

Soldato
I've found out why Windows 10 Creators wasn't installing. Me and many others with a Broadcom 440x ethernet controller are experiencing exactly the issue with the installer hanging. People are getting round this by disabling the controller in their BIOS - my BIOS happens to be one that you can't disable it in. :mad:

Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port - Microsoft Community
Problems with Creators update - Microsoft Community
Hello. I am an Engineer in the Windows Networking team. I can confirm that there is a bug in the Creators Update that affects the compatibility with the Broadcom 440x driver. We are working on resolving this until it is resolved.

Thank you for reporting this! I will post any updates on this issue on thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...4590-b2f3-a64b92445385?rtAction=1492183836572

Meanwhile following the steps mentioned in this thread will work around the issue (if you can call disabling Ethernet a valid workaround) until we have a real fix available.

Soldato
I've found out why Windows 10 Creators wasn't installing. Me and many others with a Broadcom 440x ethernet controller are experiencing exactly the issue with the installer hanging. People are getting round this by disabling the controller in their BIOS - my BIOS happens to be one that you can't disable it in. :mad:

Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port - Microsoft Community
Problems with Creators update - Microsoft Community

What is your motherboard brand and model?

Soldato
Is windows 10 worth another go?

ive got a new SSD and going to do a new install of either W7 or W10.

is there any apps worth running to sort out all the built spyware stuff or to remove the apps that are not required.

is there anything like Vlite or Nlite that allows you to remove the built in apps etc?

Soldato

is there any apps worth running to sort out all the built spyware stuff or to remove the apps that are not required.

is there anything like Vlite or Nlite that allows you to remove the built in apps etc?

Yes a app called NTLite supported Creators Update.

Native Runtime, 32 and 64-bit
NTLite does not require .NET Framework or any other addition to run under the supported operating systems. This enables it to run faster, more portable with less dependencies.

Supports the following Windows versions (32 and 64-bit, live C:\Windows and WIM/SWM/ESD images):

Windows 7
Windows 8 and 8.1
Windows 10
1507 (10.0.10240 – Threshold 1) RTM, including LTSB 2015
1511 (10.0.10586 – Threshold 2) ‘November Update’
1607 (10.0.14393 – Redstone 1) ‘Anniversary Update’, including LTSB 2016
1703 (10.0.15063 – Redstone 2) ‘Creators Update’
Windows Server 2008 R2 (excluding component removal and feature config)
Windows Server 2012 (excluding component removal and feature config)
Windows Server 2012 R2 (excluding component removal and feature config)
Windows Server 2016 (excluding component removal and feature config)
Boot, Setup and WinPE images of all listed and ADK

For clarity on frequent questions, it does not support:

Checked/Debug editions
Embedded editions
Windows Vista
Windows XP
Windows Server 2008 and older

https://www.ntlite.com/features/

Caporegime

just a heads up win 7 updates are installing fast now.not like recently maybe they fixed it or not after forcing all to ten.

Soldato
just a heads up win 7 updates are installing fast now.not like recently maybe they fixed it or not after forcing all to ten.

Ok, I always created my own W7 iso file with all the updates applied so once installed it didn't have to do them all or sit there searching for hours

Soldato
its instant now :cool:

That is good to know :) about time they fixed it to be honest

I used Nlite, stripped out all the apps and disabled all the stuff for tracking etc.

made a ISO file and used vm player to test, its come out quite well and only things I had to disable was cortana and onedrive so quite happy with this.

mmmm I restarted the Vm and now the start menu doesn't work. I can click on it to load the menu up but then nothing works when clicking on like settings or a app lol

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

daft question but is it still possible to upgrade to windows 10 for free?

Have been given a laptop to sort out, it's a student's laptop and apparently they sent the laptop to the tech guy at Uni (they pay insurance or something for support from the Uni tech support) who had done the upgrade last year to windows 10 but it still has windows 8.1 installed. (trying to explain this to the owner who is adamant it has windows 10 installed lol)

cheers.

Back
Top Bottom