Windows 10

Associate
Mines just started to forget the monitor settings randomly on startup. The main monitor becomes the right monitor (out of 3) and the centre monitor changes resolution and refresh rate. Need to change primary monitor to the right and then back to the centre and then reboot to get the refresh rate above 29Hz!!

Caporegime
every windows update really annoys me !

always resets all my soundcard settings.
changes my power profile to "samsung high performance"
Which has minimal cpu state at 100% :rolleyes:

Soldato
Does anyone know if it's still possible to upgrade from a Windows 8.1 installation to Win 10? The accessibility upgrade extension seems to have ended, so I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time upgrading a OEM Win8 installation if it won't accept the existing key.

Man of Honour
Great... did the latest updates on my GPD Pocket and now got the issue where Antimalware Service Executable constantly uses 40-50% CPU (yay on a battery powered device) and eats up a lot of RAM :(

****** Microsoft.

EDIT: Looks like it had got stuck in a loop trying to update/install a signature update :( managed to sort it.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, have filled out the survey. Not sure it will make any difference, after all they've never taken notice of anything I've fed back via the Feedback Hub nor the Insider Programme.

Man of Honour
Yeah I don't hold out much hope but its being organised by an official community moderator so that is something - whether they will get anywhere is another matter.

Soldato
Does anyone know if it's still possible to upgrade from a Windows 8.1 installation to Win 10? The accessibility upgrade extension seems to have ended, so I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time upgrading a OEM Win8 installation if it won't accept the existing key.

Just for info, I used the Media Creation Tool to update a Win 7 OEM install directly (no media, just the "update this PC" option), and it installed and authenticated itself, so it's still possible to do free upgrades via the tool.

Man of Honour
Did I mention I hate Windows 10? :s

Was using one of my tablets last night and noticed it was momentarily pausing a lot - wsappx randomly kicked in in the background for around 10-15 minutes along with delivery optimisation service downloading "something" related to it - around 200MB despite I have the store stuff disabled and connection metering set... being on battery power that activity took around 10% additional off the battery life as well for no good reason for my usage...

Guess I'm gonna have to invest in more time with Powershell and/or 3rd party tools and with all the chances those tweaks will cause problems come the next big update or need redoing.

V F

V F

Soldato
The connection metering has nothing to do with Windows Updates to be honest. When I was downloading big updates for the tom tom, it stopped the downloads from completing while Windows Updates continued. I had to disable the metering to allow the tom tom to finish its updates.

Man of Honour
Yeah I've known that for awhile it is just so frustrating - in some ways it isn't a big deal for me as I've just upped to 30GB data to compensate but still I shouldn't have to do that and there will be people who are far more limited than myself in that respect.

Soldato
Anyone on the insiders preview of Windows and have a Chromecast? Apparently Edge can now cast to it, but Googling around I can't find anything about this. Just saw a comment on Reddit about a couple people being able to do this.

Back
Top Bottom