Windows 10

Soldato
Any idea why my two external HDD's have suddenly decided to now not show up in file explorer on boot when they have worked fine for the past year. If I reset they show up again but nothing has changed.

Soldato
Is there a reason that when updating to a proper new version, windows doesn't seem to respect certain settings and just sets them back to default?

Just for example, I have fastboot off. Turns back on with every major feature update. I have automatically download driver updates off, so windows doesn't randomly update my gpu drivers when it feels like it, always comes back on after a feature update.

It's not a fresh install, it's an update, so why does it keep changing stuff without asking :mad:

Permabanned
@ Armadillo's issue, is it possible to have all such settings in some sort of config file (maybe third-party software?) and quickly re-apply it after an update? I'm not on W10 but will be later this year or early next when I upgrade. I do have a few dozen hours of experience with W10 and it's basically a very mixed bag in that I really like some things and dislike some others.

Man of Honour
Mine constantly crashes about 3 minutes after first turn on now. It’s only started recently. Something about a power state error. It’s always fine after that.

I have a new CPU and motherboard coming though so I will rebuild it and hopefully sort it.

Associate
Mine does say in event viewer about system not shutting down correctly, Kernel-Power unexpected shut down even when I shut the pc down correctly after this update.
Motherboard is saying 40 sometimes which mean it has been woke up from a sleep state rather than fresh start up. But sleep is disabled on my machine. Crazy. :confused: :D

Soldato
I am still on 1709. I just don't have the urge or inspiration to install 1803, especially when I know I might as well completely reinstall my ageing installation of Windows 10, which started out as 1703. :o

Man of Honour
Anyone else's windows 10- 1803 (OS Build 17134.167) slow at starting up after this update ?
July 16, 2018—KB4345421 (OS Build 17134.167)

Windows 10 often does a lot of stuff post-update which might slow the first few boots and make the system laggy for several minutes after booting the first few times while it is compiling or updating libraries, etc. in the background.

I've noticed the anti-malware service likes to kick in a lot more frequently and intensively since 1803 as well sometimes prolonging the startup process, etc.

Associate
I figured out the problem and it's really silly :D
My good lady had plugged in a 1TB USB drive when she was transferring some pictures and left it plugged in.
Unplugged it, booted in 30 seconds, back to normal.
She bought me some beers for the hours of searching I did trying to fix it :D :p win win. Beer and problem sorted.

Soldato
Hah not a great video but this just popped up on my YT feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTIySM6tfww

13K thumbs up, 7.5K comments mostly negative and largely complaining about updates... yeah its definitely a minority of people who have a problem with it :rolleyes:
He lost all plausibility when he said Microsoft were doing it so we would all go out and buy new laptops or tablets. Apart from the licenses, how do Microsoft benefit from the sales of new computers?

If you spend a little time running Disk Cleanup after each update, Windows will process the background tasks that it needs to and free up your computers resources. I agree you shouldn't need to do this, but it's a workaround that works for me.

Soldato
He's right about one thing thought. Forcing people to update something they neither want nor need doth not a happy user make. I can understand forcing security updates, but making people download a bloated update that can take hours to install (as it did on my Mum's machine) isn't helping.

Annoy people enough and they will eventually do something about it. I was a Microsoft fan from the mid 90s and almost never thought about using anything else (apart from mild curiosity) for years. I did Windows support for a decade, but these days I almost never log in to Windows. It's bloated, it's intrusive and it keeps installing **** that I don't want and have uninstalled multiple times. So, much like the guy in the video, I eventually said **** you Microsoft and went native :)

Back
Top Bottom