Windows 10

Soldato
Have you updated your drivers? If so which and how?

These days I install the majority of drivers with Snappy Driver Installer Origin. All are installed with SDIO with the exception of graphic, sound, scanner and printer drivers. I prefer to run the installers for these, so the needed software (ie: Nvidia Control Panel, scanner utility) is also installed.

Associate
Hey guys - just a quick one. A mate of mine has an Acer Aspire laptop that came with Windows 7 OEM and now the hard drive has packed it in. He doesn't have a Windows 7 disk, as the drive had a recovery partition on it, which clearly doesn't work any more.

He's asked for a bit of help, but I'm unsure if we can still use a Windows 7 key to install Windows 10. Does anyone know, and if so, is it just as simple as downloading the ISO and setting the BIOS to boot from the dvd-rom?

Thanks

Soldato
Have you updated your drivers? If so which and how?

These days I install the majority of drivers with Snappy Driver Installer Origin. All are installed with SDIO with the exception of graphic, sound, scanner and printer drivers. I prefer to run the installers for these, so the needed software (ie: Nvidia Control Panel, scanner utility) is also installed.

Thanks for the heads up on that one, not used it before.

Seems pretty good :)

kCbThG2.jpg

Soldato
Finally I've found the cause of Explorer running so slow lately, It's the built in Windows Virus & threat protection real time scanning, if I disable that Windows is back to it's usual snappy fast self,

Don't want to leave it disabled but not found a fix yet when I enable it.

Man of Honour
Finally I've found the cause of Explorer running so slow lately, It's the built in Windows Virus & threat protection real time scanning, if I disable that Windows is back to it's usual snappy fast self,

Don't want to leave it disabled but not found a fix yet when I enable it.

I've had a few problems with that (and others also reported issues due to the malware protection engine) with recent updates - it seems to not infrequently get itself stuck in a loop lately either trying to update signatures or when doing other background tasks.

Another reason why taking control away from the end user to properly manage and restart updates and so on is a bad idea.

Soldato
I installed Bitdefender as it's got a month's trial for protection and my PC is still running as it should, definitely something to do with the inbuilt virus / malware protection, first time I've had a problem with it.

Man of Honour
I installed Bitdefender as it's got a month's trial for protection and my PC is still running as it should, definitely something to do with the inbuilt virus / malware protection, first time I've had a problem with it.

Wonder if it was behind some of the older problems I had with certain Windows 10 installations where the start menu would become unresponsive for a past time - unfortunately I just gave up and put them back on Windows 7 as I actually needed to use those systems so can't see if that was the same issue going back then.

As per some of my recent posts I've had a few issues with the malware protection engine more recently - one of my tablets the built in defender stuff was sitting there at 40% CPU constantly (not something you want on battery power :s) after the 1803 update as it had got something in a twist somewhere and couldn't resolve itself and being around public networks, etc. I didn't want to lose any security protection so disabling it wasn't an attractive option :( in the end I did a bit of a "Hail Mary" pass with a bunch of solutions off the web that supposedly reset its functionality and something worked - from what I could see it had got stuck in a loop trying to update a malware signature.

Soldato
Been using windows 7 ultimate since it’s release but today I finally installed windows 10.

I went through the setup from a windows 10 disk and formatted both my SSD’ in the install windows option but when I boot windows, I have the option for windows 7 or 10, anyone know why this would happen?

Both drives are formatted and clear.

Cheers

Hto3WeTh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
@Clov!s

If the drives are truly wiped, then nothing at would show - not even that screen. It should complain about no boot device or something - at this point you boot from a Windows installation media, such as a USB stick or DVD.

Boot your computer and make sure the boot device is set to whatever your Windows installer is on. Once Windows 10 setup has loaded and you're at the first screen of setup, press Shift + F10 on your keyboard to bring up command prompt.
  1. Type in diskpart to load Diskpart.
  2. List and identify the drives you want to erase by typing list disk and noting the drive numbers. Select one drive at a time by typing in select disk 0 - replacing 0 with whatever disk # the drive is. I'd imagine you will start with 0 and 1 for both your SSD drives, incrementing for each harddrive.
  3. Type in clean to completely erase the drive.
  4. Move to step 2 for the next drive until you have cleaned all the drives.
  5. Type in exit twice to leave diskaprt, then close the command prompt window.
Now when you boot without the Window installer in the computer (remove USB or disc), you should see an error about finding no boot device.

Slightly unrelated, but what motherboard and model are you on? I like to keep my BIOS up-to-date, especially when doing a new install.

Soldato
I have already installed windows 10, it’s on and working fine but when my system starts up, I’m met with that screen for 10 seconds before it boots into windows 10.

Both my drives were formatted during the windows 10 installation.

I went through those steps when installing windows 10 as I had to change the format type, I also did the clean up too. :)

Soldato
I have already installed windows 10, it’s on and working fine but when my system starts up, I’m met with that screen for 10 seconds before it boots into windows 10.

Both my drives were formatted during the windows 10 installation.

I went through those steps when installing windows 10 as I had to change the format type, I also did the clean up too. :)
If both drives were completely erased with the above method, I honestly don't see how it could have picked up your Windows 7 installation. Do you have any harddrives attached, as it might be one of those holding information about your Windows 7 install..

You could edit the menu, but I don't like to patch over things. I'd sooner reinstall Windows and see it done properly. If you do go down this avenue, maybe try disconnecting all drives until Windows has finished installing.

Soldato
If both drives were completely erased with the above method, I honestly don't see how it could have picked up your Windows 7 installation. Do you have any harddrives attached, as it might be one of those holding information about your Windows 7 install..

You could edit the menu, but I don't like to patch over things. I'd sooner reinstall Windows and see it done properly. If you do go down this avenue, maybe try disconnecting all drives until Windows has finished installing.
Only have the 2 drives installed, a 500GB Samsung SSD and a 250GB M.2 SSD, no other drives connected. I don't really want to go through installing windows 10 again today, was hoping to find a fix. :)

Man of Honour
Don't quote me on it but I think if you wipe drives as part of the installation process instead of before and it detects another OS install when setup started it adds the entries for it - I had that with one of my systems I tried 10 on - wiping the drives during the setup process but it would still bring up that screen on startup - I ended up just wiping the whole lot and putting 7 back on in the end anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom