Windows 10

Soldato
I'm actually starting to see this now as well. Sometimes it's instant and fluid, sometimes it feels like the system is freezing for a split second. It's been hard trying to find the cause of this (I tried reverting everything to stock, different GPU driver, BIOS update, RAM XMP profile off, check disk, etc). Everything was fine a week ago. Also notice it affects Firefox too when opening a page in a new tab, sometimes the split second freeze happens there. Chrome and Edge seems fine though. Another thing I noticed recently happening is the Windows shield notification takes a good couple of minutes to become a green tick as well after boot up.

This is only happening with my desktop though (in sig). My Surface Pro 4 and work PC with the same updates seems completely fine.

We both seem to have Ryzen based PCs with the 1080Ti, perhaps the issue lies somewhere there?

Possibly I've removed software that I thought would be possibly causing the issue but made no difference, Everything was fine upto roughly a week ago when I first noticed it, I too get the same as you on Firefox even tried a temp basic profile incase it was an addon causing the fault and made no difference.

Soldato
Depending on your usage it can be more or less of a problem - if you tend to leave a device on overnight Windows 10 will more often than not update during that period though I've had a few instances of finding a machine stuck on say 70% when wanting to use the system next morning, etc. necessitating another 2-3 hours waiting while recovering the update.

A lot of my Windows 10 use is on portable devices as I've put any desktop system I actually want to use back on Windows 7 - where they can be off for several days between usage at times so quite a good chance they will launch into a pending update or start prepping for and downloading/installing the latest updates when you turn them on which is often disruptive either because those kind of devices a lot of the usage is for convenience - just being able to pick them up and start using and/or short term use - so having to wait until Windows update is done before the device returns to full performance, etc. is a pain.

Even if some people have an OK experience with it - there is no shortage of people who don't have a good experience with Windows update as per the video I posted before that has over 7500 negative comments about it.

EDIT: So after posting in a thread about monitors about my poor experience with the Asus ROG Swift I remembered I've got one still in storage... which got me thinking maybe I should remake the office space printer scene with it hah... which lead me to watching that clip on YouTube... and there I saw it in the comments:

oQBeVGX.png

574 thumbs up :D
Well my usage is heavy.

For the past 11 months my razer blade stealth has been my money maker. ie i have done my coding at work on that machine 5 days a week.

Im not just writing little word docs or spreadsheets. im compiling code, writing code and delivering target dates under pressure. I would be the first to hale abuse on MS if the OS wasnt up for the job

Man of Honour
Is that machine corporate managed and/or what update settings/3rd party tools to manage updates used?

Certainly not been my experience with Windows 10 and trying to use it in a variety of situations and as before plenty of people don't have a great experience not just me.

Man of Honour
As a complete Hyper-V noob where would I start with creating a lab with a server and 2 clients and adding a network switch so they can communicate?
Do you know VMware at all? Hyper-V is pretty straigh forward, just add the role and have a play around. There's loads of guides on YouTube.

Associate
Updating to today's released Nvidia driver hasn't made a difference, still getting the slow down issues with Explorer.

Have had this a while and thought it was just me.

I don't have a nvidia gpu but do have a TR cpu.

Guess you are also running 1803?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I always used to get that issue with Windows 10 on an older system - Q9550/4GB RAM/cheap SSD/GTX970 - explorer would become sluggish and start menu would go unresponsive for 30+ seconds at a time and then play catch up - only solution I found was a reinstall but it would still creep back weeks or months later. It isn't an uncommon complaint but I never saw anyone solve it - not looked into it more recently as I tore the system down and replaced with something else.

Soldato
Decided to just do a fresh install, and everything seems to be properly working again. Explorer is snappy again and Firefox doesn't lock up for a split second when opening a new tab.

Still have no idea why it even happened in the first place.

Soldato
I was tempted to wait it out too, but it was really annoying that videos on the second screen would also be affected with Firefox opening a new tab.

It also made me realise that the issue was also affecting more than Explorer, Settings sometimes took a while to pop up as well, and clicking anything from the start menu would too sometimes have a delay. Anything requesting admin access also had a delay with the UAC window which meant I stared at a dimmed screen for a good couple of seconds before seeing the actual window. The Razer splash screen on start-up was also hanging around longer than usual. Doing the fresh install I see none of those delays now.

Soldato
I noticed something last night that hopefully might have been causing the issue, I try to keep my chipset drivers up to date but noticed my PC was still claiming I was on 17.40 and not 18.10 even though I'd installed that month's ago , anyway got there in end with 18.10 now showing as being installed and will test tonight as it was too late in the evening when I'd finished.

Man of Honour
Is there an easy way to reinstall Windows 10, while keeping applications? Specifically Steam/Origin/GoG applications? It's a pain having to re-download 200+ GB of games when I rebuild.

Associate
I noticed something last night that hopefully might have been causing the issue, I try to keep my chipset drivers up to date but noticed my PC was still claiming I was on 17.40 and not 18.10 even though I'd installed that month's ago , anyway got there in end with 18.10 now showing as being installed and will test tonight as it was too late in the evening when I'd finished.

I've had 18.10 installed since a clean install and no good.

Also I've removed all the programmes not needed on the right click menu and has sped things up a little.

Software is shellxview, might be worth a try.

Soldato
Is there an easy way to reinstall Windows 10, while keeping applications? Specifically Steam/Origin/GoG applications? It's a pain having to re-download 200+ GB of games when I rebuild.

Actually, I wonder if downloading the Windows 10 ISO and then running it to "upgrade" to Windows 10 will work :p? Maybe I should've tried that out first...

I made sure to check everything was updated including SSD firmware while attempting to fix the issue, so my chipset drivers was definitely up to date. I had a check with my brother who also uses a Ryzen PC (1500X) with a 580, but his PC seems to be completely fine.

Last edited:
Associate

You should just be able to copy it all to another drive, re-install and copy it all back again. I do this with my Steam folder so I would imagine it would work for the others.

Stoner81.

Associate
Just back the games up to an external drive and copy them back once you have everything set back up (this does work with steam and GoG, but you will have to go through the install process with the steam games and you just have to go to each game in GoG (this is only if you're using the GoG Galaxy client) and point it at where you have it located and it does the rest and I don't know if it works the same way with origin).

Back
Top Bottom