Windows 10

Soldato
Hi!

I want to reinstall windows 10 on my computer.
I have a lot of experience with windows installation, but I had a question when I created the installer.
Is it necessary to run a full antivirus scan before creating the installer? For example, Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
Can an installer be infected by a malware?
I'm currently using the Emsisoft Antivirus, but after reinstalling the windows I switch to Kaspersky Internet Security 2019.

Thank you very much for your help and apologies for my bad English.
If you believe the machine might be infected with a virus, then create your installation on another computer which isn't infected.

Permabanned
I have my OS on a 120gb ssd and have done for years. Its an OS drive, its has the OS and very little else which is entirely the point.

My 5400rpm HDD is fast enough for the OS. It loads in quickly with fast boot enabled, and shuts down in an instant too.
I will go either full NVMe PCIe x4 3.0 or nothing :D

Also, I am against a fast drive dedicated for the OS only. I have a large collection of files which also need the aforementioned technology.

Associate
My 5400rpm HDD is fast enough for the OS. It loads in quickly with fast boot enabled, and shuts down in an instant too.

Also, I am against a fast drive dedicated for the OS only. I have a large collection of files which also need the aforementioned technology.

I bought the 120GB SSD years ago so that remains my boot drive. I have a separate SSD for games. To say that a 5400rpm mechanical drive is anything like an SSD is just silly.

Soldato
ubuntu and mint are both a doddle for windows users. Steam is available for linux which you can download and install like steam on windows to see what works natively. Just open up steam in Windows > goto store page > Gmes Dropdown > SteamOS & Linux at the bottom. Other games you can run through WINE yes but obviously this isnt going to be like running it on Windows and Im not pretending its just as easy to play games on Linux as it is in Windows but its improving a lot and Linux really is interesting to use and play about with if that is your kind of thing.

Once you go down the gnome customisation rabbit hole you're doomed to keep fiddling.

Never gave a damn before but the widgets and look and feel options are great!

Also got emulators working so I'm happy as Larry! MAME is great in Linux

Associate
Once you go down the gnome customisation rabbit hole you're doomed to keep fiddling.

Never gave a damn before but the widgets and look and feel options are great!

Also got emulators working so I'm happy as Larry! MAME is great in Linux

yeah but that is the thing, you can tinker with it and its actually fun unlike WIndows which can just feel tedious.

Soldato
yeah but that is the thing, you can tinker with it and its actually fun unlike Windows which can just feel tedious.

There are few things more annoying than booting your machine up to give a presentation at a meeting, then your machine suddenly decides to leave you in limbo for 20 minutes. This even happens on my work build because they decided to be "aggressive" with compliance and it's totally unacceptable.

The last straw for me was breaching a maintenance window due to the behaviour above.

This is the first time I have ever felt like a Linux distribution is a valid replacement for me and I've played with the likes of redhat since the 90s. :)

Don't forget tlp on your laptops peeps :)

Last edited:
Permabanned

That's silly, usually you have fast boot drives and TRY to get fast storage. For what it costs now you can get a 256GB SSD for primary drive and a 512/1TB for storage SSD secondary for under 130 quid. It depends what you want though! Bigger storage on mechanical drive and fast boot is probably the way I would go.

Soldato
Is there any way to download the official 1903 iso yet?

Not the ISO no but you can OPT IN as a windows insider which will give you 1903. I have used it but rolled back on two machines as the machines in question where slower.

https://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-10-may-2019-update-is-now-available-on-msdn

1903 isos are now available on MSDN. Wish someone who has MSDN subscriber can leak all 1903 isos, I need UK version.

Was read on Mydigitallife forum, some MSDN subscribers was downloaded and installed 1903 in other language versions.

Was checked on Wzor.net twitter, Adguard's Techbench and HeiDoc.net ISO download tool to find all 1903 isos was not leaked yet.

Maybe later Friday or Saturday night Wzor will have links ready with all 1903 isos available to download for everyone so no need to wait until end of May to download 1903 Update.

Soldato
I wouldn't get it not yet it's still not stable.

I would get it as it is stable, I tested Windows 1903 on bootable VHD, the latest build 18362.53 seemed stable to me.

MSDN had RTM build 18362.30, it is stable build, if it was not stable then Microsoft would not released RTM to MSDN.

Man I missed my old TechNet subscription. :(

I had been installed Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 RTM weeks or a month before general available to consumers and every RTM versions was stable to me.

Found complete list of 1903 isos SHA1 strings from MSDN.

https://msdn.rg-adguard.net/public.php?p=1&seach=windows 10 version 1903&str=25
https://pastebin.com/apCzXwxp

Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1903 (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)
10972d3072ee715a6c8e2001754220c9147ef78b
en-gb_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_1903_x64_dvd_44ca01a6.iso

That above one is what I am still look for, cant find anywhere on internet, here are some other language versions leaked now available to download.

187 isos will take a long time to upload.

Man of Honour
Stable other than a small but not insignificant number of people reporting random system freezing or periods of extremely low performance or GSOD/BSODs with the update. (Though I think they just released a fix for one of the main causes of GSOD/BSODs with it).

Soldato
Stable other than a small but not insignificant number of people reporting random system freezing or periods of extremely low performance or GSOD/BSODs with the update. (Though I think they just released a fix for one of the main causes of GSOD/BSODs with it).

Yes I think Microsoft released fix for GSOD on 4 April.

https://windowsreport.com/anti-cheat-software-gsod-error/

Also I found changewindows.org website is a good alternative to buildfeed.net which was closed down.

https://www.changewindows.org/build/18362/pc

Build 18362.30 was released on same day 4 April 2019 that fixed GSOD.

Back
Top Bottom