Windows 10

Soldato
If you really can't wait, you can download US version here and then apply the en-gb .svf patch (info from MDL forum you mentioned above)

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2Rwo/51AwfJ6Wp

Link seemed not worked got 404 error.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-svf-repository.63324/page-158

Was searched on MDL and found another way to download 1903 US version from archive.org and en-gb svf patch from mega.nz link.

https://archive.org/download/Win_1903/
https://mega.nz/#F!qNE1TCqZ!2XURt_9o62SPpa4kXFefpA

After patched it and en-gb iso was created, checked SHA-1 hash matched with en-gb iso from MSDN.:D

Installed went fine without issue on both VirtualBox and production. :D

5JJDPLc.png

Now installing new Nvidia Geforce 430.39 driver which fully support 1903 May Update. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Got my first BSOD on Win10 today. Then second.. third....fourth...

Gave up trying to reboot and restored my image backup. Totally random though. Haven't changed a single thing!

Dreading the upcoming feature update. What horrors await?

Soldato
Hello windows boffins,

I'm setting up a new PC for business and I want to do everything I can to lock down any kind of automatic updating.

It will be used for incredibly time sensitive work so I want to minimise any kind of automatic downloading, automatic installing, background tasks I have no control over, automatic anything.

Are there any built in settings or reputatable programs I can install to help me with this?

Then I can update it manually and check all software is still working manually after deadlines.

We've used Windows 7 up until now because it just works and I've not had to worry about updating, I'm quite concerned Microsoft may screw me over at the worst possible time if I don't address this though.

Thanks

Soldato
Hello windows boffins,

I'm setting up a new PC for business and I want to do everything I can to lock down any kind of automatic updating.

It will be used for incredibly time sensitive work so I want to minimise any kind of automatic downloading, automatic installing, background tasks I have no control over, automatic anything.

Are there any built in settings or reputatable programs I can install to help me with this?

Then I can update it manually and check all software is still working manually after deadlines.

We've used Windows 7 up until now because it just works and I've not had to worry about updating, I'm quite concerned Microsoft may screw me over at the worst possible time if I don't address this though.

Thanks

I had set up 2 laptops for my 2 cousins to used it for business 4 years ago installed Windows 10 with automatic updates.

4 years on, my cousins had no issues with Windows 10 automatic updates. I received no calls from my friends and family on issues with Windows 10 since 2015 compared to around nearly 100 calls on Windows 7 issues with automatic Windows Update and no calls on Windows 8/8.1 issues with automatic Windows Update. If my cousins had any issues with software, games and Microsoft Store apps on Windows 10 then I should have calls from them but so far no calls since 2015 mean they don't have issues with all software, games and Microsoft Store apps installed on Windows 10.

If I clean install Windows 7 today with automatic Windows Update and it will download probably around 300 updates then Windows 7 will install all updates in wrong order which will caused configuring windows updates failures and rolled back. It will worked fine if I turned off automatic update and manually selected updates in correct order by date from oldest to latest but it will be nightmare task to do it to manually install around 300 updates which could take a few days if I have no spare time.

Windows 8/8.1 is much better than Windows 7, if I clean install Windows 8/8.1 today with automatic Windows Update and it will download probably around 300 updates then Windows 8/8.1 will install all updates in correct order and there will be no configuring windows updates failures. Installed around 300 updates on Windows 8/8.1 would probably take 6+ hours to do it.

Windows 10 is now much better than both Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1, if I clean install Windows 10 today with automatic Windows Update and it will not download something like 300 updates compared to Windows 7 and 8/8.1 so Windows 10 will need to download very few updates, Windows 10 1809 had only 8 quality updates before I upgraded it to 1903 so now 1903 have 2 quality updates.

I found Windows 10 automatic updates far very effective with very few small updates which only take a min to installed compared to both Windows 7 and 8/8.1. You got really nothing to worry about Windows 10 automatic Windows updates but if you really concern about Windows 10 automatic windows update then you can go to Advanced Options to pause updates for up to 35 days to allow you for incredibly time sensitive work to meet deadlines before resume automatic Windows Update to download just a few small quality updates. Also you can turn off Microsoft Store apps automatically updates in Microsoft Store Settings to stop it download apps updates almost everyday.

Man of Honour
Hello windows boffins,

Thanks

If you want full (or as close to) control over updates in 10 then Dirk has posted what I believe is currently the only robust way of doing so a few times in this thread. Not sure which is the most up to date version off the top of my head for doing it: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/windows-10.18627218/page-599#post-32326367

I keep any time sensitive, etc. work off systems using 10 and the systems I want to do stuff like that on remain firmly on 7 because despite what some might say if you do stuff like that seriously then Windows 10 is horrible for it even with the now ability to pause updates for longer, etc. I'm guessing AthlonXP1800 doesn't do anything like that given the amount of focus he puts on the updates process for getting the system up and running which is irrelevant for that kind of use it is what happens after that step that matters! this is one of the big problems with Windows 10 in this respect that people who defend it like above and seemingly many MS developers can't imagine how other people use the OS outside of how they use it.

Man of Honour
A little amusing yet sad at the same time.

https://twitter.com/almurray/status/1123921128332853253?s=21

Oh and shutup10 isn't blocking Windows Update on 10 Home. Though works on Pro.

Yeah MS seems to have a complete blank to situations like this. It is completely unacceptable.

Also I've had it far too many times when (A) I'm trying to shutdown to preserve battery power (B) don't have enough battery left to complete the update anyhow.

Soldato
Yeah MS seems to have a complete blank to situations like this. It is completely unacceptable.

Also I've had it far too many times when (A) I'm trying to shutdown to preserve battery power (B) don't have enough battery left to complete the update anyhow.

No, it is completely normal, it been like this since Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 on my old laptops.

You probably have a faulty battery or maybe have incompatible battery driver installed. Your tablet should never install updates when battery is low at 20% or less and battery saver mode should activate automatically which will suspend windows update and downloading updates will resume if you plug in outlet to recharging battery.

A few months ago at one time when my Surface Pro 6 battery was low at 20%, battery saver was activated and suspend windows update then at 10% I decided to deactivated battery saver and resumed windows update automatically installed few updates, shutdown and took a few seconds to reconfiguring updates to 30% and restarted few seconds later to another reconfiguring updates to 100% lasted a few seconds and logged in just to see battery reached 8%.

2% is good enough to completed updates.

People like you really need common sense when battery is low so you will need to RECHARGE the battery. Many people had done similar mistakes when updated their Android phones and iPhones with security update or firmware update when battery is low can cause Android and iPhone fail to unbootable, they will need to perform firmware recovery to restore their phones to get it boot up again by recharge battery FULLY!

It happened to me once with my old Galaxy S3 when battery was at around 40%, I thought 40% would be good enough to do security update but the update process was failed and caused Galaxy S3 to unbootable, thankfully firmware recovery restored my phone by recharged my phone FULLY! I will never update my phone again when battery is low so will always update when phone is FULLY recharged.

Soldato
Future of Windows Updates Is Here? Microsoft Begins Introducing an Improved Update Experience

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-promised-future-of-windows-10-update-process/

Just noticed this and checked my Windows Update has new Additional updates available option:

Czkk5eP.png

Was checked ChangeWindows.org this update was released on 29 April.

If I clicked Check for Updates to scan but found no update and it wont automatically install this update so I need to manually install this update.

After updated it, build is now 18362.86.

Was checked on my VM and had the same update on Additional updates available option but wont automatically install update.

Guess the updates will show up with manual install buttons if I used PC everyday and not used Check for updates button for a few days or weeks or long time.

Hmmm interesting.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, it is completely normal, it been like this since Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 on my old laptops.

You probably have a faulty battery or maybe have incompatible battery driver installed. Your tablet should never install updates when battery is low at 20% or less and battery saver mode should activate automatically which will suspend windows update and downloading updates will resume if you plug in outlet to recharging battery.

A few months ago at one time when my Surface Pro 6 battery was low at 20%, battery saver was activated and suspend windows update then at 10% I decided to deactivated battery saver and resumed windows update automatically installed few updates, shutdown and took a few seconds to reconfiguring updates to 30% and restarted few seconds later to another reconfiguring updates to 100% lasted a few seconds and logged in just to see battery reached 8%.

People like you really need common sense when battery is low so you will need to RECHARGE the battery. Many people had done similar mistakes when updated their Android phones and iPhones with security update or firmware update when battery is low can cause Android and iPhone fail to unbootable, they will need to perform firmware recovery to restore their phones to get it boot up again by recharge battery FULLY!

It happened to me once with my old Galaxy S3 when battery was at around 40%, I thought 40% would be good enough to do security update but the update process was failed and caused Galaxy S3 to unbootable, thankfully firmware recovery restored my phone by recharged my phone FULLY! I will never update my phone again when battery is low so will always update when phone is FULLY recharged.

What utter ridiculous rubbish.

I'll reply constructively when I have time in response to such points as why sometimes recharging a battery when in the field or travelling can be problematic.

Man of Honour

This is precisely why I don't use Windows 10 style update behaviour on older OSes as I've said before - by using critical only notify I can manage how I need it and install updates when I'm on AC and it is convenient.

Given that as I've demonstrated before I'm using multiple systems (which also multiplies the annoyance with updates) and there are many others commenting or complaining on twitter, YouTube and various forums, etc. if there is a problem there it is far more likely on the MS side than we've all got duff batteries. Given the not completely uncommon problem with people having to brute force reset the MS ACPI device to get correct battery behaviour I know where my money is. Also low battery isn't necessarily under 20% depending on what someone's planned usage is.

So looks like there is a problem on the MS side or maybe an error with your battery ;) PS an update that might take minutes on a high end system can take an hour or more on a lower powered laptop, etc. never mind the updates that get stuck randomly for like 6 hours just to move 2%.

Like most sensible people I don't have automatic updates on my phone and apply them when I'm on mains and fully charged - unfortunately not a luxury MS wants to afford the end user on Windows 10.

Keeping a device fully charged is easier said than done if like me you are often working in remote locations at all hours of the night etc. or doing serious travelling or many other scenarios - try to think beyond your own immediate use of a system.

Back
Top Bottom