Windows 10

Soldato
A PC I'm setting up for work just got the 1909 update. Wow, I'm surprised how fast it installed even on an old HDD. Memory usage seems better as well, it was hovering around 2.1gb on this low end 4gb PC on 1903 but it's now averaging at 1.5gb.

Permabanned
A PC I'm setting up for work just got the 1909 update. Wow, I'm surprised how fast it installed even on an old HDD. Memory usage seems better as well, it was hovering around 2.1gb on this low end 4gb PC on 1903 but it's now averaging at 1.5gb.

Google Chrome with only 5 tabs - 5 GB of memory gone...

Memory-Usage.png

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Memory usage is a bum road usually because every system will vary. I've got 16GB and 2GB is used by Firefox with 9 tabs. By comparison I have Lightroom open and that's merely using 320MB in the background!

Annotation%202019-11-13%20184523.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Why would you want free memory, it should ideally be caching as much as possible (so make sure your actually comparing use ram not cached ram)
Correct, utilised RAM is efficient memory usage. My post was more amusement at a web browser using more RAM than a heavy photo editing package processing full frame DSLR images :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Who are the loads of people? I don't use Chrome, I use Firefox and don't have a battery or CPU issue with it. Edge is good for watching Netflix stream at 1080p or above (Netflix enforced) and that just about covers it :p

Soldato
Probably because you rebooted. :p

The thing is I just did a clean install of it this morning, so uptime wasn't that high before the update arrived :p. Just finished installing the necessary stuff needed for it and a quick test run for it's daily usage, then did a final check on the updates and saw the 1909 update. Did the same test run a few times and noticed the lower RAM usage. Of course, the rest is used by cache but that's fine.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm maybe Chrome is worse than Edge then, but certainly not Firefox, especially v70 which we are on which has been a tuning success even on these forums.

Permabanned
Hmm maybe Chrome is worse than Edge then, but certainly not Firefox, especially v70 which we are on which has been a tuning success even on these forums.

No.

Google Chrome is the fastest, most stable, most responsive and overall the best internet browser currently available.

Soldato
Has it been 4 yrs since W10 came up on us! Time does fly.
Anyway 5 yrs or so ago I came on OCuk and was pointed in the right direction for a new build (Spec in sig) and also purchased a OEM W7 disk to go with it. I like W7 but time is now running out.
Not long back I purchased a W10 key here on MM so my question is should I now convert to 10 with the setup I have - I am willing to buy a new SSD to put it on. I do have a laptop with W10 on but just can't stand it due to slide finger mouse bit - Using a mouse was better.
Is it just a case of getting used to it or is W10 really that much better.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom