Windows 10

Caporegime
Interesting, didn't know these were new additions to Windows 10, so I'll be messing with these too.. ( Especially as either can affect performance/stuttering ) - No stuttering here, just lower performance for some reason

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ows-10-fixes-various-games-stuttering.258819/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/but4xg/how_to_disable_all_the_spectre_and_meltdown/

UPDATE : Yep this fixed it, Skyrim Modded is back up to what it should be over 60fps all the time

Soldato
I hope not, but seeing this has spurred me on to test the latest 20H1 (19041.172) sooner rather later.
Pleased to report that I can detect no problems so far with my Creative Titanium (non-HD) during my brief testing of Windows 10 19041.172. Will be do a little more testing as and when time allows tomorrow.

Soldato
Microsoft released an out-of-band update yesterday for Windows 10.

Addresses an issue that might display a limited or no internet connection status in the notification area on devices that use a manual or auto-configured proxy, especially with a virtual private network (VPN). Additionally, this issue might prevent some devices from connecting to the internet using applications that use WinHTTP or WinINet.

March 30, 2020—KB4554364 (OS Builds 18362.753 and 18363.753)
Wi-Fi users might want to hold off installing this update.

Windows 10 KB4554364 update breaks WiFi for some users - MSPoweruser
Microsoft recently rolled out Windows 10 KB4554364 update to Windows 10 PCs running Windows 10 Version 1903 and Version 1903. The update added no new features as you’d expected from a cumulative update, but it came with a fix for the annoying VPN bug. However, as is the case with most of the Cumulative updates, KB4554364 apparently has its own issue.

A number of users are now complaining that the KB4554364 update causing WiFI issue. Connecting Windows 10 device running KB4554364 update to a Wi-Fi modem/router now returns the following error message:

Socket error 0×2200021

c:/windows/sywow64/appidpolicyengineApi.dll, instruction cannot be read

The report is yet to be acknowledged by Microsoft which means we don’t have an official solution as of yet. There is one simple solution — uninstall the KB4554364 update.

HOW TO UNINSTALL WINDOWS 10 KB4554364 UPDATE
  1. Hit Windows+I to open the Settings app
  2. Click the “Update & security” option.
  3. On the “Update & security” screen.
  4. Switch to the “Windows Update” tab.
  5. Click the “View update history” option.
  6. Click the “Uninstall updates” link.

V F

V F

Soldato
That still works? I still have mine lying around somewhere but theres nowhere to plug it in (they did away with original PCI slots several motherboards ago)

Yeah, it works very well in fact. No junk in the drivers, no crackling or popping or the ambulance ringing that everyone spoke of from way back. The latest drivers for them are 2018.

Had the card since 2003. I went back to it when they killed the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude with 1903.

I'm still rocking an X-Fi PCI in an X58 PC as a spare rig. 1903 update killed that, along with all the other EMU20K cards. Took Creative a couple a few weeks to sort out a band-aid set of drivers.

Sadly nobody could revive the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude without disabling security features.

Why i decided not to use my Xonar U7 on my new Win 10 rig, as read about them ******* up all the time, so tried the onboard first, to see how it sounded, and its fine, so just using that.

The onboard sound on this board sounds like crap compared to the Audigy 2 ZS/X-Fi Prelude/AE-5 with AKG K702.

Soldato
@V F
As a X-fi Titanium owner, I do understand why you like these cards. In a way I almost wish they never made them so good, as I'm really struggling to find a suitable upgrade.

I have tried the Soundblaster Z and the AE-5 - the Z was just a joke out of the box and I couldn't get it to sound anything like my X-fi. The AE-5 was better, but I really struggled to setup the sound so it sounded like my CMSS-3D Surround Sound configuration. If I had been able to get it to work my surround system, I'd have kept it.

I'm considering trialling the AE-7, but I'm struggling to justify nearly £200 for something to sound like my £50 sound card. And there is no guarantee it will sound how I want, therefore could well just end up returning it.

My biggest issue is with CMSS-3D. I can't find anything that comes close to it, not even by a country mile. Part of that is probably to do with my Technics EH-760 surround sound system, but I don't envy the cost of the alternative.

Soldato
I’m having an issue with desktop windows manager causing my PC to freeze for X amount of seconds every few seconds.

My GPU usage whilst it freezes is 100%. This is being utilised by DWM according to task manager.

It also cause my GPU core clock to go to 2190 MHz. It boosts to 2000mhz normally and this can cause some artifacts on screen.

Any ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom