Windows 10

Associate
culprit seems to be "ntoskrnl.exe!seaccesscheckwithhint+0x1c790"

From what I can gather after searching on google, no-one can identify what that specific process does and people guess at simply needing to updating drivers.

I'd personally nuke whatever that process is if it's hammering my system so hard and determine its malware/malicious.

Man of Honour
From what I can gather after searching on google, no-one can identify what that specific process does and people guess at simply needing to updating drivers.

I'd personally nuke whatever that process is if it's hammering my system so hard and determine its malware/malicious.

You can't really nuke it - it is hooked from the System process and is deeply embedded in the OS - it certainly isn't malware I've gone through a number of levels of eliminating that. Potentially it is driver related as it seems to only affect some systems, mostly laptops, but it seems largely be due to a bug in Window's memory and storage handling routines.

(From what I can tell the core problem resides with Windows but the exact nature of how a system is affected by it seems to depend somewhat on the drivers in the mix).

Soldato
Yeah Windows is generally speaking a nightmare to deal with it's such a shame that the majority of software is bespoke to this OS making a transition to nix or ios much more challenging. I have used nix several times in the past and every time i end up using it for longer and longer periods as every time it has more and more support but it's still not an OS you could give to your grandma if you catch my drift.

I have recently gotten a new laptop a pretty much top of the line one. 12700h 3080ti 32gb 4800mhz ram and a 360hz display. Had absolutely loads of weird issues with it and tried to contact the manufacturer about it who gave me the usual make sure the drivers are up to date and if not update the bios all of which were of course all already done. The system was using windows 11 which i don't like anyway so i decided to go back to windows 10 as i don't want to figure out how to fix it on W11 then have to fix it again on W10... turns out W11 was causing the problem and since going on W10 it's considerably more stable. I don't know how every time ms launch a new OS it's an absolute horror show. W11 will go down in the same books as W8 IMO

Man of Honour
Sigh trying to update someone's tablet for them which is having problems with 21H2, probably doesn't help it is low spec and probably should have never sold with Windows 10 on it but that is another matter... Soon as you turn it on gets unusably busy with Windows update tasks in the background, restart it and it tries to install the update but just sits there on 0% however long it is left even a whole day, turn it off and it recovers the installation and boots back into Windows but then does the exact same thing over and over - tried completely wiping out the install but as soon as it gets to the same point, same problem.

Haven't tried myself but apparently if you block the update after 1-2 weeks it tries to install it all over again - I'm the 3rd person they've had look at it.

Without using Windows Update Blocker, which means relying on a 3rd party tool of relatively unknown security risk, the device is unusable and means a lot of messing about in future to keep on top of security updates.

Soldato
Sigh trying to update someone's tablet for them which is having problems with 21H2, probably doesn't help it is low spec and probably should have never sold with Windows 10 on it but that is another matter... Soon as you turn it on gets unusably busy with Windows update tasks in the background, restart it and it tries to install the update but just sits there on 0% however long it is left even a whole day, turn it off and it recovers the installation and boots back into Windows but then does the exact same thing over and over - tried completely wiping out the install but as soon as it gets to the same point, same problem.

Haven't tried myself but apparently if you block the update after 1-2 weeks it tries to install it all over again - I'm the 3rd person they've had look at it.

Without using Windows Update Blocker, which means relying on a 3rd party tool of relatively unknown security risk, the device is unusable and means a lot of messing about in future to keep on top of security updates.

3 person had a looked at someone tablet failed to resolved Windows 10 issue? Not very impressed. :o Tablet owner must be think that you and other 2 persons are absolutely rubbish at fix Windows 10 issues. The 4th person would resolved Windows 10 issue on someone tablet, that would be me if I had a look at someone tablet!

What is someone tablet brand and model, CPU, RAM and SSD?

When you had a looked at the tablet. Did you ever tried stopped Windows Update service and deleted C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION?

I never had Windows 10 update stuck at 0% on my 9 years old Linux 10 tablet and 7 years old Meegopad T01 with Intel Z3735F, 2GB RAM and 32GB SSD both usable are incredible still going strong with 32 bit Windows 10 21H2. It a shame both device had 32 bit UEFI that was impossible to update to 64 bit UEFI so I cant installed 64 bit Windows 11 on it, 32 bit Windows 11 did not existed and also 64 bit UEFI for both devices was not existed. I had a look on ebay found both device are worth £50 each, I will think of sell both devices in a few months. :) I not used both devices much as I used my Surface Pro 6 tablet a lot, only used both devices once every 4 or 5 months to installed Windows 10 updates, it was very quickly and simple, Windows Update tasks never been busy in background, no need a lot of messing about in future to keep on top of security updates.

Man of Honour
3 person had a looked at someone tablet failed to resolved Windows 10 issue? Not very impressed. :o Tablet owner must be think that you and other 2 persons are absolutely rubbish at fix Windows 10 issues. The 4th person would resolved Windows 10 issue on someone tablet, that would be me if I had a look at someone tablet!

What is someone tablet brand and model, CPU, RAM and SSD?

When you had a looked at the tablet. Did you ever tried stopped Windows Update service and deleted C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWAREDISTRIBUTION?

I never had Windows 10 update stuck at 0% on my 9 years old Linux 10 tablet and 7 years old Meegopad T01 with Intel Z3735F, 2GB RAM and 32GB SSD both usable are incredible still going strong with 32 bit Windows 10 21H2. It a shame both device had 32 bit UEFI that was impossible to update to 64 bit UEFI so I cant installed 64 bit Windows 11 on it, 32 bit Windows 11 did not existed and also 64 bit UEFI for both devices was not existed. I had a look on ebay found both device are worth £50 each, I will think of sell both devices in a few months. :) I not used both devices much as I used my Surface Pro 6 tablet a lot, only used both devices once every 4 or 5 months to installed Windows 10 updates, it was very quickly and simple, Windows Update tasks never been busy in background, no need a lot of messing about in future to keep on top of security updates.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be helpful or just being a jerk. I've clearly already tried that kind of stuff myself - I've posted many times demonstrating advanced ability to diagnose OS problems - if this was something there was a trivial fix for I wouldn't have been posting here about it.

It just sits on this screen forever:

SkOsFHX.png

Until you hit the power button then it reverts the update and boots into Windows but then proceeds to try and do it all over again apparently unless you block the update but apparently that also only prevents the problem temporarily (I've not had it long enough to test that myself).

No logs, update troubleshooter does nothing, completely wiping out the install and going from latest install media does nothing, updating all drivers or trying older drivers, etc. does nothing, purging the relevant folders (including catroot), messing about with the various DISM command line options, disk clean-up and so on does nothing...

(Yes it is a low spec Atom tablet with 32GB storage which shouldn't really have ever been sold with Windows 10 but that is another story)

Soldato
Until you hit the power button then it reverts the update and boots into Windows
Last time I (accidently) restarted my PC during an update it corrupted my windows, and it wasn't able to repair itself either.
But might've been different in my case as it had actually started changing files etc.

Man of Honour
Last time I (accidently) restarted my PC during an update it corrupted my windows, and it wasn't able to repair itself either.
But might've been different in my case as it had actually started changing files etc.

Funny I just forced it to power off after it had been at the screen above for about 20 hours - to get this screen when it booted back up:

W6Np1HT.png

What is that the ******* Windows 95 UI?!?!

Wouldn't let me continue (there is no relevant external storage media) or get to any recovery option but fortunately booting via the install media I've managed to get it back into the OS again - but as usual troubleshooter can't see any problem :s though the OS gives an update failed notification.

Got this email earlier:

UVQADTr.png

Just had to facepalm - if they actually had spent even a second working with real end user feedback they might have maybe produced something not riddled with obvious problems which people are complaining about in the various Windows 11 threads.

Soldato
@Rroff
Please don't think that I'm questioning you, because I'm not. But that "Working on updates" text sounds a lot like Windows 11. Maybe I'm just completely wrong or I misunderstood your post, but I don't think that tablet is running Windows 10.

Anyway, with that tablet I would just force a clean reinstall. Boot from a USB stick, wipe it and hope that works.

This is what I mean about the wording on the update screen:
n08sp0w2eda71.png

Man of Honour
@Rroff
Please don't think that I'm questioning you, because I'm not. But that "Working on updates" text sounds a lot like Windows 11. Maybe I'm just completely wrong or I misunderstood your post, but I don't think that tablet is running Windows 10.

Anyway, with that tablet I would just force a clean reinstall. Boot from a USB stick, wipe it and hope that works.

This is what I mean about the wording on the update screen:
n08sp0w2eda71.png

As mentioned in my post already tried wiping it and clean install. It is definitely Windows 10 - both 10 and 11 use a black screen for the initial deployment stage of an update (after rebooting and before Windows itself is loading).

Soldato
As mentioned in my post already tried wiping it and clean install. It is definitely Windows 10 - both 10 and 11 use a black screen for the initial deployment stage of an update (after rebooting and before Windows itself is loading).
I knew I must have overlooked something, my bad.

Could it possibly be the SSD failing? Being a tablet, however, it probably won't be replaceable.

Man of Honour
I knew I must have overlooked something, my bad.

Could it possibly be the SSD failing? Being a tablet, however, it probably won't be replaceable.

I did wonder about hardware failing but aside from this issue it does seem to run everything else fine, passes memtest and basic storage scans. I've tried various approaches but it is always this one update which is the sticking point, all other updates work fine other than having to mess about to ensure there is enough free storage space.

These kind of devices should never really have been sold with Windows 10 - I have similar problems with one of mine with a similar spec but I've always been able to solve it worst case by using a USB stick with the latest installation media.

Last edited:
Soldato
These kind of devices should never really have been sold with Windows 10 - I have similar problems with one of mine with a similar spec but I've always been able to solve it worst case by using a USB stick with the latest installation media.
I was reading the thread and I was coming to that conclusion. There needs to be a specific light weight version of Windows specifically designed for mobile devices, including tablets.

On the last error you showed about it asking for you to insert external storage, are you sure there isn't a problem with the internal storage?

Have you been able to reboot the machine properly after that message, or is it just stuck showing that message now? If your stuck at that message I'm wondering if there is a problem with the internal storage device. Is there any way to check its health, or how much % data is on the, I'm assuming SSD? How many writes does it have left? etc.

I've noticed that the early days of SSD were very small, even for PC's. But we could fit a bigger storage HDD along side it. Though laptops generally didn't have that ability and was stuck with just the small SSD. I think tablet SSD's were even smaller.

Man of Honour
I was reading the thread and I was coming to that conclusion. There needs to be a specific light weight version of Windows specifically designed for mobile devices, including tablets.

On the last error you showed about it asking for you to insert external storage, are you sure there isn't a problem with the internal storage?

Have you been able to reboot the machine properly after that message, or is it just stuck showing that message now? If your stuck at that message I'm wondering if there is a problem with the internal storage device. Is there any way to check its health, or how much % data is on the, I'm assuming SSD? How many writes does it have left? etc.

I've noticed that the early days of SSD were very small, even for PC's. But we could fit a bigger storage HDD along side it. Though laptops generally didn't have that ability and was stuck with just the small SSD. I think tablet SSD's were even smaller.

It was stuck on that message but I was able to recover the installation from USB Windows installation media, I can't be 100% sure there isn't a hardware error but everything else works fine, nothing showing as a problem in SMART, etc. just seems to be this one update.

Soldato
It was stuck on that message but I was able to recover the installation from USB Windows installation media, I can't be 100% sure there isn't a hardware error but everything else works fine, nothing showing as a problem in SMART, etc. just seems to be this one update.
When doing the clean install, are you removing all partitions? I personally like to use Diskpart and the clean command to pretty much guarantee that no previous data is retained on the drive.

An old tool I use sometimes on SSD drives, is ForceTrim. After cleaning the drive with Diskpart, try to run ForceTrim from a command prompt window (Shift + F10) in the Windows installer. Then leave it a good 5-10 minutes, or even longer, so the drive zeroes itself.

If the problem persists after this, I would be questioning either internal storage or installation media - more than likely the former, to be honest.

Man of Honour
When doing the clean install, are you removing all partitions? I personally like to use Diskpart and the clean command to pretty much guarantee that no previous data is retained on the drive.

An old tool I use sometimes on SSD drives, is ForceTrim. After cleaning the drive with Diskpart, try to run ForceTrim from a command prompt window (Shift + F10) in the Windows installer. Then leave it a good 5-10 minutes, or even longer, so the drive zeroes itself.

If the problem persists after this, I would be questioning either internal storage or installation media - more than likely the former, to be honest.

Can't remember exactly what I did as I've tried lots of stuff/been busy with other stuff, but generally I format and repartition when doing a wipe and reinstall.

I've tried installing from the normal Windows Update screen in settings as well as using 2 different versions of the installation media, 20H2 and the latest one, so it isn't that - it is always on the same update the problem happens so I'm 99% sure it is an issue with that update rather than the hardware. All the other updates take fine.

Man of Honour
Something very wrong with this system even after a clean install - the Windows Update log files constantly growing, if I kill wuauserv, etc. to clean out update files it respawns within 5 minutes - I've basically had to go to town force killing all the processes I can while still keeping the system functional to do some more advanced diagnostics/tweaking or Windows components are fighting each other causing issues (and wuauserv constantly being force restarted). It is possible it is partly related to Intel Security Assist as much as Windows itself - I don't really understand what is going on underneath but it seems to be some kind of race condition within Windows itself causing problems.

Now sat on "Getting things ready -- 0%" in the settings screen... but I think I've managed to stall off one of the things which was causing problems...

EDIT: So it isn't the 21H2 update itself which is the problem - I can't narrow down exactly what it is but once Windows gets to a certain point in the update chain just before 21H2 something breaks - can't even install newer optional updates without the same problem happening at that point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly which version of Windows 10 are you installing?

My way of thinking is that you're installing an old version of Windows (19044.1586 or below) and Windows is then updating itself to 19044.1645 (the latest non-preview build at time of posting). So by building an ISO with the latest Windows updates installed, you would hopefully not have Windows Update bogging the system down, trying to update. The best way to do this would be to use UUP Dump.

Of course, you then have the small matter of what happens on the next cycle of Windows updates, on the 10th of May. :D

Man of Honour
Exactly which version of Windows 10 are you installing?

My way of thinking is that you're installing an old version of Windows (19044.1586 or below) and Windows is then updating itself to 19044.1645 (the latest non-preview build at time of posting). So by building an ISO with the latest Windows updates installed, you would hopefully not have Windows Update bogging the system down, trying to update. The best way to do this would be to use UUP Dump.

Of course, you then have the small matter of what happens on the next cycle of Windows updates, on the 10th of May. :D

I have 2 different USB installation medias - I'm not sure off the top of my head the Windows version - one was created a little over a week ago, the other when 20H2 was released. Both of them encounter the same problem, just at different points. With the older one I can boot and it is fine up until it gets to the point of trying to install 21H2, the latest one causes problems just trying to install beyond a certain point.

EDIT: The 20H2 one the setup version is 19041.1 - can't check the other at the moment - can't be bothered checking the install file version to be more specific.

EDIT2: If it comes to it the next cycle may solve the issue even if the install chain is different.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't read all of the posts, but around 6 years ago or so I had endless issues with Windows updates and it ended up being a faulty NVMe drive. I tested it with a load of tools and they all passed, I RMA'd it and it went back to Samsung and they confirmed it was faulty. Once the new one was in I didn't have any more issues.

Back
Top Bottom