Windows 10

Man of Honour
I haven't read all of the posts, but around 6 years ago or so I had endless issues with Windows updates and it ended up being a faulty NVMe drive. I tested it with a load of tools and they all passed, I RMA'd it and it went back to Samsung and they confirmed it was faulty. Once the new one was in I didn't have any more issues.

It is a possibility. But from beating it with a hammer it seems to be either a specific recent update or the combination of some recent updates which is causing a problem with the Windows update backend somehow - but whatever combination I've tried so far it still breaks when it gets to a certain point even though individually none of the updates is seeming to cause it.

EDIT: I think I'm making progress sort of - but the hardware is so scraping the barrel for Windows 10 it is slowing going at the best of times.

Man of Honour
I would keep that tablet powered on all day and let it do its thing. Reboot it as required and keep praying. :(

I've previously left it for 20+ hours and it never budged from 0%.

I think I'm making progress now though - 14% installed since I last posted... it has taken a lot of hitting it with a hammer though.

EDIT: Well it is finally updated to 21H2 now - as much luck as judgement and just hammering away at it - got a few new post update issues (Windows theme is messed up) but I don't have the energy to tackle those today.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've previously left it for 20+ hours and it never budged from 0%.

I think I'm making progress now though - 14% installed since I last posted... it has taken a lot of hitting it with a hammer though.

EDIT: Well it is finally updated to 21H2 now - as much luck as judgement and just hammering away at it - got a few new post update issues (Windows theme is messed up) but I don't have the energy to tackle those today.
Once up and running to a clone of the drive (if possible!)

Man of Honour
Once up and running to a clone of the drive (if possible!)

I'm hoping future consolidated updates will avoid whatever is causing the problem... maybe. Not sure I'll bother keeping an image as chances are I won't see the system again - this has got them thinking about buying something else.

Soldato
How on earth do I get rid of this: https://i.imgur.com/EZUbbnq.jpg

My search bar was nice and slim before with no stuff on the side. I've only noticed this recently, I deleted a ton of bits and bobs I don't want but this has crept in.
I have noticed this appearing on Customer's PCs, I thought this was something they had installed.

Its like the news rubbish that also got installed via Windows update.

I have the search bar removed on mine

Soldato
How on earth do I get rid of this: https://i.imgur.com/EZUbbnq.jpg

My search bar was nice and slim before with no stuff on the side. I've only noticed this recently, I deleted a ton of bits and bobs I don't want but this has crept in.
I got rid of this at the weekend on a laptop and from memory right click on the task bar, and it's an option in that menu. Something like search trending or preview something.

It was quite obvious when I was in that menu just can't remember exactly what it was called.

Man of Honour
As I haven't moaned for awhile... I've been setting up a Mini PC (which comes with Windows 10 pro) for a simple file serving task... Windows 7 or Linux it boots up then stays in a pretty steady state using just under 3 watts average... Windows 10 averages at nearly 7 watt... due to the amount of time updates, maintenance, malware protection and so on tasks, etc. etc. kick in. Unfortunately Windows 7 has a few little issues with the hardware/drivers as it is a bit outdated now and while Linux will do all the tasks needed it would be handy to have Windows on it.

*facepalms*

Man of Honour
Interesting - trying to copy some old files from one network location to another on a Windows 10 system and it is throwing a head fit and refusing to copy with "Error 0x800700E1: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software". These are simple text files I created myself and are not malware in any shape or form but short of going to town on disabling Windows 10's malware protection it won't let me copy them whatsoever not even an option to force it acknowledging the risk.

Man of Honour
Weird. Must be a false positive. Have you tried uploading one to an online checker just to be sure?

Definitely not a virus. They do contain, amongst other stuff, some scraps of old mIRC script stuff I was playing with years ago (all my own code).

I'm assuming the odd partial references to network socket access or the XDCC script is throwing a false positive but annoying Windows gives you no options short of disabling everything security related to work around it.

EDIT: Windows is identifying them as:

"Backdoor:IRC/Fserver.gen" - Severe
"PUABundler:Win32/SaveNow" - Low (EDIT: This one was actually triggered by an old copy of the daemon tools installer in the same folder).
"Tool:AndroidOS/Multiverze" - Medium

They 100% are not - though they do contain snippets of mIRC script - 100% my own stuff and 100% just text.

EDIT: Annoyingly doesn't seem to be any way to specifically say allow that file - either have to make the machine vulnerable to that actual malware so as to allow that file or it blocks everything.

EDIT2: Somewhat ironically - it is allowing me to copy some old Quake 3 files intentionally infected with malware from the days when I was involved with testing anti-cheat software. No complaints about those...

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: Annoyingly doesn't seem to be any way to specifically say allow that file - either have to make the machine vulnerable to that actual malware so as to allow that file or it blocks everything.
Have you check the Protection History section of Windows Security? When it shows the list of detected threats, you should see a button with Allow or Restore.

Man of Honour
Have you check the Protection History section of Windows Security? When it shows the list of detected threats, you should see a button with Allow or Restore.

Yeah - the only options I have is to quarantine, remove or ignore all detections of that type - not just the one file.

Man of Honour
Good thing I have backups albeit not the most critical of files - when I selected to ignore Windows 10 has decided to erase the files from the original location... (not quarantined, etc.).

Soldato
It may just be me being paranoid, but is anyone else experiencing random bsod and the odd slow start into Windows?

I have. And it's literally only just been in the last month or so. Accompanied by the usual push to upgrade to 11.

I've been away all week, got in earlier, powered up (which seemed to hang after initial login), and was immediately confronted by an 11 upgrade ad. I declined and carried on into Windows, only for my system (explorer.exe stopped working etc.) to hang moments later. I had to force a shutdown because the system had stopped responding! After a reboot, my rig's been fine.

Recently, I've also been having random bsod, usually on initial boot. Not had anything for a couple of weeks now, so fingers crossed that was just a bad update. Makes me wonder if it's not all somehow connected though?

Back
Top Bottom