Windows 8 relieved (video)

Associate
I just had a scary vision of the future where the traditional pc is extinct and there are stinking tablets and smartphones everywhere begging us to touch their fisher price user interfaces :p

Soldato
Looks to Me more like they have taken the failed win mobile 7 and adapted it for Tablets/PC.
Personally I think it will fail just like the phone OS basically because the compertition is free, and I do worry about the future of the PC as we know it !

Man of Honour
Looks to Me more like they have taken the failed win mobile 7 and adapted it for Tablets/PC.
Personally I think it will fail just like the phone OS basically because the compertition is free, and I do worry about the future of the PC as we know it !

WP7 hasn't failed? Its actually very good, it just needs time to mature a bit more.

Man of Honour
You think not :D Good,bad or indifferent the sales are poor and that's the bottom line !

I know not.

Nothing gets launched and then immediately does well, especially not phones. Most people are in contracts for expensive phones and won't all immediately buy a new one as soon as they are launched.

WP7 is doing well, it most certainly has not failed, that was a stupid thing to say.

Soldato
Just occured to me watching the video again just how well the UI would lend itself to being controlled by Kinect, especially for a media PC hooked up to a TV/Large screen...

Soldato
Just sitting here after watching that thinking what about the business users? lets be honest as things are progressing.

There's 2 types of business users. The ones who are still using XP with Office 2000 and don't even know Windows 7 exists or the new savvy business users that want lighter, more portable, better battery life touch devices.

I think Windows 8 looks amazing and I'm really glad MS have had the guts to move on.

Let's look at phones. MS didn't move with the times with Windows Mobile, WM6 was archaic, cumbersome and died because of it. As we move to an era of ARM chips, tablets, media TVs MS have to move with the times or suffer the same fate.

Soldato
Let's look at phones. MS didn't move with the times with Windows Mobile, WM6 was archaic, cumbersome and died because of it. As we move to an era of ARM chips, tablets, media TVs MS have to move with the times or suffer the same fate.
Extremely good point...

Soldato
Sure the whole trend is like dropping a toolbox for a box of crayons, but I'd like to think they can still have a user selectable conventional interface !

Why stop there, Give us the full functionality/option list on a clean install and I'm sure everyone would be happy ;)

Associate
Well I love it.

This is going to change the tablet market completely, tablet's should have a full OS and be designed to work with touch, just as MSFT have done with Windows 8.

I can't wait to see what hardware is available when this is out.

Oh and an oversized IPod Touch is not a tablet, never was and never will be.

Permabanned
A great example of microsofts direction is the windows 7 taskbar. While they made some changes they also offered no way to disable them and some of them are annoying. For example they removed the ability for right click on the taskbar to come up with the properties context menu. Instead it comes up with a jumplist. I have never used the jumplists and find them a bit slow and waste of time. To get in to the real right click menu I have to hold shift and right click.

Someone even made a small app to change the properties by injecting in to the explorer process some new code. Which is not ideal, but these are the basic things that could be added to the OS that make it more advanced.

Now i have to download and run this possibly dodgy .exe from a guy called RaMMicHaeL i am sure he is a nice guy... but not ideal.

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Back
Top Bottom