Windows 8 relieved (video)

Associate
I like how everyone's basing their opinions on Windows 8 off some videos which are obviously specifically designed to show off the new touch interface etc, and not focusing on any other areas which have inevitably been improved upon.

Soldato
Great for tablet users, but so far I see no benefit at all for desktop users and no point moving from 7 for quite a while, and carn't ever see myself pawing the screen in front of me, fingers marks all over it constantly, is not going to work for me

Associate
Vista was never, ever, good or great. To suggest otherwise is grossly negligent.

I thought it was awesome.

One time it bluescreened on my sisters laptop so I rebooted. Immediately the Problems and Solutions window opened with a direct link to an update wireless driver. Can't get much more helpful than that.

Associate
Great for tablet users, but so far I see no benefit at all for desktop users and no point moving from 7 for quite a while, and carn't ever see myself pawing the screen in front of me, fingers marks all over it constantly, is not going to work for me

Why will people not read? You can turn it off and run the regular Windows UI with your keyboard and mouse.

Soldato
Why will people not read? You can turn it off and run the regular Windows UI with your keyboard and mouse.

I ask myself the same thing, like I say I see no benefit in 8 if running 7 as I don't want or need the bloat, weather gadget was one of the first things he goes on about, lol, I know a lot of people get hung up about weather gadgets but it does not require a full screen to tell you what the weather is like, I don't even use one I just go outside myself:p

Associate
NathanE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyKillBot
Vista was never, ever, good or great. To suggest otherwise is grossly negligent.
LOL no it isn't? Vista is a fine OS. Sure it wasn't perfect, but neither is W7.

Windows 7, apart from some Explorer tweaks and a new taskbar, essentially is identical to Vista.

I agree, some may even argue, that Win 7 was a Service pack for Vista.:D

Man of Honour
Why they can't focus on making the os more robust, more functionality, more advanced, instead they want to make it like a website.

Because that's not what some people want.

Technology has moved away from being something that is mostly valued by technically minded people, who value those qualities (robustness, functionality, advancedness etc). It is now becoming an integrated part of the lives of 'normal' people who can live without 100% stability or 10-tiered menus with dozens of features. They want a quick and easy way to interact with their contacts or points of interest.

Does this sort of thing interest me? No, not particularly. But I see people loving it. I can see newcomers to computing (say children and some OAPs) loving it. My uncle wouldn't have a clue how to open a program on a computer, but he could probably pickup a simple touchscreen interface.

Soldato
Because that's not what some people want.

Technology has moved away from being something that is mostly valued by technically minded people, who value those qualities (robustness, functionality, advancedness etc). It is now becoming an integrated part of the lives of 'normal' people who can live without 100% stability or 10-tiered menus with dozens of features. They want a quick and easy way to interact with their contacts or points of interest.

Does this sort of thing interest me? No, not particularly. But I see people loving it. I can see newcomers to computing (say children and some OAPs) loving it. My uncle wouldn't have a clue how to open a program on a computer, but he could probably pickup a simple touchscreen interface.

Agree with that, but what does that mean for the rest of us who neither wants that on his desktop or needs it and it will be completely wasted on a desktop pc, I could just buy an ipod touch to do the stuff that 8 does so far, here's hoping more effort is put into the actual OS rather than the UI

Soldato
I wish they would release a operating system that isn't pre-loaded with loads of rubbish applications that no one ever uses.

I understand some people like loads of pre-loaded applications, but at least give us the choice.

A "Gaming" / "Enthusiast" flavour of the OS would be a great addition. Would love to see a Windows install take up a few GB's rather than 17GB (Give or take).

It's not much to ask is it? A stripped down to essentials Windows operating system.

Soldato
I wish they would release a operating system that isn't pre-loaded with loads of rubbish applications that no one ever uses.

I understand some people like loads of pre-loaded applications, but at least give us the choice.

A "Gaming" / "Enthusiast" flavour of the OS would be a great addition. Would love to see a Windows install take up a few GB's rather than 17GB (Give or take).

It's not much to ask is it? A stripped down to essentials Windows operating system.

Agree, a nice secure stable OS that is optimized for performance and secure for on line (so cheaters could not inject there cheats into memory) gaming would be great for gamers and enthusiasts , make the bloat an optional download,for example ie9 is terrible for more advanced users

Associate
Some will say a gamers edition is such a small market it isn't worth worrying about. I'd say why not just have a bunch of check boxes during install (you would enter a custom install screen to access these) and be as granular as you like. You wouldn't market it as a gamers install but it would be available to anyone who knows what they do and don't want on their system.

Soldato
LOL no it isn't? Vista is a fine OS. Sure it wasn't perfect, but neither is W7.

Windows 7, apart from some Explorer tweaks and a new taskbar, essentially is identical to Vista.

Bull, and I would go on to question your competence as a system engineer. When i get a laptop to service, soon as i notice its got vista on it, that there is an instant recommendation to get windows 7. Vista, fully updated, is a damned slow, awful piece of software. Superfetch in windows vista does not do the job it is meant to do. On a laptop with limited memory, it just rapes the hard drive by requiring constant, permanent paging. Superfetch on vista fills the memory with a bunch of useless rubbish, then anything you actually want to do, including pulling data off the drive, is a slow and painful process.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom