Windows 8 relieved (video)

Soldato
Some will say a gamers edition is such a small market it isn't worth worrying about.

I understand what you are saying, but just take a look at Windows Vista / 7 features.

Gamers / Enthusiasts are somewhat forced to upgrade, for the new eye candy such as new builds of DirectX, and to get the support for the new hardware, such as Trim support for SSDs. On the other hand, the average PC user would still be happy using older versions of windows, as they have no reason to upgrade. Even plenty of businesses, for example colleges and schools are still using windows XP.

All in all, I think they are pushing out their products to the wrong people, maybe they are too busy trying to complete with Mac.. who knows.

Soldato
All that was demo'd was the touch optimised UI designed for slates, tablets and other touch screen devices with a quick flash of what looked like a slightly updated "traditional" UI.

Yes the Metro look UI seems to work with a mouse and keyboard as well as touch, but if your sole choice of OS is based on how pretty the UI looks then this is a wasted discussion. May as well install Rainmeter and the Omnio Skin on W7 (which actually looks fairly similar, is preety good and has been around for 6 months or more :) ).

Baring support for ARM and cues around HTML5/Javascript for dev into the new touch UI there was practically nothing mentioned about any other change to Windows 8 whatso ever. It'd be like having looked at the Windows 7 UI a year before it was released and saying "Jeeze that crap looks just like Vista, they've done nothing but change the start button and wallpaper, i'll pass".

Although the UI look and feel is interesting it's not really the reason to upgrade a UI, hopefully you spend most of your time in Apps, not the OS UI. For me, at least the value will be the improvements under the covers, much like the step from XP to Vista to W7. Once you get past the UI changes (and remember, people hated the XP luna UI when it was first announced calling it "fisher price computing") it's speed, stability, security, support, dev API stuff that's the real deal.

I like the Metro interface for WP7 and I think it could work really well on the desktop. It's not a huge step from the W7 Media Centre UI which supports touch and keyboard/mouse with no problems in terms of being big and for me the Media Centre UI is really nicely done although often forgotten about.. The new UI will work well for touch, but, for a desktop or gaming PC it's the "other stuff" that will be interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, just saw your edit Bunny after you realised he does know what he's talking about.:p

What? I changed a grammatically poor sentence that did not flow to something that made more sense. The actual content conveys the exact same meaning. I also thought calling him an amateur was too insulting/harsh. Questioning somebodies experience fixing systems and calling them amateur became doubting their competence as a a system engineer.

Last edited:
Soldato
What? I changed a grammatically poor sentence that did not flow to something that made more sense. The actual content conveys the exact same meaning. I also thought calling him an amateur was too insulting/harsh. Questioning somebodies experience fixing systems and calling them amateur became doubting their competence as a a system engineer.

What on earth are you on about? This has nothing to do with "fixing systems" or "system engineers" (which you are blatantly not anything of the sort). It's about the fact that Vista is a perfectly fine OS. Its problem is that it was ahead of its time. Hardware of its day was not up to the job of doing it full justice. THIS is why a laptop pre-installed with Vista on it has a high probability of being a bit crap. Shortly after Vista's release the I/O bandwidth of 2.5" HDDs had a bit of a burst (due to perpendicular platter technology). W7 undoubtedly benefited from this in terms of public perception. Along with the various service packs (especially SP2, which brought the kernel in line with Server 2008's), it ended up being an OS not far off the performance of W7. I still use it on my main development workstation, the original install even from Feb 2007. As I said, its a great OS and I've no plans on upgrading until W8.

Soldato
whats more interesting is that MS are moving to a more often release schedule like apple
expect new windows every 2-2.5 years I'd say now.

Associate
I also thought calling him an amateur was too insulting/harsh. Questioning somebodies experience fixing systems and calling them amateur became doubting their competence as a a system engineer.

Which is what I was referring to - you realised he is no amateur.

I had Vista on a Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz with 3GB RAM. I kinda miss it now, was solid for me at all times.

Associate
OP
whats more interesting is that MS are moving to a more often release schedule like apple
expect new windows every 2-2.5 years I'd say now.

the only reason there was such a long time between Vista and XP was the fact that halfway through doing Vista or longhorn as it was known then they decided to pretty much scrap everything and start all over again.

As a few people have pointed out what was shown is only one part of the OS. Everyone else is saying the whole OS is going to be bloated but look at the fact that its running on low speed ARM processors just imagine how fast its going to run on a mid to top of the range gaming system.

I read a few months ago on winsupersite that Microsoft were aiming to design the OS so its more (cant think of the word) basically you would tailor make the whole OS to suit your needs. If you don't need media centre and all this new UI then you can choose at install not to have it.

I'm looking forward to it. It will provide me a great UI and user experience on my laptop/tablet and hopefully provide me with a powerful secure OS for my main PC.

Lets wait and see before we start to slam it. Yes we all have our opinions and I can see why people don't like the whole tiles thing but it doesn't reflect the whole OS and is only one part of it

Soldato
I like what I see so far and can see some pretty cool potential with regard to things like home automation perhaps?

Touch screen in every room with options to control lighting/heating/music etc and maybe a panel in the kitchen for recipes and cooking?

Yeah I know I'm going waaaay into 'the future' but this is how it starts, I'm sure of it! :)

Back
Top Bottom