Windows Update NOT updating?

Man of Honour
From the description that says it only includes updates to April 2016. I gave it a go anyway but it only installed a single update. I updated the wifes pc running windows 7 through windows update and got 18 important plus 3 optional updates. Can't understand why my lappy get's stuck on checking for updates. I have tried wsusoffline, windows update mini tool plus all the fixes from microsoft and nothing works.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Windows 10 upgrade no longer optional?

I have just taken a call from someone whose laptop has been upgraded to Windows 10 - unbidden!

She wants to know how to get back to Windows 7 - is it possible to "roll back"?

Man of Honour
Sadly I am hearing this more and more and it's pretty underhand of Microsoft to force this update through. It is easily undone if you are within 30 days of the "upgrade" though. Just follow these instructions.

Sadly even after trying all suggestions and Microsofts so called fixes I still haven't been able to update windows 7 on my laptop. It still stuck on checking for updates no matter what tool I use. :mad:

Soldato
If you Google about, I believe that you will find that many people have been suffering problems with Windows Update.

I find it difficult to believe that there is absolutely no connection between these problems and Microsoft's determination to have everyone migrate to the Venus Fly Trap that is commonly known as Windows 10.

Yep, it is sadly undeniable that Microsoft has bugged Windows Updates.

In fact the termination of Windows Updates coincides perfectly with the deploying of the GWX adware. You'd have to be retarded if you think Microsoft really thinks they can provide extended support for Windows 7 until 2020 when they're busy doing everything they can to either break Windows Updates for you or silently installing Windows 10 without user permission.

Associate
Sadly I am hearing this more and more and it's pretty underhand of Microsoft to force this update through. It is easily undone if you are within 30 days of the "upgrade" though. Just follow these instructions.

Sadly even after trying all suggestions and Microsofts so called fixes I still haven't been able to update windows 7 on my laptop. It still stuck on checking for updates no matter what tool I use. :mad:

Any cpu usage? If so could be a case of leaving it checking for a day. Just recently reinstalled win7 pro and had a similar problem.
After SP1 it seemed stuck checking updates but since some windows service was pretty active (only when checking for updates as opposed to being casued by installation during user idle) I left it maybe ~30 hrs and it finally picked up some 250 odd updates. Not sure wth it was doing to take so long. System is on an ssd too so not hdd or any other component bottleneck.

Associate
The only time I've seen very extended checking for updates was on a laptop that was clogged up with dust, the updater does thrash the cpu at 100% for a long period and an overheated machine will automatically throttle the processor to a crawl.
Normally when checking for updates you'd see the HDD light blinking quickly as windows files are checked for date/version. When throttled there's very little HDD activity.

Man of Honour
The only time I've seen very extended checking for updates was on a laptop that was clogged up with dust, the updater does thrash the cpu at 100% for a long period and an overheated machine will automatically throttle the processor to a crawl.
Normally when checking for updates you'd see the HDD light blinking quickly as windows files are checked for date/version. When throttled there's very little HDD activity.

Awhile back pulled an old laptop out of storage (cleaned it up so nothing was clogged up) and tried to run Windows update on it and it took a full 3 days of just leaving it running - albeit it was a single core atom (N270 off the top of my head) and a 5400rpm HDD but it was never throttling or anything like that.

Man of Honour

There is no dust at all in my lappy as it was only stripped down to have the cpu upgraded a couple of months ago and it's only really used at the weekend.

Man of Honour
Got another old laptop out after posting above - left it for nearly 5 hours still sitting there searching for updates and doing nothing - now gonna try manually installing the KB in post 17

EDIT: That didn't appear to sort it - tried pretty much everything in this thread and it still sits there endlessly looking for updates.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a little test with a laptop that I haven't used since December. i5 450m, 3GB ram and a 64GB ssd on 5mbit internet and it took about 2-3 hours of checking for updates until it finished with about 40 important and 10 optional. After it found them installing took about 20 minutes.

Associate
Have you created any Symbolic links?

I had an issue in Windows 7 as I had moved my User directories to drive D:\ via a symbolic link (only had a 120gb SSD at the time).

Turns out Windows Update ignored the Symbolic link and constantly got 'confused' trying to locate something in C:\Users (thinking about it, it was one of the updates required to upgrade to windows 10).

Man of Honour
It's finally picked up 21 important and 4 optional updates after being on for most of the day. It's now stuck on downloading updates!! Last week I had it running for 24 hours continously between trying different methods/fixes for a week and it just stuck on checking for updates. Can't make any sense of that. It shows that the convienience update doesn't have this months fixes though.

Associate
Some of the pcs here at work do this. I let it go for a little while and then cancel. On shutting down the updates are applied so it seems to download them but neglects to tell itself it's been done! On rebooting, checking for updates works as it should.

Hope this helps but of course ymmv!

Soldato
I had this on a machine at work running Windows 7 Enterprise. The problem for me seemed to be a corrupt SP1 installation.

In the end I just did a fresh installation after slipstreaming the service pack and then install via a Windows 7 bootable USB stick, though other updates were downloaded via the "Windows Updates Downloader" utility then integrated using DISM.

I also had to run the KB patch for Windows Update linked above followed by the cumulative update then it proceeded to check for other updates (very slowly). SFC /SCANNOW had indicated several corrupt files that it couldn't repair.

Associate
Some of the pcs here at work do this. I let it go for a little while and then cancel. On shutting down the updates are applied so it seems to download them but neglects to tell itself it's been done! On rebooting, checking for updates works as it should.

Hope this helps but of course ymmv!

Identical to my own experience just yesterday, I knew from having just had a different PC install 10 updates that those updates were available but despite leaving a second PC searching for an hour nothing was found.
Stopped the windows update search and decided to update malwarebytes and do a scan as it'd been a while , when finished I checked the shutdown button and now it's now showing updates ready to install.

Back
Top Bottom