Windows Update NOT updating?

Soldato
This is what I did on a Windows 7 SP1 virtual machine:
1) Installed Internet Explorer 11, so I could access the Microsoft Update Catalog site to download the rollup.
2) Installed April 2015 servicing stack update - needed before you can install the rollup.
3) Installed Convenience rollup update (KB3125574).
4) Ran Windows Update.

Obviously restart after installing each update, unless you are told otherwise. After about 20 minutes, Windows Update had found around 35 important updates.

One thing I will mention, is the CPU and memory usage was very high. One process in particular, svchost.exe, seems to be the main culprit.

While I don't use Windows 7, I get the feeling that Windows 7 has been sabotaged to force users to update to Windows 8 or 10. I use Windows 8.1 with no issues, but I use StartIsBack which makes it feel very much like Windows 7 to me.

Associate
Identical to my own experience just yesterday, I knew from having just had a different PC install 10 updates that those updates were available but despite leaving a second PC searching for an hour nothing was found.
Stopped the windows update search and decided to update malwarebytes and do a scan as it'd been a while , when finished I checked the shutdown button and now it's now showing updates ready to install.

Same, This helped me with two pc's but after about a hours they showed as updates to install on shutting down.

http://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-u...speed-up-windows-update-scans/comment-page-1/

I get the feeling that Windows 7 has been sabotaged to force users to update to Windows 8 or 10.

While encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10 would have been fine, the draconian way that Microsoft seem to be doing this seems really unprofessional and certainly dodgy for such a big company. I am actually hoping the EU (whether we stay in or leave) sues Microsoft again as this time they would definitely deserve it.

Soldato
While encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10 would have been fine, the draconian way that Microsoft seem to be doing this seems really unprofessional and certainly dodgy for such a big company. I am actually hoping the EU (whether we stay in or leave) sues Microsoft again as this time they would definitely deserve it.
I completely agree. Users should have a free and clear choice about upgrading to Windows 10. Currently the choice is not clear to the average user, or below, therefore it is neither free once they been tricked into installing Windows 10.

Soldato
I did try Windows 7 SP1 on a netbook last night. It took about 1 hour to find any updates and easily another 2 to install them. But it does have an Atom CPU and harddrive, so an SSD might have shaved a little time off.

Don
MS always do this, they did the same with XP.

Let it get into one hell of a mess without releasing Service Packs or cumulative updates so WU grinds to a halt. Their official response will be, get Windows 10 :D

V F

V F

Soldato
I've first started experiencing Windows Update on 8.1 last night taking 8 - 10 minutes to find a Flash Update. I had never experienced this on 8.1 until now. Windows Update seems to use an awful amount of CPU for finding updates. :s

Until this it had only been happening on Windows 7. 8.1 would find updates within 1 - 3 minutes.

Yet Windows 10 can check for updates under a minute.

Soldato
I've first started experiencing Windows Update on 8.1 last night taking 8 - 10 minutes to find a Flash Update. I had never experienced this on 8.1 until now. Windows Update seems to use an awful amount of CPU for finding updates. :s

Until this it had only been happening on Windows 7. 8.1 would find updates within 1 - 3 minutes.

Funny that you mention that, because I had the same with my Windows Update on 8.1 too. But it seems to be checking at normal speeds now.

Soldato

I had exactly the same thing last night with the flash update! also on Win 8.1!

Then it also had a few security updates from the 14th pending download and I had to scrutinise EACH update to make sure they haven't tried to infect me with the GWX virus.

I did find the following PUP in my recommended updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978
This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.
I'm pretty sure I opted out of any "improvement" programs. Dodgy as hell to say the least. It's doing my head in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a clean install of windows 7 yesterday and had no issues getting updates.

first time checking It took about 45 mins but then its been fine, found 44 updates

Associate
For anyone who's having issues with getting Windows Update to work in Windows 7, try the latest build of WSUS Offline Update (Version 10.6.3). It downloads and builds an update library, then installs them through an automated command prompt script. The latest build is dated 17/06/16, so it won't have the absolute latest updates, but it was enought to unjam my system and get Windows Update working again.

It should work with 8/8.1/10 as well.

Associate
Had Windows stuck in a failed to correctly configure loop when starting the PC. As odd as it sounds, having an optical media in the drive was causing the issue :confused:

Associate
After waiting for windows auto and manual update for more than 24 hrs last week it failed to download anything after a clean install of win 7SP1.

Downloaded and ran these 2 updates in this order:

Windows Update Diagnostic:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-update-issues

Windows Update Client for Windows 7:

KB3138612

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3138612

If like me you are running win 7 64-Bit click link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=51212

After both these updates windows update worked in a few minutes.

Retested again after going back to a system image before these updates and no updates until I ran these 2 again the Windows Update Diagnostic and installed updated KB3138612. Then updates worked again.

Can't be 100% certain it will fix your problem, but for me it did.

Soldato
Having update issue with a clean install of Vista including SP2.

Update check has been running for over 6 hours after I gave up on an earlier attempt that was left for a couple of hours, but I did notice one update was installed without it being registered by Windows Update during first attempt (can't check what it was at present).

Back
Top Bottom