Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

V_R

V_R

Soldato
  1. Patch Notes for Episode 5
    1. Scorpions got nerfed. Significantly reduced accuracy. And the hero character Euron no longer gives a bonus to Scorpion accuracy.

2. Dragons got buffed. Speed and stealth have both been increased. They can now take the hide action while flying.

3. Dothraki have been added back to the game. Fans were upset about their removal, so they’re back now.

4. Battle Times have been shortened. Complaints that the Battle of Winterfell lasted too long have been heard, so now battles last no longer than 5 minutes.

5. Northerners and Unsullied both have reduced honor and morality meters. It is now possible for them to commit war crimes with little to no provocation.

6. Cersei’s speed has been reduced. She now moves sluggishly, if at all.

7. Euron’s plot armor has been removed.

8. The Mountain’s loyalty has been reduced for the introduction of the Cleganebowl game type.

9. Arya’s conviction has been reduced after complaints that she was too OP. Her plot armor has been significantly increased to compensate.
Another Freefolk reader I see...

Soldato
Also got the money, so what do they care :p

Think I've accidentally read the spoilers on social media, bah! Not far from what I predicted myself though to be fair, at this point it's not about enjoying the last episode but simply finding out what happens now.

Soldato
Think they've probably already got that message by now :p
Yeah but how much they reeeeeaally messed up, I guess :p.
Also got the money, so what do they care :p

Think I've accidentally read the spoilers on social media, bah! Not far from what I predicted myself though to be fair, at this point it's not about enjoying the last episode but simply finding out what happens now.
They still have a lot invested in the World of Ice and Fire. Season 8 could definitely hurt their future projects financially.

Soldato
After seeing the other dragon die in the previous episode I thought we were going to see something a bit more clever than a dragon just owning everything. I have no problem with the end of Dany's character arc it's just how it got there. She has seemingly gone crazy over 1 and a half episodes.

She wanted to burn kings landing to the ground in season 7 but Tyrion talked her out of it so I’d say it’s probably been brewing a while. Just took what happened in the last few episodes to push her over the edge.

I guess it’s the fact that everyone she believed in and trusted is now dead, two dragons. And nearly everyone she trusted that is left in westeros is seemingly plotting against her.

It’s a strange one though especially with everything that was said in season 7 about the fact she isn’t her father, apologising to Jon about her fathers insanity.

Soldato
I've just seen the funniest "live" commentary from the US comedienne Leslie Jones (the Black lass in Ghostbusters) and it is stunning, absolutely pant wettingly awesome (esp about Euron vs Jaime) if you're into that sort of ghetto comedy act, but every other word is a sweary so I can't really link it but just search YT for "Game Of Thrones Season 8 Episode 5, with Leslie Jones" :D

Soldato
Guys what makes this worse is they were offered 10 Episodes to finish this season.

Really if that's not a sign they wanted to rush to end what is.

It's not the fact that she turned its how it was executed. It's **** poor.

Yes there has been signs in previous season but to start killing woman and kids in a flick of switch after hearing the bells.... Come on.

It's nothing but shoddy writing. Such a shame to have such a wonderful cast and the production values is unbelievable.

The dragon was nothing but amazing.

There's also the fact that most character arc's have been completely threw at the window

Soldato
Guys what makes this worse is they were offered 10 Episodes to finish this season.

Yes there has been signs in previous season but to start killing woman and kids in a flick of switch after hearing the bells.... Come on.

It's nothing but shoddy writing. Such a shame to have just a wonderful cast and the production values is unbelievable.

There's also the fact that must character arc's have been completely threw at the window
HBO wanted 10 seasons, now that would have given enough time to build satisfying conclusions.

The NK is here! Oh he's dead.
Cersei must die! Oh she's dead.
Dany must die! Oh she's probably dead next episode.

All this in 4 episodes...

Soldato
D+D wanted to get out quick because they knew they were getting Star Wars (also: hahaha)

Don't forget Benioff is the guy who wrote Deadpool into a film with his mouth sewed shut, laser eyes and katana hands.

Associate
Agree her swing was a bit lolwut, but this is also the woman who's being saying for a long time that she'll burn a city down for not helping her (quarth), take what she sees as her through fire and blood, has burnt her enemies alive - multiple times. Hardly stable talk or behaviour. This was to folk, that while having crossed her, didn't actually manage to hurt her too much.
Cersei killed one of her children and her best friend. KL was the city that her family were killed in, they hadn't risen up for her. The battle was over very quickly with minimal bloodshed to her enemies. That wasn't enough for her.

Still, didn't think she'd go that bananas.

I highlighted one sentence from this reply above, not to criticise but just to make a couple of points, one of which others have probably already made, namely she hated cersei so much that instead of making directly for the red keep she decided to burn the city first? her 'main' enemy is right there and she doesn't go for her? doesn't make any sense.

Also that second bit is interesting, the people hadn't risen up for her. And this has been used as some kind of justification? Think daenerys has moaned about this, that 'the people don't love me' etc..... so let it be fear?

You might remember back in season 1 something illyrio says to viserys (dany is listening) about how the people secretly drink toasts in his name and yearn for the return of their true king (i.e. that the people love him), here at the start of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2RnoySgL_M

Dany remembers this and more or less quotes it at the start of season 7 but in a very different way (season 7, episode 2, stormborn). Couldn't find a clip for it, but it's there in the script: https://www.springfieldspringfield....ts.php?tv-show=game-of-thrones&episode=s07e02 and in the episode. She says to Varys:

- Now - They cry out for their true queen? They drink secret toasts to my health? People used to tell my brother that sort of thing, and he was stupid enough to believe them.

what i'm trying to say is she knows herself that it's absolute rubbish and that it's nonsensical to expect the people to love her and rise up for her and now that's meant to be some kind of justification for what she does? that the people don't love her? again, compared to what dany herself said, doesn't make sense and just another thing that the writers seem to have 'forgotten' about.

Sorry, but i'm with those disappointed by this season, not necessarily with the story - most people would have realised by now there woudn't be a happy ending - but with the really clumsy way the writers have tried to get there. They haven't 'sold' the ending to people and have just rushed to get there as quickly as possible while making sure that everything looks epic and cool (because that's the most important thing, right?), even if it doesn't make much sense and ruins character arcs. Sorry, i'm not buying it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't been impressed with this final season.

We've waited two years for this.... :confused:

Where are the epic battle scenes? Previous seasons had much better battles than what has been delivered in the final season.

The battle with Cersei was garbage. She might of well have just left the door open as they breezed through as if there was no defence. There was no fight from the Lannister forces. It was a walk over.

Why couldn't they have made it an epic battle scene out side the city walls etc.....

I'm very disappointed.

Soldato
I highlighted one sentence from this reply above, not to criticise but just to make a couple of points, one of which others have probably already made, namely she hated cersei so much that instead of making directly for the red keep she decided to burn the city first? her 'main' enemy is right there and she doesn't go for her? doesn't make any sense.

Also that second bit is interesting, the people hadn't risen up for her. And this has been used as some kind of justification? Think daenerys has moaned about this, that 'the people don't love me' etc..... so let it be fear?

You might remember back in season 1 something illyrio says to viserys (dany is listening) about how the people secretly drink toasts in his name and yearn for the return of their true king (i.e. that the people love him), here at the start of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2RnoySgL_M

Dany remembers this and more or less quotes it at the start of season 7 but in a very different way (season 7, episode 2, stormborn). Couldn't find a clip for it, but it's there in the script: https://www.springfieldspringfield....ts.php?tv-show=game-of-thrones&episode=s07e02 and in the episode. She says to Varys:

what i'm trying to say is she knows herself that it's absolute rubbish and that it's nonsensical to expect the people to love her and rise up for her and now that's meant to be some kind of justification for what she does? that the people don't love her? again, compared to what dany herself said, doesn't make sense and just another thing that the writers seem to have 'forgotten' about.

Sorry, but i'm with those disappointed by this season, not necessarily with the story - most people would have realised by now there woudn't be a happy ending - but with the really clumsy way the writers have tried to get there. They haven't 'sold' the ending to people and have just rushed to get there as quickly as possible while making sure that everything looks epic and cool (because that's the most important thing, right?), even if it doesn't make much sense and ruins character arcs. Sorry, i'm not buying it.

I've never watched Harry Potter, but apparently the character Alan Rickman played was for all intents and purposes seen as something of a bad guy throughout the series till the last book when it was revealed it was all a front. Alan Rickman was aware that there was more to his character than being an antagonist very early on, and so played him with that information in mind all through the series. Thus when the reveal came, it worked and everyone bought it.

It seems Emilia Clarke didn't know (and the writers didn't think?!) about her heel turn until this season. Thus for 7 seasons she's been portrayed as a protagonist (as much as anyone is in GoT) with the actress having no idea what her character was fated to do. Then in season 8 - and this isn't exclusive to her character by any means - there's all these 'xyz needs to happen so characters will do this and this, regardless of whether that would be consistent for that character' to have everyone treat her like ****, Jon be written virtually mute so he's unable to say literally anything to her other than 'ur ma Queen, I don't want it' and the audience are expected to believe that after all she's gone through, some bells make her have a Falling Down moment and act completely inconsistently with the character we've followed for a decade.

They spent the entire of series 7 hammering away at this Chekovs Gun (one of many) of her presumed infertility which turned out to mean absolutely nothing, when they could have at least made some effort to build up to this instead. They also spent series 1-7 building up the threat of the dead and Cersei as the 'big bad', only to get rid of them in entirely underwhelming ways and leave us with dragon Hitler and her respawning army for the very. last. episode. ever. It's just stunningly bad.

Associate

It's nothing but shoddy writing. Such a shame to have such a wonderful cast and the production values is unbelievable.

There's also the fact that most character arc's have been completely threw at the window

If she'd been all dead-eyed murderess about it I'd have been on board, after all that scene with Jon showed it was pre mediated. The fact they showed her as torn and 'going mad' on ol' Drogon made no real sense. She's advocated killing at pretty much every turn, and accepted killing of innocents at collateral damage before now, why would it suddenly bother her so much? Burn them all Dany.

Soldato
It wasn't even collateral though, it's not like the KL soldiers were still fighting and civilians got caught in the crossfire. Everyone had surrendered, the gates were open, she could have just flown to the Red Keep and burned Cersei alive. As others have said, it's not the fact that she's 'gone mad', it's the incredibly rushed way in which the writers portrayed it. That's the biggest complaint about this season, everything feels really rushed, which is a real kick in the teeth for passionate fans who have watched the previous seven seasons, hoping for an epic conclusion to the story.

Also, D&D's writing has been inconsistent and at times forgetful of what they've established in previous seasons. Jaime's redemption as a character was thrown away with a few brief lines of dialogue about how he'd never really cared about innocent people, despite having killed the Mad King to stop thousands of people from being blown up. Then you have Varys, previously very cunning and cautious, caught out by being uncharacteristically sloppy with his whispered conversations, and every single one of Tyrion's recent mistakes is just passed off as 'whoops, it's happened again', despite Dany having previously warned him that he'd be replaced if he made any more. In previous seasons he was mocked as being nothing more than an impish fool, but now he's actually nothing more than that.

It really feels like we could have done with either ten episodes for the final season, or possibly a ninth season after this one to develop things in a more organic and deliberate way.

Back
Top Bottom