1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Hostile_18, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Who will rule Westeros?

Poll closed May 18, 2019.
  1. Daenerys Targaryen

6.8%
  2. Jon Snow / Aegon Targaryen

30.8%
  3. Sansa Stark

13.8%
  4. Arya Stark

8.1%
  5. Bran Stark

2.1%
  6. Sam Tarley

3.0%
  7. Tyrion Lannister

9.8%
  8. Jamie Lannister

0.8%
  9. Cersei Lannister

2.1%
  10. Gendry

10.8%
  11. Brienne of Tarth

1.3%
  12. The Night King

4.9%
  13. Other (please specify)

5.7%
  1. Efour

Capodecina

She deffo was gonna go full pelt on Westeros that was the reason he killed her, is this a Joke?

She was communism with a Dragon.

2. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

I don't why this "you just think it sucks because it doesn't match your headcanon" became the go to defence for franchises turning to excrement lately but no, my problems with this season are nothing to do with it not matching what I thought was going to happen.

Hell Lucifier just finished up it's season on Netflix, not one thing went down the path I thought it was going it yet it was great.

3. chroniclard

Capodecina

Ah well, I have only watched 6 of the current Lucifer and think it's sub par compared to the other seasons....so far.:p

4. Sheff

Hitman

I enjoyed it, I much preferred this season to season 7 - the plot armour and fast travel in season 7 set such a low bar that I think this was above expectations.

In my opinion there were 3.5 great episodes, 1.5 average ones and 1 pretty bad one. A lot of questions went unanswered (Night King in particular) but I guess they'll be explained in the prequel and spinoffs.

5. FrankJH

Capodecina

I don't recall Gendry even appearing - what happened to him (and one of the older, from a story pov, North bannerman appearing out of nowhere after doing nothing for a series or more getting a small speech)

6. Noakesy85

Gangster

how did the Winterfell crew make it to KingsLanding in a couple of weeks when it took Robert and Co. 3 months in the first episode?

7. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Teleportation was clearly present in Westeros, it was just another thing they decided not to explain.

8. neoboy

Capodecina

More importantly, where do we go and what do we watch now :p

9. Kyo

Mobster

Not to mention the respawn of Dothraki and Unsullied. Our army is decimated? no problem? Have some continuity for crying out loud??! Made no sense at all.

10. Nitefly

Man of Honour

It took them 2 months and there was nothing to say “a couple of weeks” in the final episode.

11. Kyo

Mobster

Did u see D&D mentioned Danni had forgotten about the Greyjoy army so thats why her 2nd dragon got killed. These explanations are laughable.

12. jimjamuk

Mobster

This season just turned into a generic fantasy script when we are expecting full on GOT politics, murders and assassinations and surprises. Its almost like they just wanted rid of the thing and to put it all to bed. Soo many missed opportunities with the big characters gone. Like I said there should have been a big surprise plot twist 15 mins before the end with some clever story and even putting Bran on the throne using some special power. Not kill off Dany 15 mins in after doing the Star Wars new order scene then run down the clock just filling in peoples stories to make sure it there was no doubt that either the characters were dead or doing a happy ever after.

Missed oppotunities

Bran - no idea what his raven gifts are - just a fairly boring character
    Jon - has a fully fleshed out heritage that was just ignored in the end
    Dany - had about an hours worth of going full mad before being done in
    Arya - they gave up on her story after episode 3

I could probably go on for each character but they went for the blandest of bland endings - I wonder if G Martin signed that off because you can bet he wont write that if he ever finished the books

13. Kyo

Mobster

Exactly just flush all of the major plot points and make up some half heart clumsy s**t as we go along. Oh we got our zombie bear though :rolleyes:
    ===============================

Martin is a sneeky sod- Its a marketing ploy imo, Why would anyone want my read books if they know the end. He will let the dust settle and let the disappointment set in. Then grand reveal, read my books for the "proper" ending to GoT. It will sell like hot cakes.

14. Washout

Wise Guy

Was more like a month? Plus Robert went at Robert speed and would spend days at a time taking advantage of some lord or another's hospitality (much to their annoyance) - from the books.

15. Tombstone

Capodecina

Seems that it was a surprise that even the three eyed raven didn't see coming..

"He told Entertainment Weekly: 'I genuinely thought it was a joke script and that showrunners [David Benioff and D.B. Weiss] sent to everyone a script with their own character ending up on the Iron Throne. Yeah, good one guys... Oh ****, it's actually real?"

16. Vern1961

Mobster

Well that was all a bit... anti-climactic.

Had tried to avoid spoilers other than who became King but the story telling just seemed to fall away. As one of the daily papers stated today in their review, when several minutes of screentime had to be devoted to Tyrion arranging chairs for the Cabinet meeting and Brienne writing up the story, the writers must have been struggling. Actually Tyrion was the only character I was genuinely concerned for and sure his head would be removed by the episode end but, no, his "treason" kind of just fizzled out and even Grey Worm could only muster a hard stare, despite earlier summarily executing prisoners on very shaky ground.

In fact he was so busy cutting throats, he neglected to assign any bodyguards to Danni, who must have realised Jon would be coming for her. Even Drogon seemed stoned and couldn't muster any enthusiasm to protect or avenge his wayward mother/mistress.

Could have been so much better, the winding down should have been confined to the last 10 or 15 minutes of the episode.

17. tyler_jrb

Mobster

She certainly had more empathy in her voice than I was expecting. It’s dependant on what freeing meant I guess. Killing the masters and freeing the slaves as with the rest of the series or killing everyone who opposes her as in kings landing.

I can’t help but think that with bran king. It won’t be long before someone else decides they want/deserve the job and it’s back to the old ways and the wars start all over again.

All speculation of course.

18. Yas786

Caporegime

Something that is much better written than this steaming pile of dog crap. Something like Chernobyl mini series is immense with half the budget that GOT had but in essence is much much better.

19. Scam

Capodecina

What a daft way to think about it. GRRM knows 99% of people that know GoT know it from the TV show rather than the books. They equate him with the TV show. Sullying that reputation to sell more books would be utterly, utterly daft. And you think a man that makes $15m/year would really do that to sell more books? He'll make more from the TV money (prequels etc.) than he could ever fathom from selling books.

20. CliffyG

Capodecina

I quite liked all of season 8 but thought the ending was disappointing as a few things didn't make sense to me.

• Jon spends quite a while defending Dany's actions, even taking his love of her into account he is literally the least likely of all characters to defend them. It's ok though, quick change of heart and he stabs her.
    • Why does the dragon melt the throne, I get the symbolic effect but the dragon wouldn't have a clue.
    • Tyrian comes out and is told to not talk as he is a prisoner, 1 minute later he does a massive speech and makes a decision for the whole kingdom on how future kings will be chosen.
    • Sam being at that meeting.
    • Bran as king.....
    • Jon sent to the Nights Watch after agreeing to the terms of it (which seems pointless now) yet buggers off with all the wildlings.
    • Sansa being allowed to have the north yet no one else asks the same of their land.
    • What on earth has turned Arya into Christopher Columbus?
    Overall it has been a brilliant series but like many before it the ending kind of detracts a little.