Winter Olympics 2018

Soldato
I think her going out was the best decision. Had she made it through, it would have been much harder in the next race and probably would have caused more damage. She just needs to get on the mend now.

On another note, since this Olympics, I'm really getting in to curling.

Soldato
Her head must have been all over the place given what's happened over the last few days, and she looked even more nervous after the start-line collision. Given her injuries and the crash getting on the rink and finishing the race was an achievement in itself in my opinion.

She's made some poor moves herself, but the 500m wasn't her fault (her hand was swiped from under her). Given her success away from the Olympics some of the above comments are on the harsh side.

It's a sport where it's rare for a race not to have a fall or penalty, and sadly for Christie her mistakes and poor luck all seem to come about in the Olympics.

Soldato
Just watching the speed skating 3000m women’s relay. Another complete shambles to be honest. I think it should just all be dropped completely from the Olympics.

I know right.... I'm struggling to see half the skill in the event. It's just a cluster **** of idiots falling over because there is no room to move.

Soldato
Yep, was just about to say that speed skating is a bit of a farce, it seems like the judges just make stuff up as they go along. I don't know speed skating well but it seemed obvious that Korea should have been penalised in that relay, their skater fell and took out the Canadian and Italian girls. For some bizarre reason Canada and China got penalised. It feels like the judges bottled that because they didn't want to make a decision against the host country.

Soldato
The commentators keep saying the referees have access to footage/camera angles we can't see. They need to make this public so plebs like us can make sense of their decisions.

Soldato
had not realised this
I think that would be great for many sports, even give the tax payer/lottery user, a credit to assign how they want (I guess they cannot reclaim tax)
who would you give your money to ?

Two female bobsleighers who appealed for crowd-funding donations to travel to the Winter Olympics discovered on Tuesday they had achieved their dream of being selected for Team GB.

Mica McNeill and Mica Moore set a crowd-funding target of £30,000 in September after being told there was only enough money to fund the men's team at the Pyeongchang Games in February. The duo achieved their target within six days.

Don
Not really a big fan of half-pipe, looks no different to watching a bunch of kids doing it.

Edit:- Actually I’ll take that back, some of them are really good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm really getting in to curling.

Me too, after starting watching the Canadian season last year. I couldn't wait for the Olympic tournament to kick off after learning of Muirheads stature in the sport, it hasn't disappointed.

Huge game tonight against Canada and Rachel Homan. Homan dominated the Canadian trials, but has had a lousy time at the Olympics, and is in a must win situation. Eve wins, and we've all the momentum to kick home the gold heading in to the semi's.

Soldato
Speed skating is like F1 with the silly penalties, it just looks like a complete cluster ****.

I’ve nothing really against the girl, but I just don’t like her for some reason.

I remember watching the curling last time around, it’s strangely addictive!

What is it with the female snow boarding? Some right stunners in that lot.

Soldato
Anyone watch the carnage of the Womans Team Speed Skating......that was just mental!!

Also I ain't no soppy git - but that skating from the Canadian pair today was beautiful......

Associate
had not realised this
I think that would be great for many sports, even give the tax payer/lottery user, a credit to assign how they want (I guess they cannot reclaim tax)
who would you give your money to ?

Was aware of this and actually gave some money.

The embarrassing thing I think is the fact they had their funding pulled and it now looks as though they're going to do better than the men's 2 man bob!

The whole funding allocation is skewed IMO.

Caporegime
She's been using the Cathy Newman line of defense to deflect all criticism of her failure, accuse everyone of abuse/trolling and pull out the victim card. I don't think that will help her improve going forward.

Associate
I think the Women's Snowboard Cross final (day 7 in case you missed it), was the most exciting sporting event so far. Was incredible.

And that chick (Elizabeth Swaney?) who played the system to get to the Olympics, and went down the halfpipe doing no tricks at all - legend!! :)

Back
Top Bottom