Winter Olympics 2022

Man of Honour
It is. I had to go into the red button to get the Luge event which is stuck in Standard Definition.

BBCs coverage is indeed dire, as is the way that they act as if they cover winter sports all the time. Thankfully, Eurosport, with 5 HD channels exclusively covering the winter olympics more than makes up for it.

Associate
I just looked at the medals table. Never mind gold, we're at the very bottom of a list of 21 countries and we're the only ones without a single medal of any colour so far and the Olympics are almost halfway done. Shockingly bad and embarrassing.

Just happened to see this on the BBC, were only on day 5, so not unusual not to have achieved a medal yet. (Of course depends on the scheduling of events). UK Sport has set a target of between 3 to 7 medals for Beijing 2022.

First GB medal at Winter Olympics

1994 - Day 9: Torvill and Dean, figure skating bronze (Total GB medals at Games: 2)

1998 - Day 14: Four-man bobsleigh bronze (Total medals: 1)

2002 - Day 12: Alex Coomber, skeleton bronze (Total medals: 2)

2006 - Day 6: Shelley Rudman, skeleton silver (Total medals: 1)

2010 - Day 7: Amy Williams, skeleton gold (Total medals: 1)

2014 - Day 2: Jenny Jones, snowboarding bronze (Total medals: 5)

2018 - Day 7: Dominic Parsons, skeleton bronze (Total medals: 5)

Man of Honour
Just happened to see this on the BBC, were only on day 5, so not unusual not to have achieved a medal yet. (Of course depends on the scheduling of events). UK Sport has set a target of between 3 to 7 medals for Beijing 2022.

I think 3 to 7 is unlikely for this games for us, not a massive surprise though, as a nation we dont really invest heavily in winter sports nor have a big following of it amongst our population. We're much more inclined toward the non-winter sports (both as a nation and as a people)

Soldato
I think 3 to 7 is unlikely for this games for us, not a massive surprise though, as a nation we dont really invest heavily in winter sports nor have a big following of it amongst our population. We're much more inclined toward the non-winter sports (both as a nation and as a people)

Mainly because most people unless living abroad have the ability to do them regularly, not like ice rinks or ski slopes are in abundance as they just don't generate any revenue.

Soldato
Ice Skating is the one I feel we could improve massively on. We can't conjure up mountains or loads of snow so you're always going to be hamstrung when it comes to the alpine stuff. We do on the other hand have plenty of ice rinks (most major cities have one) yet our run of skating success ended nearly 30 years ago and we've not even had a sniff since!

We used to be a joke in Gymnastics till we got our act together and now we're a top level country at it so it can be done.

Man of Honour
she is unbelievable - 15 years old and already they are saying she's the greatest female ever as she's doing routines that no one else can even come close too....

Mesmerising to watch

Sadly Valieva has tested positive for a banned drug and now the IOC are discussing what to do regarding the medals

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Simple, strip the cheater of her medal. 15 or not the rules are clear.

The UK has/had good chances in some of the mental ski/border cross events but I think a few of those ships have sailed as well now.

Most UK ice rinks are ancient and need replacing + we do things stupidly and never make them Olympic sized when we build them.

Back
Top Bottom