Winter Olympics 2022

V F

V F

Soldato
It was crazy the weather conditions today for the skiing. At times you could barely see and they were crashing hard on the course.

Curling is mostly filler when there isn't much else happening, and we do or rather did have medal winners in that in the recent past unlike almost everything else.

The real thing that is 100% coverage is bloody snowboarding its incessent I think the BBC is desperate to appeal to a younger audience though the winners I saw last night were 40 and 36 respectively

At times I still cannot get over how awesome the coverage of the London Olympics was. Every event I could find when it was on and it was on time so therefor I was glued to the first week.

Soldato
It was crazy the weather conditions today for the skiing. At times you could barely see and they were crashing hard on the course.

At times I still cannot get over how awesome the coverage of the London Olympics was. Every event I could find when it was on and it was on time so therefor I was glued to the first week.

Helped that the climate and time zones meant everything was on at a convenient time.

Man of Honour

Yeah I watched the skiing live in the wee small hours and the visibility was so bad I really thought they were going to cancel it after the first 3 skiers.

V F

V F

Soldato
Helped that the climate and time zones meant everything was on at a convenient time.

I've been finding it very hard to keep track of what I wanted to watch with this event. From delays and waiting on re-runs or them not appearing on the re-runs.

Man of Honour
I've been finding it very hard to keep track of what I wanted to watch with this event. From delays and waiting on re-runs or them not appearing on the re-runs.

Predominantly so far I have watched live all of the curling, all of the figure skating, all the skiathlons and biathlons, all of the ski jumping, super G, downhill, slalom and G slaloms. Its been a lot of very very late nights :)

Soldato
.. yes so this decision is independant of WADA - who disagree with outcome .? ..
how much money does the Russian state/business put into athlete sponosorship otherwise in comparison to West though - should be some caps like levelling up in formula1, say;
the trans/testosterone issue is also still boiling under the surface for next summer olympics (the female swimmer breaking the usa college records - bbc programme other week)

Super G was exciting - hard to know what kind of snow contrast the skiers had (they didn't all appear to ski in amber) and whether it was a big slice of luck, them not being able to see the artificial sub-surface, beneath the new snow.

Associate
Joke ruling from Cas... a drug cheat is still a drug cheat

Russia won't change in such a short space of time, possibly never long as Putin is in charge. The classic misinformation, ridiculous denials and hacking of interested parties over the years suggests they will continue to dope on an industrial level (the Russian secret service were used back in 2014 for God stake!).

It's not just the Olympics but everything from holes in space stations blamed on home sick unstable astronauts, soldiers on leave visiting Crimea to secret service visting a tall cathedral in Salisbury.

I feel for the 15 year old, i really do as i expect she had no choice but once this is over the Russian ban needs extending far beyond. They need a timeout from letting any Russian athletes taking part for 2 or 3 Olympics (8 to 12 years) until they can sort themselves out, even as an independent. Sorry to the lost generation of athletes but blame your Gov not the West.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Agreed Russia need min 2 Olympic rounds bans both Winter and Summer. Simply not good enough, they are making sport a mockery with their doping.

Man of Honour
I feel for Valieva, she has to go out now tomorrow and skate, knowing that even if she wins (as expected) the Olympic gold, it will be tainted and forever considered a "false" win and all most likely because of something that wasnt her fault and might not have even been aware of

Soldato
whether practically, drugs effects could still be present -helping vertigo must help with a quadruple spin ... might have been useful for Biles.

WHAT IS THE DRUG?
The medication trimetazidine is a metabolic agent that helps prevent angina attacks and treats the symptoms of vertigo, according to the European Union’s medicines agency. It can increase blood flow efficiency and improve endurance — both crucial to any high-end athletic performance.

Associate
Her legal team have said Grandpa's medicine could have been the cause...that maybe she drank a glass of water from him containing his drug.
Case & point, it's almost comical.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Yeah bloody cheats. If I was a competitor I would be on the first plane home in protest. All those years of training and sacrifice to have something as "my Grandads" drink thrown in your face

Man of Honour
Here goes Valieva in the womens short program, lets see how she does

EDIT : mistake on the first jump but the rest of the routine was pretty flawless, she'll be in the lead going into the free program

Soldato
Russia won't change in such a short space of time, possibly never long as Putin is in charge. The classic misinformation, ridiculous denials and hacking of interested parties over the years suggests they will continue to dope on an industrial level (the Russian secret service were used back in 2014 for God stake!).

It's not just the Olympics but everything from holes in space stations blamed on home sick unstable astronauts, soldiers on leave visiting Crimea to secret service visting a tall cathedral in Salisbury.

I feel for the 15 year old, i really do as i expect she had no choice but once this is over the Russian ban needs extending far beyond. They need a timeout from letting any Russian athletes taking part for 2 or 3 Olympics (8 to 12 years) until they can sort themselves out, even as an independent. Sorry to the lost generation of athletes but blame your Gov not the West.

Am struggling to argue with any of that.

Associate
Must be heart breaking for athletes missing out holding the medal in the stadium. Watched by millions and something to behold for you, your family, friends & co-athletes, only for the medal (that you were denied by drug cheat) delivered by DPD months later with congrats letter.
Also half these folks get paid **** all and spend months scrounging for income, not all get huge grants from Governments or payed sponsors in large quantities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom