Winter Olympics 2022

Man of Honour
Simple, strip the cheater of her medal. 15 or not the rules are clear.

Its more a question of what happens with the medals, this is in the skating combined event, so ROC won that event by 9 points, if you subtract Valievas contribution then the ROC team are left with 54 points which would be third, so what the IOC have to decide is do they remove the Gold medals from all the ROC skaters or just Valieva, if they remove just Valieva do the USA then have grounds to say well that puts the ROC in Bronze position, not Gold, so none of the ROC team should have Gold at all and we should have gold instead, does the rest of the ROC team , who won their events , say well we didnt test positive so we should keep our own golds , etc etc. It all would have been much simpler if it was just Valievas event but as it was the combined medals its going to take them a bit of conflab to sort out.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Ahh thanks, explains the situation a little more. (I hate figure skating as its a waste of a good ice-rink which should be used for speed skating or ICE-Hockey)

Personally the right course of action for me is to remove the individual from the team and hence the points, if the rest of the team are hopefully clean, then their efforts should still stand, they have put the work in for the past 4 years to get to the Olympics and if their team effort is good enough for Bronze then bloody well done them.

The next Olympics the country should be banned from that very same competition though. Russia will never learn, they really must have some cracking chemists.

Soldato
Its more a question of what happens with the medals, this is in the skating combined event, so ROC won that event by 9 points, if you subtract Valievas contribution then the ROC team are left with 54 points which would be third, so what the IOC have to decide is do they remove the Gold medals from all the ROC skaters or just Valieva, if they remove just Valieva do the USA then have grounds to say well that puts the ROC in Bronze position, not Gold, so none of the ROC team should have Gold at all and we should have gold instead, does the rest of the ROC team , who won their events , say well we didnt test positive so we should keep our own golds , etc etc. It all would have been much simpler if it was just Valievas event but as it was the combined medals its going to take them a bit of conflab to sort out.

Why is it any different to a relay or similar event? Where one failure equals everyone stripped.

Man of Honour
Why is it any different to a relay or similar event? Where one failure equals everyone stripped.

Well, I mean, obviously I dont work for the IOC so I dont really know why, you'd have to ask someone at the olympic committee. If I was to hazard a guess then maybe because the relay is still one single event, whereas the team medal is multiple events, in multiple different divisions of skating, each individually scored and graded and then the team medal being based upon an amalgamation of the individual event scores. But as I say, it would only be a guess.

Soldato
Confirmed as a banned substance. Fell sorry for the girl tbh but she can’t be given that medal.

So sad - just awful that a 15 year is done for doping. I honestly just feel for the girl. Whoever assisted/advised (intentionally or otherwise) should be the one being punished.

Such a shame - the world at her feet..I do worry greatly for her welfare

Caporegime
Just read about this in an article along with a statement from an American who said they could try and prosecute the Russians involved under the American Rodchenkov Act if she gets to keep her medal.

This act allows America to seek up to 1 million dollars in damages and up to a 10 year prison sentence for athletes and coaches involved in cheating an American out of a medal.

Quite surprising this act even exists considering their embarrassingly poor record of doping, their lack of lifetime bans for repeated dopers and their failure to imprison them. In fact, it's disgraceful.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Shocking state of affairs....

Same as the BBC who seem to think curling is the only sport worthy of 100% coverage.... everywhere i look its chuffin curling. Its like Bowls great game to play.... boring as hell to watch.

Man of Honour

Same as the BBC who seem to think curling is the only sport worthy of 100% coverage.... everywhere i look its chuffin curling. Its like Bowls great game to play.... boring as hell to watch.

I'm a big fan of curling :)

Mind you, you're quite right, BBC coverage sucks. Eurosport is the only way to go, 5 HD channels of 24 hour Olympics coverage, you get to see every event live

Associate
I'm insanely impressed by Nils van der Poels in the 5000m and 10 000m speed skating. He set a new world record on 10 000m with 2 seconds and he finished 14 seconds ahead of the 2nd place skater.. Absolutely awesome

V F

V F

Soldato

I remember when I was a young teenager going to my gran's early/mid 90s and falling asleep when the winter Olympics was on with the curling. Snooker has that same effect.

It was all the skiing events I always loved. Snowboarding, Bobsleigh and the Luge.

I have to admit though, even though curling is boring to watch, I admire the skill for curling that is quite insane. The judgment for speed they push or how hard or soft and positions for all the angles is quite amazing.

Soldato
you are right looks like sour grapes by bbc, or excessive ouyjah protest by winners -
forget which comeptition it was where commentator saving words were that we had beaten usa to 4th place.

ice hockey's more fun than curling - hard to remember what ambiance a crowd used to give ... were there loads of empty / new hotels in beijing

Soldato

Curling is mostly filler when there isn't much else happening, and we do or rather did have medal winners in that in the recent past unlike almost everything else.

The real thing that is 100% coverage is bloody snowboarding its incessent I think the BBC is desperate to appeal to a younger audience though the winners I saw last night were 40 and 36 respectively

ice hockey's more fun than curling - hard to remember what ambiance a crowd used to give ... were there loads of empty / new hotels in beijing

Ice hockey is the most boring thing imaginable its a guaranteed switch over to something else

Soldato
So sad - just awful that a 15 year is done for doping. I honestly just feel for the girl. Whoever assisted/advised (intentionally or otherwise) should be the one being punished.

Such a shame - the world at her feet..I do worry greatly for her welfare

Russia need a proper ban, not the slap on the wrist they got last time.

Back
Top Bottom