Witcher 3

Associate
I've had a brief forage into Skellige but went back to Velen to complete more side quests and treasure hunts.

Just when I think I've found most ? places on the map more pop up.

Associate
Hi all,

I am after some advice really. I bought this for Christmas and have only just got around to playing it this week (PS4). I am really enjoying it so far, not far into it as you can imagine. I have only really just reached Velen and have met the Baron and have taken on the first mission for him. I am currently level 5 (just).

What I am confused on though is what to do with alchemy and what to do with the items I find? I have tried searching for a guide on alchemy (I haven't made anything since the griffin), not found anything that explains in simple terms what I should be making, how to make it etc. Can anyone explain what to make or point me in the direction of a good guide.

And, should I sell all the items I loot (swords etc) or dismantle them? Is there anything I should really be keeping?

As I said a little confused by it all still, haven't played a witcher game before, but hoping someone can help.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi all,

I am after some advice really. I bought this for Christmas and have only just got around to playing it this week (PS4). I am really enjoying it so far, not far into it as you can imagine. I have only really just reached Velen and have met the Baron and have taken on the first mission for him. I am currently level 5 (just).

What I am confused on though is what to do with alchemy and what to do with the items I find? I have tried searching for a guide on alchemy (I haven't made anything since the griffin), not found anything that explains in simple terms what I should be making, how to make it etc. Can anyone explain what to make or point me in the direction of a good guide.

And, should I sell all the items I loot (swords etc) or dismantle them? Is there anything I should really be keeping?

As I said a little confused by it all still, haven't played a witcher game before, but hoping someone can help.

Thanks.

I am in Skegllige now and around level 23 I think. Up to this point I have just used Swallow, Thunderbolt , some oils on the sword and grapeshot and samum. I am sure that's about it!

Did anyone else get the two failed quests when they picked up the ugly baby? I have moved on since then but a colleague at work said they were really good quests that I missed out on.

Soldato
Just sell everything you come across, no point in dismantling gear really until later on when you might need the rarer materials for creation.

In terms of alchemy, you can be as interested or not as you want to be, really. You can identify a few basic ones you think look good and you'll pick them up naturally as you play or you can eye up some seriously good combinations and invest a lot of time and effort into them.

Associate
I've totally skipped the alchemy upgrade tree. Just got 3 sign skills that I liked and put the rest into the red/combat skill tree.

As for making the potions and stuff, just make them as you find the recipes and resources to make them. You will soon have loads in your inventory. Most you only have to make once. You'll get a lot of the recipes from the ?'s dotted around the map or you can buy them but they're expensive for some. Places of power give you 1 upgrade point and you'll find some of those at ?'s.

Swords and armour I just sell unless it gives me a boost. If you're going for the trophies/gwent cards be sure to look on youtube at the ones that can be missed as you can't get them if you do.

Soldato
So I picked this up and have started to play through, I'm having a mare with the signs, they don't work for some reason? At first the crossbow would come up even though I had set it to a sign in the menu, so I unequipped the crossbow but it just doesn't work whatever one I try? Am I being dim or is this a known bug? I've tried to carry on without using them but now have several quests I can't finish.

Soldato
Thanks, yes, been doing that but it doesn't "stick" if you get what I mean? I go into the spell menu and choose IGNI, press the select button, then If I go back into the menu it will show as being active but it won't activate. If I add the crossbow to the menu it will always default to that until I unequip it. Very odd or I am being thick maybe.

Associate
Brilliant game still playing on PS4 upto level 46 currently on blood and wine DLC.

Kind of got my girlfriend addicted to Geralt now she's on her 2nd main story play through but she's not touched the DLC yet.

Looking forward to the series starting in Netflix. :cool:

Associate
Thanks, yes, been doing that but it doesn't "stick" if you get what I mean? I go into the spell menu and choose IGNI, press the select button, then If I go back into the menu it will show as being active but it won't activate. If I add the crossbow to the menu it will always default to that until I unequip it. Very odd or I am being thick maybe.

I think but not 100% you have to press X aswell when in the L1 menu to select the sign.

Soldato
Just started playing through this properly, I think it's going to be hard going after BotW.

The movement and feel, especially on a horse doesn't work for me, very floaty. With Zelda it always felt much more weighty.

I can see why Witcher received such high acclaim at the time but coming to it new it seems quite clunky.

Will keep at it for a while and see if it clicks but feeling it might be on the MM soon.

Also, Geralt seems like a bell end.

Soldato
It is nearing 5 years old now so I suppose it might feel a bit dated. I have not played it on Switch yet only PS4 and Xbox One. It seems ok on them to me from what I remember, I’m planning another play through at some point so might pick it up on Switch...

Back
Top Bottom