woke up this morning wanting to die

Man of Honour
I turn 35 tomorrow and I know how you feel.
Change something about your life. Whether it's take the meds that were offered (no shame in doing so) or find something else to do with your time. Get out (not just to the gym) more and meet new people. If you're looking for a new partner, and you've been looking - you'll probably meet someone awesome when you stop :)

Also, at least this isn't you:

Caporegime
its like 50/50 i knew some people that have pretty bad side effects on them, so I **** scared of taking them.

People are different, if the side effects are bad you can try different ones or different doses. It seems like you're a pretty anxious person so meds that control the anxiety instead of the depression may be a good start as they go hand in hand a lot of the time.

Soldato
Well if your "dreams" haven't come true for 40 then rip them up and make some new ones for 50. no point trying to flog a dead horse - just start again, find some things you enjoy and go for it.

Soldato
There is only one goal to aim for

"Make sure you don't make a similar post when you're 50"

There are thousands of 40 year old women thinking the same thing....so go out and find one.

Caporegime
Have you tried counselling OP? Does your work offer any employee assistance services that include counselling? A lot of employers do these days but no-one uses them. Don't be afraid to ask for help from whoever is available - family, GP, others - I cannot stress this enough.

Soldato
Stop wallowing in your own misery and go do something useful? Volunteering is a good idea as doing something positive will help lift your spirits and also get you out of the house.

You've still ample time to turn your life around, but you won't achieve that by whining about it.

Associate
forget the meds, they're not for everyone. I feel, in western society, we're too focused on 'quick fixes', what pill can I take to sort this or that...
Have you considered counselling or group therapy to work through what's going on in your head?

Main focus should be working on your depression, after that the confidence in yourself will grow and the anxiety will start to drop making it easier to meet people.

I know what you're saying about the gym, I joined one years ago as a way to meet people, I ended up just doing my own thing and not really talking to anyone, even the classes didn't help.
Have you thought about other fitness activities? indoor climbing, running club something along those lines?

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Associate
OP
Have you tried counselling OP? Does your work offer any employee assistance services that include counselling? A lot of employers do these days but no-one uses them. Don't be afraid to ask for help from whoever is available - family, GP, others - I cannot stress this enough.

Already seem my GP,but typical no help here take these, the NHS mental health services seems to be pretty poor in this area.

Soldato
Stop being so negative for a start.
You fit, healthy etc

Make a plan - whether it's travelling, doing a challenge, meeting new people etc - embrace the fact your only 40, your fit and healthy and just try getting up in the morning with a positive attitude and life looks much better!!

Wise Guy
Associate
OP
Stop being so negative for a start.
You fit, healthy etc

Make a plan - whether it's travelling, doing a challenge, meeting new people etc - embrace the fact your only 40, your fit and healthy and just try getting up in the morning with a positive attitude and life looks much better!!

the problem I cant, I wake up grasping for air in the mornings, my anxiety levels are high when I wake up.
I know I'm lucky in some areas, but some how my brain does not see it.

Associate
You look lean and good for 40 man.

Just gotta work on that attitude I guess. Counselling might help.

Think its something that no one can really answer other than yourself. You gotta just try and search for things that make you feel positive. Try and ignore all the negative crap. There are people in considerably worse situations than you so try and count yourself lucky :)

Soldato
the problem I cant, I wake up grasping for air in the mornings, my anxiety levels are high when I wake up.
I know I'm lucky in some areas, but some how my brain does not see it.

Have you considered that this may be caused by something like sleep apnoea? If you're not getting a proper nights sleep, you will of course feel run down mentally and emotionally.

Go see a doctor.

Caporegime
Looking good OP, no homo.

You definitely need to address the anxiety if it's got you grasping for air in the morning, whether with meds or counselling, go see your doctor again in my opinion. Try either or both, it might make you feel weak at first for "giving in" but in the long run it could change your life and make you stronger than you ever imagined you could be.

Back
Top Bottom