Wolfenstein: The New Order

Man of Honour
:confused: Just play the Game FPS is bull all you ever want is smooth GFX and this game delivers :)
It's openGL so you can even run it without later windows resource hog.

The problem is the 60fps cap rather than smoothness, vsync on at 60hz/fps = horrid input lag, vsync off with a hard 60fps cap doesn't play nice with the update rate of the monitor giving lots of tearing which can be minimised so that it mostly imperceptible with higher framerates, but with a hard fps cap you don't have that option so sadly I've never been able to play through this game.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
One of best FPS games i have played in the past 5 years, bloody brilliant.

10/10

(runs a treat on SLi 580s everything on high apart from some texture loading thing)

Man of Honour
RAGE would like a word with you :p

That was unplayable on release and still unplayable now so carmack certainly shafted me on that one.

What a diabolical mess that was.

Ran smooth on my system on release, though I know it didn't for everyone - AMDs drivers for the game caused a lot of issues as they were slow releasing the same version to the public as the game was developed on.

Last edited:
Associate
I got this for xmas and well it looks and runs like crap. On Ultra it sits at 60fps most of the time, with some annoying dips occasionally but my gpu usage is very poor at about 75% max.

The game seems locked at 60 fps with vsync off but even with vsync on I still see tearing. It doesn't feel smooth at all. The graphics look ugly, no AA and blurry textures. Very disappointing.

Associate
I got this for xmas and well it looks and runs like crap. On Ultra it sits at 60fps most of the time, with some annoying dips occasionally but my gpu usage is very poor at about 75% max.

The game seems locked at 60 fps with vsync off but even with vsync on I still see tearing. It doesn't feel smooth at all. The graphics look ugly, no AA and blurry textures. Very disappointing.

How's the gameplay?

Man of Honour

Yeah I hate the 60fps lock makes the game unplayable for me. IIRC the game uses its own adaptive vsync which might be on which disables if your performance is dropping under 60fps but has some problems even so as you will often drop to the next vsync multiplier i.e. 30fps before it kicks in.

Could try using VSR or DSR to fill in for AA but I find it doesn't like it much on my setup for some reason - I have played around with a lot of console settings to try and get it running something bearable for me so might have some incompatible setting I've forgotten about in effect.

Soldato
it's an average shooter at best, Metro Last Light is miles better and it doesn't even begin to compare to the brilliant gameplay and melee of FC3.

but Wolfenstein's biggest fault is that it depicts the Nazis ruling the world right now, this is just total rubbish and it ruins the game completely.

finally, it's far buggier than FC4 so take care, mind you, you'll probably never play it again anyway so who cares

Associate
it's an average shooter at best, Metro Last Light is miles better and it doesn't even begin to compare to the brilliant gameplay and melee of FC3.

but Wolfenstein's biggest fault is that it depicts the Nazis ruling the world right now, this is just total rubbish and it ruins the game completely.

finally, it's far buggier than FC4 so take care, mind you, you'll probably never play it again anyway so who cares

Good recommendation re. Metro. I was tempted by WTNO but this prompted me to give Metro another try.

As for Nazis ruling the world in the present day, there's nothing wrong with that as a concept for a storyline. "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K Dick and "Fatherland" by Robert Harris both did this succesfully as books, so an alternate reality for a game is fine imho.

Soldato
Good recommendation re. Metro. I was tempted by WTNO but this prompted me to give Metro another try.

As for Nazis ruling the world in the present day, there's nothing wrong with that as a concept for a storyline. "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K Dick and "Fatherland" by Robert Harris both did this succesfully as books, so an alternate reality for a game is fine imho.

nothing wrong with it as an idea, it's just totally unrealistic in reality... they had too many enemies all around them and not enough men and armour, they had the quality, but not the quantity... however you see it, it makes Wolfenstein highly unrealistic and a very odd game to play.

Soldato
nothing wrong with it as an idea, it's just totally unrealistic in reality... they had too many enemies all around them and not enough men and armour, they had the quality, but not the quantity... however you see it, it makes Wolfenstein highly unrealistic and a very odd game to play.

It was unrealistic once he invaded Russia, who knows what would have come out of that unholy union if he had been talked out of it.

Although to be honest, its a video game... I suppose you hate any game with bullet time or any sci-fi I suppose as it is all unrealistic?

Soldato

You could pretty much say most games are unrealistic by breaking it down like that. It's a game, meant for entertainment purpose.

Soldato
Finished this yesterday, Very short game, Graphics to me don't look that good and now after playing this and RAGE I think this Engine is quite poor.. Hope DOOM 4 can pull through!

+ The Music and acting is very good
+ Guns and how the feel is rock solid
+ Art and Level design
+ Story - Also a - for being very short
+ Quite a bit to find and collect inside the maps, if you played games like Duke Nukem 3D and how the hidden places was you understand this game's layout.

- Performance Locked to 60fps and at 1080p and 290 + i7 2600k the game will drop from that 60fps on Max settings. The game dont even look that good its because of the streaming textures the ID engine uses and when it starts to load frame rate can drop.
- Very short story, I lost my save and had to start again I think I completed it in 5 hours on second to last difficulty setting.

8/10

Associate
I finished this yesterday and I do not understand the high praise its been getting. It was a very generic shooter and short too. Graphics were awful in parts, only the gun models and enemies looked any good. Things in the far distance like the lunar landscape or huge background building looked like low rez jpegs. Guns felt nice and blasting away Nazis was satisfying but there was no depth or invention here, I see no reason to play through it ever again.

RTCW is a classic and this pales in comparison.

Associate
I have just finished this aswell very short game all in all I enjoyed it. but some of the checkpoint saves drove me nuts and the silly little laser gun hole not quite cut run about find wall socket nearly deleted it.

Associate
ok, so I picked this game up cheap in the steam sale and didn't really thinking about it running on the ****** tech5 engine.
Unfortunately it suffers from the same slow loading texture problems as Rage, which I just cannot play.
Just wondering if there has been any fix for this problem or any ways to improve it? Otherwise, like Rage its gonna have to go.
Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom