Woo-hoo, clocks go back this weekend

Blimey, early to rise and early to bed, I'm hardly likely to change now after sixty odd years. We are usually on the 'ramble' by 08:30, fours hours walk and break for lunch. Under your system I would be kicking my heels for four and a half hours before we could set off then require lunch after only two hours. By the time we got home it would be almost bed time. :eek: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Why don't you eat lunch after 4 hours of walking?

I'm sick of being told that we can't do things that are broadly supported, because some special interest group/ minority doesn't like it.

Seriously, pandering to farmers or any other business/minority group when the majority want something to change, is the kind of nonsense that the UK seems good at these days.

Well out of a population of some 65 million people only 319 have signed a government website petition to make the change to permanent BST. That hardly sounds like a majority to me.

Why do you even want to change things, what would you be doing with the extra hour of evening daylight?

Blimey, early to rise and early to bed, I'm hardly likely to change now after sixty odd years. We are usually on the 'ramble' by 08:30, fours hours walk and break for lunch. Under your system I would be kicking my heels for four and a half hours before we could set off then require lunch after only two hours. By the time we got home it would be almost bed time. :eek: If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Nobody is forcing you to get up at a different point of the day. Nobody.

The only difference is that your clock would read 0930 instead of 0830.

Do you not understand this? Human time is an artificial construct. As you are retired you are not tied to workplace rules for clocking on and clocking off.

Why do I want the clocks to stay forwards? Because I am tied to workplace rules for clocking on and clocking off, and would like to have some daylight after I finish work.

Nobody is forcing you to get up at a different point of the day. Nobody.

The only difference is that your clock would read 0930 instead of 0830.

Do you not understand this? Human time is an artificial construct. As you are retired you are not tied to workplace rules for clocking on and clocking off.

Why do I want the clocks to stay forwards? Because I am tied to workplace rules for clocking on and clocking off, and would like to have some daylight after I finish work.

Ah members of the jury, there we have it. You want us to change to suit your requirements at the expense of others. Hmm! flawed logic if you ask me.

Ah members of the jury, there we have it. You want us to change to suit your requirements at the expense of others. Hmm! flawed logic if you ask me.
What you are failing to comprehend is that it doesn't matter what the clock reads when you wake up. You will still be waking up at the same fraction of the day. This is what really matters. You will wake and go to bed at the same time. Your routine will not be affected. Your daily activities will not be affected.

That is the luxury you have a retired person.

Literally the only difference to you is that the clock will be an hour advanced. But what does that matter? Do you have some kind of pride at "getting up early" according to the clockface? You'll still be getting up early in the same fraction of the day.

This is hard work.

People moaning about clocks changing because they can’t/won’t change their working hours....then expecting others to ‘just start later’ in the morning.

Sorry for not being unemployed, retired, or being self employed (e.g. a farmer?) whereby I could dictate my hours and get out of bed/plan my day to suit the available daylight.

Offtopic, but also think that Banks, Doctors surgeries and other such services should change their working hours to accomodate those who work 9-5 and would rather have appointments outside of those times.

I spent the first 20 years of my life hiking (in mainly the Lake District and various French mountain ranges). One of the best things was justifiably eating pork pies while walking.

Hiking and eating a pork pie whilst still a baby - wish I could have seen that. ;) I'm with you on the pies though. Lovely water crust pastry, nice pork filling, gorgeous if still warm, yummy.

Sorry for not being unemployed, retired, or being self employed (e.g. a farmer?) whereby I could dictate my hours and get out of bed/plan my day to suit the available daylight.

Offtopic, but also think that Banks, Doctors surgeries and other such services should change their working hours to accomodate those who work 9-5 and would rather have appointments outside of those times.

They already have - banks are now open 24/7 i.e. online banking and G.P. surgeries now offer late evening appointments and weekends. Even the Courts will now be open until 20:00.

The problem with that logic is the retired/farmer/whatever needs to sync with the rest of the world, who need picked up/dropped off from work/school etc etc. Or just want home to watch Neighbours or something!

I can understand when people have fixed hours being for or against whatever time. Be it GMT BST etc.

What I can't understand is the farmer argument.
Just because the clock says 6am doesn't mean you have to start your day then.
If they really love GMT winters is there any difference in changing your alarm time to Changing your clock time twice a year?

If I didnt have a job that dictated my hours I wouldnt care about the clocks. I'd start my day at 630am in winter and 730 in summer etc so I had light every 'evening'.

It almost feel like some people think you get mote hours of light or less by changing the clocks in a 24 hour period.

Last edited:
I can understand when people have fixed hours being for or against whatever time. Be it GMT BST etc.

What I can't understand is the farmer argument.
Just because the clock says 6am doesn't mean you have to start your day then.
If they really love GMT winters is there any difference in changing your alarm time to Changing your clock time twice a year?

If I didnt have a job that dictated my hours I wouldnt care about the clocks. I'd start my day at 630am in winter and 730 in summer etc so I had light every 'evening'.

NFU Scotland’s current position on Daylight Saving is that “insufficient justification has yet been given to make a change to the current arrangements.”
For our part, we would obviously be particularly interested in the consequences of any clock changes for agriculture and rural communities in Scotland where the impact of winter and summer on daylight hours is most extreme.”

It is important to bear in mind, he said, that regardless of what the actual time is on the clock, there are only a set number of daylight hours available to farmers and crofters in any one day.
The Scottish Government’s established position is there is no substantive economic or social case for any change to existing arrangements, or for different time-zones within the UK.

Back
Top Bottom