Woo-hoo, clocks go back this weekend

Soldato
It may well suit you but surely you have to think of those who work outside and the millions of people north of Birmingham whose mornings would turn into perpetual darkness.
what are you doing in the mornings that require light, out of interest? I figure it's just a play off between having to go to work in the dark and having daylight to actually DO something in when you get home in the evening. Personally i'd prefer that.

B@

Soldato
several months of glaring headlights when driving to and from work, booo
it used to get to me moving to short days but i just try and embrace it now
without this dark period it wouldn't be sooooo good moving to BST

Soldato
I honestly don't really mind either way. If we stuck with GMT forever, okay. If we stuck with BST forever, okay. If we kept daylight savings and still switched twice a year, okay.

It's one hour, and very little effort. To conclude for the record my opinion is: 'Meh'.

Soldato
Caporegime
Brilliant news!

I hate the clocks going back in the winter.

I think most people wou want GMT +1 all year
Some would like. GMT+2
And some crazies would like GMT +0

The farmer thing is worst argument. They can get up at whatever time it is they need to.
And if its later than everyone else's, less farmer traffic in rush hour.. Everyone is a winner.

Most workers at 9-5 ish and I'd think most. Would like lighter evenings given the choice.
Some people will have good reasons for. GMT +0,but it's a democracy.. Roll on GMT +1 (or. If we're l GMT +2)

Soldato
what are you doing in the mornings that require light, out of interest? I figure it's just a play off between having to go to work in the dark and having daylight to actually DO something in when you get home in the evening. Personally i'd prefer that.

B@
Rambling clubs - we make early starts, not when the day is over. Even though I'm retired I still rise around 05:30 am. However, this is not really about me, I'm thinking more of other people still in work i.e. construction workers, farmers etc. Armageus thinks it won't affect farmers any more - I can tell him I have a number of farmer friends and they insist it would affect them badly. I also wonder if Armageus knows where Scotland is? I mentioned north of Birmingham would see morning remain 'dark' for quite a number of hours.

Last I checked whilst Scotland is north of Birmingham there's a pretty sizeable chunk of land in between with millions of inhabitants. As said before we tried this experiment in the 1970s and it was quickly changed back as most folk hated it.

You may not have heard the news but we're leaving the E.U. and given the final decision is in the hands of national governments it's unlikely to be adopted anyway. The media will have a field day with this - e.g. EU telling the Brits what to do with their 'time'. Take back control now. :)

Don
I'm thinking more of other people still in work i.e. construction workers, farmers etc. Armageus thinks it won't affect farmers any more - I can tell him I have a number of farmer friends and they insist it would affect them badly. I also wonder if Armageus knows where Scotland is? I mentioned north of Birmingham would see morning remain 'dark' for quite a number of hours.

I didn't say it wouldn't affect farmers, but based on the numerous fields I have around my house - it seems that farmers have no problems operating Tractors, Harvesters, Pea Viners etc in the dark when required to (e.g. when harvests are ready) - the 8 million* lumen floodlights they have attached to everything seem to do a fine job of illuminating their work areas.

* may be a slight exaggeration :)

Soldato
I didn't say it wouldn't affect farmers, but based on the numerous fields I have around my house - it seems that farmers have no problems operating Tractors, Harvesters, Pea Viners etc in the dark when required to (e.g. when harvests are ready) - the 8 million* lumen floodlights they have attached to everything seem to do a fine job of illuminating their work areas.

* may be a slight exaggeration :)
Where you live is mainly arable not livestock. You can’t tell livestock to hang on a couple of hours until it gets light. Anyway, as said in previous post I doubt it will be adopted in the UK as it’s to politically sensitive with Brexit.

Caporegime
Where you live is mainly arable not livestock. You can’t tell livestock to hang on a couple of hours until it gets light. Anyway, as said in previous post I doubt it will be adopted in the UK as it’s to politically sensitive with Brexit.
But the cows have no concept of time... they fix what the do to the actual day/night cycle?

So whether it's "5am" when it gets light or "7am" makes no difference to them? They'll get up when it's light and bed down when it gets dark?

Must be being thick because I don't understand how livestock would care about human time.

Soldato
But the cows have no concept of time... they fix what the do to the actual day/night cycle?

So whether it's "5am" when it gets light or "7am" makes no difference to them? They'll get up when it's light and bed down when it gets dark?

Must be being thick because I don't understand how livestock would care about human time.

But the farmer has to bring the livestock in and that's not easy if it's pitch black. Try getting your lights out on the hill farms in Wales, North of England etc. What are you 'southerners' like hey?

Soldato
But the farmer has to bring the livestock in and that's not easy if it's pitch black. Try getting your lights out on the hill farms in Wales, North of England etc. What are you 'southerners' like hey?
Then the farmer just takes them out earlier by his time and brings them in earlier by his time in the winter. In the summer he just leaves them out a little later as we get more daylight hours then. Whats the issue?

Soldato
Rambling clubs - we make early starts, not when the day is over. Even though I'm retired I still rise around 05:30 am. However, this is not really about me, I'm thinking more of other people still in work i.e. construction workers, farmers etc. Armageus thinks it won't affect farmers any more - I can tell him I have a number of farmer friends and they insist it would affect them badly. I also wonder if Armageus knows where Scotland is? I mentioned north of Birmingham would see morning remain 'dark' for quite a number of hours.
well anything that negatively affects ramblers is fine by me ;) jokes. The hour you start makes no difference considering you're retired though, no? The actual time is something of an irrelevance. Just get up when it starts to get light.. makes no sense. Same as farmers really, livestock don't know what time it is, get them out when it's light and in when it's dark - I honestly don't see the issue. It just shifts your day along a bit in "time", but not in the solar cycle, so what difference does it make?

You may not have heard the news but we're leaving the E.U. and given the final decision is in the hands of national governments it's unlikely to be adopted anyway. The media will have a field day with this - e.g. EU telling the Brits what to do with their 'time'. Take back control now. :)
i have heard yeah, i'm in germany and i'm pretty sure they'll keep the summer time hour (being mostly further south than birmingham this isn't an issue) but the UK will keep on changing i'm sure.

B@

Caporegime
Farming pre-dates GMT. We managed before there was a centralised time (or even clocks!)

This seems to be a human failing of "We must do things at certain times according to the clock on the wall" rather than "We must do things according to what I can see out of my window".

Soldato
People moaning about clocks changing because they can’t/won’t change their working hours....then expecting others to ‘just start later’ in the morning.
Ya crazy ####s

Caporegime
People moaning about clocks changing because they can’t/won’t change their working hours....then expecting others to ‘just start later’ in the morning.
Ya crazy ####s
Erm, no, lol

No daylight in the evening. Spike in people seeing their GP when clocks change.

There's a lot of support across Europe it would seem for getting rid of this awful clock changing. If it were of no consequence such a move would struggle to attract support or even attention.

Naturally the best way for the UK would be to shift to GMT +1 permanently. Or GMT +2, just to spite the bleddy Scots :p

Soldato
Then the farmer just takes them out earlier by his time and brings them in earlier by his time in the winter. In the summer he just leaves them out a little later as we get more daylight hours then. Whats the issue?

Well I guess you will have to explain all this to farmers who by and large are very much against the change as witnessed on Countryfile. It's not likely to happen anyway.

Caporegime
Well I guess you will have to explain all this to farmers who by and large are very much against the change as witnessed on Countryfile. It's not likely to happen anyway.
Surely they understand that human time is an invented human concept? That the animal kingdom has no concept of human time at all.

I'm sick of being told that we can't do things that are broadly supported, because some special interest group/ minority doesn't like it.

People are just opposed to change half the time.

Also there's often a lot of exaggeration from businesses. "Minimum wage will destroy UK business up and down the country." And a myriad of other claims, that were proved utterly bogus when the thing in question was implemented.

Seriously, pandering to farmers or any other business/minority group when the majority want something to change, is the kind of nonsense that the UK seems good at these days. "Oh we'd better not upset the farmers/Scots/high-street gambling shops, BT, Amazon, etc, etc. Can't have the world thinking were some kind of progressive democracy."

Soldato
well anything that negatively affects ramblers is fine by me ;) jokes. The hour you start makes no difference considering you're retired though, no? The actual time is something of an irrelevance. Just get up when it starts to get light.. makes no sense. Same as farmers really, livestock don't know what time it is, get them out when it's light and in when it's dark - I honestly don't see the issue. It just shifts your day along a bit in "time", but not in the solar cycle, so what difference does it make?

i have heard yeah, i'm in germany and i'm pretty sure they'll keep the summer time hour (being mostly further south than birmingham this isn't an issue) but the UK will keep on changing i'm sure.

B@

Blimey, early to rise and early to bed, I'm hardly likely to change now after sixty odd years. We are usually on the 'ramble' by 08:30, fours hours walk and break for lunch. Under your system I would be kicking my heels for four and a half hours before we could set off then require lunch after only two hours. By the time we got home it would be almost bed time. :eek: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom