Woo-hoo, clocks go back this weekend

Soldato
Standard clocks thread... My standard response..

Keep it +2 all year round! Super light evenings for longer!

Who cares about lighter mornings. Most people just go to work.
I think most people would rather a. Lighter evening, especially if you like doing outside stuff
I agree

Seems like most of the people that are moaning about it is only because of there job :eek:
Just shows how some people let there job run there life..

Soldato
I agree

Seems like most of the people that are moaning about it is only because of there job :eek:

Yes because we have to get up in the dark and don't get home until it's dark. We don't all have the luxury of flexitime and work at home when you want time etc. We are given shifts and we must attend.

Caporegime
I agree

It boggles my mind. Stupid GMT. Means I can't now do any evening activities during the week until next year.

Soldato
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-clock-change-2018-daylight-savings-time
The EU is right – 2018 should be the last time the clocks go back
EU plans look likely to end daylight savings times in 2019. This means that Sunday's clock change could be the last and the science and economics of the proposed change make complete sense

I think that article just shows how utterly selfish some countries are and it usually stems from the capitals of those countries. Take China -

China, for example, geographically straddles five different time zones, but the People's Republic of China keeps only one time zone. That means the time of day is the same in Beijing, as it is the Western region of Xinjiang, 3,292km away. The time zone is optimised for the capital, where the sun rises around 7am – but won’t surface until close to midday in Xinjiang.

London wouldn't fair to badly from the change (again another capital) whereas anywhere north of Birmingham would experience much darker mornings and in Scotland it wouldn't come light until around 10:00 am. Very bad for those who work outside.

The system we have now which we have been using for decades works well. We tried this experiment once before in the seventies and quickly abandoned it due to public pressure.

Soldato
It boggles my mind. Stupid GMT. Means I can't now do any evening activities during the week until next year.
How so? For example instead of being dark at 15:45 it would be dark at 16:45 and pretty gloomy before then, so I fail to see what this extra 60 minutes would make to your activities.

Soldato
Have the forums gone back?

It's telling me posts made a few minutes ago were posted yesterday implying the forum time hasn't changed.

Caporegime
How so? For example instead of being dark at 15:45 it would be dark at 16:45 and pretty gloomy before then, so I fail to see what this extra 60 minutes would make to your activities.

Personally I'd rather GMT +2 in winter and GMT +1 in summer.
Which would make a lot of difference. But anything more is better

Soldato
It may well suit you but surely you have to think of those who work outside and the millions of people north of Birmingham whose mornings would turn into perpetual darkness.

Don

That would leave be the ideal imo

It may well suit you but surely you have to think of those who work outside and the millions of people north of Birmingham whose mornings would turn into perpetual darkness.

Pretty sure it doesn't really affect farmers anymore given the advent of super-bright floodlights they have fitted, and gps guided tractors. As for "the north", if Scotland become independent they can have whatever timezone they wish :)

Back
Top Bottom