Woo-hoo, the clocks go back to GMT this weekend!

No, DST makes absolutely no difference at all to the amount of daylight at any time of day - morning or evening. The amount of daylight is dictated solely by orbital mechanics.

If you want more free time in the evening, then you get up earlier and get what you have to do, done, sooner.

It does if your working day has set start and finish times. You get less light after work and if you work inside you potentially see zero sun light at all or very little.

NO its not 'most people' - most people want more daylight when they are awake.

As much as I'd like to argue with you - I have to yield to scientific fact that is, in reality - approx a 50/50 mix if you're a morning person or a night owl.

It's an evolved trait that developed when humans lived in more social groups as we evolved - it was advantageous for half the group to stay awake late, and half to wake up very early, thus the amount of time all would be asleep is only a couple of hours in the middle of the night - leaving someone awake to look out for danger.

Fact is, morning people (Who frankly need locking up due to their serious mental health issue in my opinion :cry: ) prefer GMT, and sensible people who prefer mornings to rest and stay awake later on prefer BST.

I am the latter, i.e. the correct way of timing us.

Jokes aside - studies have also found GMT leads to more depression, health issues & accidents due to the overly early time of sunset, so practically speaking society is better off on BST - The GMT'rs will just have to lump it

I totally get that some people don't like getting up early, and i'm certainly not a morning person per se, but it is just a fact of life that mornings are far easier to manage personal time like sports/gym than evenings. There are always work calls that go late.or a project that needs finishing, bad traffic on a commute, kids football/piano/therapy/swimming, parents evenings, cooking and dining and cleaning up, kids homework, kids bedtime and so on. The beauty of the morning is you just get up, do everything you want without stress and once you are going to work you have already had a great start ticking off the most import task of the day - personal time
Then whatever happens in the day, whatever meeting runs late or kid vomiting in school, you are already set for the day.

You just ho to bed earlier, which is easier when it gets dark earlier so going back to GMT is just a double win.

It might have been a bit different if it was light until 9pm say, and then going back to GMT made sunset 8pm. But the fact is the un will have set long before i could dream of going outside, conversely the change is really massive in the mornings. The headlamp will sit in the drawer for a month for most runs now. Which brings me to the next point, once we get closer to midwinter it is just too dark anyway

Last edited:
What? You call your lunch dinner? That’s way too northern for me. There are 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper. There is no such thing as tea unless it’s afternoon tea of sandwiches (I suggest cucumber and salad cream), cakes (Victoria sponge is mandatory) and a nice pot of tea
What about brunch?

Nipping down the shop need anything? *dons mining helmet and other such nonsense as I cant ****ing see!!!*

silhouettes-miners-helmet-with-lanterns-dark-cave-exploration-geological-work-coal-mining-warm-light.jpg

But you gain time before work

Yes but it is still dark when the vast majority of people go to work. Sunrise is 06:51 here and will get shorter until 21st December.

Anyone who works normal kind of times will not be able to do anything before work outside that requires light. At least with BST it gives you better sunlight in the evenings.

Accidents in cars go up because it is darker earlier as people are obviously more tired in the evenings.

Yes but it is still dark when the vast majority of people go to work. Sunrise is 06:51 here and will get shorter until 21st December.

Anyone who works normal kind of times will not be able to do anything before work outside that requires light. At least with BST it gives you better sunlight in the evenings.

Accidents in cars go up because it is darker earlier as people are obviously more tired in the evenings.
Anyone who works normal kind of times wouldn't be able to do anything outside after work anyway. It's not like bst would mean it's light at 7/8pm in winter.

Back
Top Bottom