World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
OP
It's a 12" prototype as proof of concept, the 32" demo they put together is hidden behind that black cover.

Self emissive QD with no burn in or degrade = End game.

No degrade? Quantum dots degrade

I can see it's a prototype, I just wanna know why it's not yet a big flat sellable TV so I can guess how long until we can buy them

BOE had a version of this years ago as well, still not a TV I can buy and I just want to know why. BOE had a 17 inch QDEL prototype in 2017 and a 55 inch Prototype in 2020, so it's been at least 7 years since these screens have been around. And the BOE panels from 2017 had the same issue as that digital trend video showing Sharp's 2024 QDEL panels, that being washed out looking colors and a dim image

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So it's no degrade because digital trends says so?

If you google it, you can find published scientific journals testing what happens when you apply current to quantum dots and they show the luminance output decreasing over time

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I suggest you read the HDTVtest article on it, Sharp's version is not the same as QDEL from some years ago.

"That said, everything I said here is all speculation"

Ok then

I think you may have found a Woozle

But hey look I don't want to totally wave it off, I think it's cool tech anyway and I don't disagree that QDEL may have more longevity than any other quantum dot screen already on the market, because everyone, including Sharp, who has shown off this panel tech has made the claim that it uses less power than OLED or qled and we all by now know that if you apply less current or voltage then those quantum dots and OLED pixels will degrade slower, but that doesn't mean that degradation rate is zero, it's still degrading, it's just degrading slower when you apply less current or voltage

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bring on the dead pixels! :D

I got one already, stuck showing red, and I will absolutely be doing an RMA before the 3 years are up regardless of burn in or no burn in, so I can get a new replacement and at that stage, when the replacement arrives I won't even open the box, I will sell it and buy a newer monitor for myself - hopefully at that stage there are 5120x2160 34 inch OLEDs for sale

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
TFT central has done a great right up on why QD OLED monitors are still brighter than the latest woled even though LG says their woled is 30% brighter than QDOLED

It's a long but brilliant discussion and in the end came to the conclusion that even 1st Gen QD OLED monitors are still up to 40% brighter than the latest woleds

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is the state of burn-in on my AW now:

KLe9sMd.jpeg

Same usage as normal, 2 browser windows in split view, left window is the most active whilst right window plays youtube etc

Can't wait for burn-proof OLED :o

As good as this is for everything else, knowing that the burn-in will only amplify as time goes on and the warranty expiry time reels round, not ideal lol.

My warranty expires March 2025, so I guess I could chance a sale of this on marketplace and buy a current gen IPS-Black panel and use it until those burn-proof OLEDs come out, wouldn't cost me much extra in additional funding either and could potentially, need to look at what's out there currently as haven't looked at IPS since going QD-OLED.

For ref I use the QD for WFH and once work is done, then use it for my professional work as well as entertainment. at least 5 days a week.

Edit* Maybe this:

That's not even noticeable

Soldato
OP
IPS does not burn in

Does this though

Also, I've got an IPS TV with what looks very similar to permanent burn in, I can take a photo and show you. I've also got a VA TV which doesn't have burn in, but one of the centre backlights is fuxored and on bright images the centre of the screens looks dimmer than the rest

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom