World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
Had that panel refresh option pop up that runs for 1 hour, have just cancelled it for now as the monitor hasn't been "used" for anywhere near that time to qualify for it yet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Had that panel refresh option pop up that runs for 1 hour, have just cancelled it for now as the monitor hasn't been "used" for anywhere near that time to qualify for it yet.
Be prepared it will ask you every time you turn it on going forward. Sometimes I fancy running just so it can **** off. Lol.

Soldato
That's really bright. But I understand everyone has their own light setup. My room is kept relatively dim anyway and my current 1440p screen has a max brightness of 300nits, and on day to day basis I have brightness set to 40, I've had it that way for ages and I still find at night pure white screen too bright, 40 for is 120nits
Ever since I switched to a 1000nits capable monitor I find myself gaming during the day more. There is something special about having a super vibrant image in front of you with curtains open and the sun coming in instead of gaming like a night-crawler during the night.

My eyes thank me for not gaming in the dark anymore and I also sleep better since I now prefer to read a book before I sleep instead of gaming. It's something I never considered but now I could never go back.

It's extremely freeing to have a monitor that can go really bright and no amount of OLED perfect blacks could convince me otherwise. Plus VA blacks are no slouch either.

Man of Honour
Digital cameras will pick up flickering that the human eye cannot see in most cases. Only at 175Hz do my eyes notice it in some movies or games. At 144 it is not noticed but can be picked up by a camera.

I prefer 10-bit anyway so 144Hz is fine.

What I do find annoying is the plastic creaking when you touch the monitor around the frame lol. Not what I expect for a £1000 monitor even if it cost me under £700.

Volume might need to be up as phone mic is neutral.

Soldato
OP
Looks like QD-OLED will be around until at least 2026. It sounds like Samsung still prefers to dump QD-OLED and all OLEDs in general in favour of QNED or MicroLED whichever comes first, but MicroLED ETA for mass production is 2028/2029, and QNED was supposed to arrive 2024/2025 but now it's delayed to at least 2026

Tough times ahead for Samsung, sold their LCD production because they couldn't compete with Chinese manufacturers with slimming margins, they'd really prefer to have some new replacement technology to make TVs with, instead they get stuck with QD-OLED and Samsung really hates OLED

Last edited:
Associate
Mine was delivered today, all set up next to my AW3418DW (both VESA mounted). I did have the marks from the bubble wrap on the top of the screen but this wiped straight off with a screen wipe. Also no dead pixels so lucked out it seems.

Really pleased with the image quality and it is a definite step up from the 3418 IPS version. I have a couple of LG OLED TVs and it is great to have the same quality on a PC screen. Text quality is perfectly good enough for desktop use and not as bad as I feared. However, it is slightly less sharp than the IPS panel. I'd say the construction feels cheaper too. Overall, definitely worth the wait.

Associate
Mine was delivered today, all set up next to my AW3418DW (both VESA mounted).
Mine was delivered today, all set up next to my AW3418DW (both VESA mounted). I did have the marks from the bubble wrap on the top of the screen but this wiped straight off with a screen wipe. Also no dead pixels so lucked out it seems.

Really pleased with the image quality and it is a definite step up from the 3418 IPS version. I have a couple of LG OLED TVs and it is great to have the same quality on a PC screen. Text quality is perfectly good enough for desktop use and not as bad as I feared. However, it is slightly less sharp than the IPS panel. I'd say the construction feels cheaper too. Overall, definitely worth the wait.

Mine arrived today as well, still playing around with it. So far it's really good image quality. I don't get any flickering on dark image (near blacks), even using the test supposed to cause that. I can't hear the fan at all in quiet room either. Reaction times, colours, HDR - everything's perfect! And from about 1m distance I don't see any real difference between sharpness on this and my previous LG 34GN850 - only when I put my face right up against the screen. Comparing to the Samsung G9 (not Neo!) this is WAY better! Reflections during day time aren't great, though (but not visible in games and movies) and in HDR1000 dimming when screen gets brighter is noticable but only whilst working on the desktop. All in all, good purchase, worth the wait! Also, it seems to have been a bit improved comparing to what I read about initial batch.

Man of Honour
Heads up the new Alienware software core optinal driver on Windows Update will install the additional Alienware core software and stuff which appears to be a waste of time and space. Just ignore that optional update. I have uninstalled it.

Back
Top Bottom