World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Nope I have no Alienware software installed either so not sure what this is. Installed now and doesn't show up anywhere else other than an entry for Alienware Command Centre thing but that refers to display features like sleep states supported etc so is likely important and the versions don't match anywhere close so isn't that either!

Soldato
I have nothing in Add/Remove Programs either related to Dell or Alienware :p

I noticed this when I was reviewing the monitor. Didn't have any Dell or Alienware applications installed, but there was an update available on Windows update. I haven't seen this for any monitor before, as far as I can remember.

Associate
OK, getting excited now. I've got a 'Shipping' date of 28 July 2022 and it's the 26th tomorrow. Still not showing as 'In Production' yet....I'll let y'all know if it gets updated.

I'm sure this question has been asked many, may times already...but...how likley is it that my order will be delayed?

If my monitor is not yet 'In Production' and is yet to be manufactured, I don't think they will get the monitor to me by Friday as per the order page on the Dell website. IIRC this is a Samsung panel, and Samsung moved their display manufacturing operations to Uttar Pradesh last year....unless they're flying my monitor to me they're really going to struggle if it's not built already.

Associate
OK, getting excited now. I've got a 'Shipping' date of 28 July 2022 and it's the 26th tomorrow. Still not showing as 'In Production' yet....I'll let y'all know if it gets updated.

I'm sure this question has been asked many, may times already...but...how likley is it that my order will be delayed?

If my monitor is not yet 'In Production' and is yet to be manufactured, I don't think they will get the monitor to me by Friday as per the order page on the Dell website. IIRC this is a Samsung panel, and Samsung moved their display manufacturing operations to Uttar Pradesh last year....unless they're flying my monitor to me they're really going to struggle if it's not built already.
My estimated dispatch is 27th with delivery 28th.
For the UK, Reading other experiences, it seems it can go into production and then dispatched within 24hrs.

Associate
I don’t understand the hdr400 preference for gaming and content consumption.

What you’re doing is compressing the dynamic range and lifting the scene apl to make it looks brighter but the range itself is missing, which is the whole point of HDR.

Unfortunately, PC publications and typical monitor review outlets don’t have enough HDR experience to understand and articulate this to the audience.

It’s your monitor and do what you want but hdr400 is absolutely further away from creator intent than hdr1000.

As shown here by @Baddass in his excellent review, you're just range compressing and not gaming anything by being in HDR400 mode:

HDR 400:
unknown.png

HDR 1000:
unknown.png

Hopefully as PC focused publications get more experience with HDR and understand it better, they can bring the audience along with them. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone, just stating that there's a gap in understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

What you’re doing is compressing the dynamic range and lifting the scene apl to make it looks brighter but the range itself is missing, which is the whole point of HDR.

Unfortunately, PC publications and typical monitor review outlets don’t have enough HDR experience to understand and articulate this to the audience.

It’s your monitor and do what you want but hdr400 is absolutely further away from creator intent than hdr1000.

As shown here by @Baddass in his excellent review, you're just range compressing and not gaming anything by being in HDR400 mode:

HDR 400:
unknown.png

HDR 1000:
unknown.png

Hopefully as PC focused publications get more experience with HDR and understand it better, they can bring the audience along with them. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone, just stating that there's a gap in understanding.

Yeah. I set mine to HDR 1000 when I got it and left it on there ever since :)

Associate

HDR 400:
unknown.png

HDR 1000:
unknown.png

Hey, is it the case that both modes are inaccurate?
I may be way off here:
Hdr1000 will be in inaccurate as the difference between scenes ie a torch in a dark scene vs sky in a bright scene when both mapped to 1000 nits will be big as the sky will be lower nits than the torch which isn't as intended.
Hdr400 inacurrate as not able to reach the 1000 nit map, however the difference between the dark and bright scenes will be closer to the intended.

I'm thinking it can only be accurate if the peak luminance is the same at all window sizes, and then the quality and impact is dictated by what that peak luminance is.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Does the monitor auto switch between sdr and hdr based on if windows is in hdr or sdr?

Why? Are you finally seeing the light and interested in buying one? :p

To answer you question, no. You can get your media player to do so. But for games and browser (for YouTube for example) you can use a quick shortcut on keyboard.

Caporegime
Why? Are you finally seeing the light and interested in buying one? :p

To answer you question, no. You can get your media player to do so. But for games and browser (for YouTube for example) you can use a quick shortcut on keyboard.

:cry:

There are some games that will auto switch HDR on but very rare sadly :(

Also, there is a tool that can automatically do it for you too but I don't use it as don't want another program running in the background.

Back
Top Bottom