World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
MRK / Princey / TNA

Have you noticed on the bezels on the left and right and on the screen, if you put your finger there, it leaves a permanent fingerprint. I can't scrub it off...

I'm honestly thinking there is a protective film that needs to be removed on the monitor. All oleds usually come with one.

Soldato
MRK / Princey / TNA

Have you noticed on the bezels on the left and right and on the screen, if you put your finger there, it leaves a permanent fingerprint. I can't scrub it off...

I'm honestly thinking there is a protective film that needs to be removed on the monitor. All oleds usually come with one.

A little bit of ISO will help clear oils from hands. just don't drown your cloth in it and don't spray it directly onto the screen.

I don't think it's a protective film, it just seems that some of the backing from the bubble wrap gets stuck to the screen. The majority of it came away for me when using a micro fibre cloth and a little elbow grease.

Associate
ordered mine on the 27th via PayPal 3 month agreement.

Status changed to confirmed/processing on same date but first pending payment has been dropped from my account. No cancellation notice etc via site or email. Is this normal?

Associate
A little bit of ISO will help clear oils from hands. just don't drown your cloth in it and don't spray it directly onto the screen.

I don't think it's a protective film, it just seems that some of the backing from the bubble wrap gets stuck to the screen. The majority of it came away for me when using a micro fibre cloth and a little elbow grease.

Please listen to this guy and stop retuning your panels from packaging residue.

My 77C1 had the same with the same “fix”

Soldato
LOL!!! Just had a massive panic that my screen was dead. It had run the pixel refresh and then it turns itself off afterward. I was trying to turn it on with the nipple and didn't realise there was a seperate power button on the right hand side! Idiot.

Soldato
In my defence, the angle that I sit at I cant see it :)

:D

Something else that i just noticed is that this is the only monitor in existence that supports a VRR (G-SYNC ultimate rated) range of 1 - 175Hz.

EDIT - Ignore this, i just noticed that the page was not showing all of the monitors properly. This is probably down to the G-sync module frame double or tripling. But on an OLED it should be able to just run at anything from 1 - 175Hz without problems or the need to frame double or triple.

Which overall is pretty awesome and makes sense as to why it synced down to 24Hz when i was watching netflix.

Last edited:
Soldato
One of my pet hates is fingerprints on screens :p
If there are other people using PC you should add "Don't use fingers to read the monitor" sticker hanging from bottom edge of the monitor.
Not sure if it was some school or where I saw such sticker once...

Soldato
If there are other people using PC you should add "Don't use fingers to read the monitor" sticker hanging from bottom edge of the monitor.

You know that scene in LOTR where Bilbo goes from nice friendly old man to evil incarnate in a flash when he sees Frodo with the ring? Yeah, thats me when someone tries to touch my monitor :cry:

V F

V F

Soldato

I remember once seeing in CAD class... "Keep your bloody mits off the screen." :cry:

Associate
Thanks for the tip regarding Iso.

Managed to get the fingerprints out and i think the impression marks as well.

Used 70% iso alcohol with a soft cloth, mixed about 1/3 iso 2/3 water. Then round circles with the damp cloth and then a dry one after.

Soldato
I remember once seeing in CAD class... "Keep your bloody mits off the screen." :cry:
I wonder if anyone has ever tried "This isn't braille display" sticker...

Though suspect rigging something with electric cattle fence energiser would be the best deterrent.

Soldato
OP

Thanks Vincent

so here is the list of things the monitor should not be used for

1) Office, productivity or creative work. This is due to:

* color fringing issue already discussed here
* slightly blurry text
* Performance not where it needs to be for creative use, particularly in gamma

2) Console gaming (no HDMI2.1 and consoles don't support non 16:9 aspect ratios)

3) Watching movies (movies are 16:9)

4) And lastly, do not use if you don't have a dark room as any light reflecting off the screen destroys the vibrancy and volume of colors and also the contrast ratio.

just touching on #4 again. I don't think this should be a deal breaker for people, you may still enjoy using this monitor during the day with your curtains open or at night with your ceiling lights turned on - but Vincent is just highlighting that both the color production and color contrast are both significantly negatively effected when you have any light on the screen, whether it be light from outside or light from a bulb it makes no difference.

Vincent believes the poor handling of bright room performance is due to the panel and not the coating, to resolve this issue would require a polarizer in the panel but a polarizer can't be used when you have this type of pixel layout. This means QD OLED TVs will have the same issue - poor performance during daytime or when you have your ceiling lights on

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Regarding movies like he mentions, a complete non issue really:

Regarding office/productivity and creative work, well that's 90% of what I do on my workstation, and have nothing but positive feedback on doing exactly those things lol.

Regarding console gaming... I'm a PC Gamer!

Regarding destroying vibrancy etc if there's a light in the room, well that's a total non issue as well (see my last video).

Vincent is great, but his lab environment isn't an indicator of a normal everyday workstation environment, and his views are based off that controlled lab environment it seems to me.

These days you really have to get a grand overview after reading and watching views from multiple sources, not just one or the most popular. There isn't a catchall for tech reviews any more like there once used to be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom