World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
I'm using creator with the settings @mrk posted.

Who summoned me :eek:

From what I know console mode in HDR enables you to use the source tone mapping option in the OSD so it uses whatever the game devs code in.

Most people use creator srgb gamma 2.2 because it's the most accurate. But "better" is subjective so you do you and use whichever you prefer to your tastes

I am also using creator srgb. But I can also enable console mode that improve colour quality further for me.

I will check on @mrk settings.

Do you mind pointing me in the right post direction?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
It's a 12" prototype as proof of concept, the 32" demo they put together is hidden behind that black cover.

Self emissive QD with no burn in or degrade = End game.

No degrade? Quantum dots degrade

I can see it's a prototype, I just wanna know why it's not yet a big flat sellable TV so I can guess how long until we can buy them

BOE had a version of this years ago as well, still not a TV I can buy and I just want to know why. BOE had a 17 inch QDEL prototype in 2017 and a 55 inch Prototype in 2020, so it's been at least 7 years since these screens have been around. And the BOE panels from 2017 had the same issue as that digital trend video showing Sharp's 2024 QDEL panels, that being washed out looking colors and a dim image

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What you have posted is for current display tech, QDEL supposedly doesn't have this issue based on the very nature of what it is. QLED though has a backlight panel, the backlight gets dimmer over time. QDEL is self emissive, isn't organic so doesn't age like OLED pixels do.

QDEL stands for Quantum Dot Electroluminescent. For several years, it has represented a holy grail of sorts for the TV world, because a QDEL TV theoretically possesses all of the benefits of OLED TV (like gorgeous color, perfect black levels, incredible contrast, and lightning-fast response times) and none of its weaknesses (lower brightness, pixel material that ages over time, and the risk of burn-in). In short, a QDEL TV could be a perfect TV.
So yes, no degrade.

I can see it's a prototype, I just wanna know why it's not yet a big flat sellable TV so I can guess how long until we can buy them
Kind of answers itself, it's still research in progress and Sharp likely will have something at SID. It's a prototype and cutting edge, why would it be a big flat TV on sale right now when it's literally still technology being developed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So it's no degrade because digital trends says so?

If you google it, you can find published scientific journals testing what happens when you apply current to quantum dots and they show the luminance output decreasing over time

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I suggest you read the HDTVtest article on it, Sharp's version is not the same as QDEL from some years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I suggest you read the HDTVtest article on it, Sharp's version is not the same as QDEL from some years ago.

"That said, everything I said here is all speculation"

Ok then

I think you may have found a Woozle

But hey look I don't want to totally wave it off, I think it's cool tech anyway and I don't disagree that QDEL may have more longevity than any other quantum dot screen already on the market, because everyone, including Sharp, who has shown off this panel tech has made the claim that it uses less power than OLED or qled and we all by now know that if you apply less current or voltage then those quantum dots and OLED pixels will degrade slower, but that doesn't mean that degradation rate is zero, it's still degrading, it's just degrading slower when you apply less current or voltage

Last edited:
Soldato
Not Sure If Serious

It's weird. My initial thoughts were wtf this monitor is dark & what's going on with the colours.

The truth of it is. I was so used to the unnatural colour of my old panel including its washed out brightness my eyes and brain had to be literally rewired because of the insanely accurate colours and correct brightness levels that I had never experienced on a computer monitor

2nd day in and I'm absoloutely on the boat of OLED is a game changer for monitor tech vs the old stuff.

It's insane how immersive the monitor makes games feel and that you feel you could literally reach in and touch stuff on screen

Last edited:
Soldato
The point I was actually trying to make was you can't see a better monitor on your monitor. Even if this was shot in HDR and mastered for HDR in YouTube and you watched it an OLED, because this is supposed to be even better still, the only way you'd appreciate it would be with your own eyes

Soldato
It's weird. My initial thoughts were wtf this monitor is dark & what's going on with the colours.

The truth of it is. I was so used to the unnatural colour of my old panel including its washed out brightness my eyes and brain had to be literally rewired because of the insanely accurate colours and correct brightness levels that I had never experienced on a computer monitor

2nd day in and I'm absoloutely on the boat of OLED is a game changer for monitor tech vs the old stuff.

It's insane how immersive the monitor makes games feel and that you feel you could literally reach in and touch stuff on screen

Did you get the 7% top cash back on yours Tom?

Back
Top Bottom