Worst hotel you've ever stayed in?

Soldato
Thats all I go to town for too. Can't stand the city centre, full of scum. Makes me nervous walking up St Peter street. I think I did take my 7 year lad old last year to town for some reason, but I felt sorry for him as he won't grow up experiencing going to town on a Saturday to buy a CD or DVD, hanging with mates, having a Mac Ds. It's nothing like what it used to be.

Hahaha yeah, I hear that. I was surprised at that building on the old Debenhams its huuuuge. They have even started to knock down my old haunt The Pink Coconut :( Sign of the times i guess. I have not been into town drinking since early 2000s.

Yeah they used to be some good places to go back in the day, Oasis records, Forbidden Planet, Gamestation, Shipleys Arcade... Or Bank Holidays session down Saddlergate.

Soldato
Ah right.. You are correct. That said i only went into town for the first time in about 15 years on Monday to sort something out at the bank.
Thats all I go to town for too. Can't stand the city centre, full of scum. Makes me nervous walking up St Peter street. I think I did take my 7 year lad old last year to town for some reason, but I felt sorry for him as he won't grow up experiencing going to town on a Saturday to buy a CD or DVD, hanging with mates, having a Mac Ds. It's nothing like what it used to be.
I've lived near Derby for 3 years now (Melbourne), and still haven't been into the town centre. Been to the Intu/Derbion a couple of times but never ventured outside :p

If I go 'to town', it'll be Nottingham when I need to pick up some records from Rough Trade.

Soldato
I've lived near Derby for 3 years now (Melbourne), and still haven't been into the town centre. Been to the Intu/Derbion a couple of times but never ventured outside :p

If I go 'to town', it'll be Nottingham when I need to pick up some records from Rough Trade.

I used to know Melbourne very well indeed.. I live in Sinfin so its not far from me down the back roads.

Soldato
The one in the town entre opposite Tescos?

Stayed their in June for one night as it was the nearest sensibly priced hotel to my Mum’s.

Rocked up at 10:30 PM at the night receptionist couldn’t have been more helpful. It was all looking a little battered, but the room was spotlessly clean and odour free. The breakfast bar was equally spotless and the lady running the show dished up a full English far beyond my expectations and the equal of the Standstead Radisson Blu which was double the price.
I believe so, if you could that a town centre, more of square of grey soot you got to after walking across the over-pass bridge thing from station, through the "culture centre". This was perhaps 10 years ago.

Previously I had been at the "old" town part of Stevenage. Seemed nicer with various pubs and bars. BUT never again.

Soldato
Many years ago went on a lads long weekend drinking trip Up North. Someone else booked all the accommodation and clearly did so based on finding the cheapest possible as it was all grim. One place (think it was in Manchester) dumped a bunch of us in one large room full of camp beds - was like being in the scouts! At another breakfast was cooked and served by a fat bloke wearing a string vest and with a fag hanging out the corner of his mouth. Delightful.

Soldato
I believe so, if you could that a town centre, more of square of grey soot you got to after walking across the over-pass bridge thing from station, through the "culture centre". This was perhaps 10 years ago.

Previously I had been at the "old" town part of Stevenage. Seemed nicer with various pubs and bars. BUT never again.
That’s the one.

The Old Town is still much nicer, but like all of the New Towns and Garden Cities, best avoided.

Man of Honour
A hotel in Muar (a small town in the middle of nowhere in Malaysia), where the bedroom consisted of 1 bed , with very dodgy linen, and 1 beside table. Nothing else. No other furniture, no tv, a toilet but no shower/bath, windows that you couldnt open. No food in the hotel and nobody on the staff who spoke English (acceptable as its a different country but just adding in onto the list of why it was the worst hotel stay in my life).

Soldato
Weird one............

Booked a house in deep Wales, 2 x inlaws, wife and i and 2 small children. Advertised as having loads of bedrooms, games room, pics looked good and and was a decent price.

Arrive late on and the front of the property and the living area looked great, but as we started to explore we found a very large kitchen with industrial cookers, fridges etc. As we moved further on, we found loads of bedrooms.........with lights above the doors. We were in, what was once an old folks home by the looks of it.

Throughout the week, the room buzzers were going off and red lights flashing - kids (and me!) were scared ********! Buuuuuut, i swear to God this is true, late one night there was a knock at the door - we were located in the middle of nowhere. I opened the door and there was a couple and it looked they had stepped out of the 1920's. They said they used to visit/live here many years ago and could they come in and look around - no, no you can't. Closed the door and never saw them again.

Associate
Briar Court Hotel in Huddersfield.

Stupidly thin walls, on one side someone watching boxing on tv really loud, on the other a drunk couple arguing, then having loud intimate action, then back to arguing till gone 3 in the morning.

Man of Honour
I missed a connecting flight in Lagos to take me to Port Harcourt and got to wait until a flight in the morning.
Security told me I couldn't stay in the airport and I was put in a taxi and taken to a 'hotel'.
It was basically a shack with a mattress on the floor and I stayed awake all night waiting to be attacked.
I was only 17 at the time and when I saw my Mummy & Daddy I cried my eyes out.

Man of Honour
Weird one............

Booked a house in deep Wales, 2 x inlaws, wife and i and 2 small children. Advertised as having loads of bedrooms, games room, pics looked good and and was a decent price.

Arrive late on and the front of the property and the living area looked great, but as we started to explore we found a very large kitchen with industrial cookers, fridges etc. As we moved further on, we found loads of bedrooms.........with lights above the doors. We were in, what was once an old folks home by the looks of it.

Throughout the week, the room buzzers were going off and red lights flashing - kids (and me!) were scared ********! Buuuuuut, i swear to God this is true, late one night there was a knock at the door - we were located in the middle of nowhere. I opened the door and there was a couple and it looked they had stepped out of the 1920's. They said they used to visit/live here many years ago and could they come in and look around - no, no you can't. Closed the door and never saw them again.

Reminds me of a place one of my cousins bought - late 1800s build I believe formerly an old folks home and at some point used as a guest house but with all the old trappings. When redecorating they found the original building was all ornate arches and detailed architraving, etc. which had been boxed over.

Soldato
Earlier this summer, my parents and I booked an apartment in Nottinghamshire and said 'well equipped kitchen'. 'Well equipped' means 1 wine glass, one saucepan and nothing suitable to cook in the microwave or in the oven.

I went into the town and in Wilkos and bought wine glasses, pyrex and a baking tray. We took them home.

Plus nowhere to dry bath towels.

The place we rented in Gloucester this week, was properly equipped with tons of cooking ware, crockery, various mugs, glasses and towel rails.

Soldato
Some terrible OYO hotel in Blackpool. There were no staff in the hotel other than a cleaner who didn't speak English, you had to input a code on the door to let yourself in, and then a code on your own door which had a key for your room in it. The bed was the only ok part - the wallpaper was coming off the walls, the wardrobe was coming off its hinges and the fire alarm went off at 2 in the morning. This was when there was the boom in UK holidays after lockdown and you couldn't go abroad, so everywhere was £120 at least a night and this place was £65. I guess there was a reason why it was so cheap!

At least it was clean....

Now, since everything's back to normal, the usual Britannia hotels are £35 a night anyway and even they are much better than this.

Soldato
Haha opposite experience here. I did Hilton Columbo(sp?), 28 Acres and then a Cabana
Our last night was in Colombo and the hotel was awesome (as was the Nuwara Eliya hotel/stately home!). We went over to the Maldives straight after and wow that was a contrast!

It was the second hotel we stayed in Kandy that was horrendous. The first one we had stayed at there was average. We also arrived in Ella to find our hotel had been shutdown for renovation and they had not told anyone. A mad rush to find another hotel in the area which we did. That one was average but had a great view down the valley.

Last edited:
Soldato
Earlier this summer, my parents and I booked an apartment in Nottinghamshire and said 'well equipped kitchen'. 'Well equipped' means 1 wine glass, one saucepan and nothing suitable to cook in the microwave or in the oven.

I went into the town and in Wilkos and bought wine glasses, pyrex and a baking tray. We took them home.

Plus nowhere to dry bath towels.

The place we rented in Gloucester this week, was properly equipped with tons of cooking ware, crockery, various mugs, glasses and towel rails.
How did you survive? That sounds positively ghastly

Back
Top Bottom