Worth buying an AW3423DWF or waiting for new monitors?

I just press Win+ALT+B before I launch a game I want to play in HDR, No Dell display manager needed.

For the best HDR experience from everything I've read, Windows 11 is the more optimal OS.

Yep! Having HDR in Windows 11 always turned on seems to look ok as well. Although some prefer doing it via the above method :D

Last edited:
Anyone else holding off until Black friday just incase there's a better deal?

Also, I wonder if the quidco 14.3% Alienware cashback will apply to this?

Last edited:
I took delivery of one of these today. Never owned a fancy monitor and decided to take advantage of a good sales price. Wow I'm thoroughly impresssed. Despite being Alienware, the design is sleek and subtle and the image quality of the oled panel is outstanding for someone like me who's never really used anything fancier than IPS 1080p

I'm a little bit worried about the fact burn-in is a potential over time. What precautions should a first time oled owner take? I've already set the wallpaper to a pure black image, hidden the taskbar and set a short sleep timer. I will only be gaming (its on my simracing rig) with it though, no web browsing or work etc so I shouldn't worry too much.

Also I can't for the life of me get the beauty panel to attach at the back :confused::cry:

Last edited:
I vowed when I bought this model, I would use it as normal but take a couple of light precautions.

Run the pixel refresh every 4 hours (e.g. when prompted).
Hide taskbar.
Browser full screen so you remove the menu/search bar at the top. I have YouTube/Spotify on a separate screen.
I use light and dark themes depending on mood.
Wallpaper is the usual random image from my picture's library.
Brightness and contrast both 75%
Use Windows Ribbons screensaver which kicks in every 2 mins of inactive use.
Installed a little freeware app (Start Saver) that means I can assign a hot corner to start my screensaver anytime (ala Apple).

I absolutely love this screen, it takes me back to CRT, true blacks and rejuvenated my interest in gaming. I've owned mine for a couple of months now and the best purchase.

I picked mine up from Dell so its covered by 3 years burn in protection, and to be honest, I hope I don't need to use it but it's reassuring to know it's there.

Last edited:
Yeah got mine direct from dell for a good price, offer is still up by the way, and three years warranty is pretty decent.

Silly question but if I switch the screen off via the small power button, it is not in standby mode so will not perform it's maintenance tasks right?

Have to admit I ddint really buy this for its HDR capabilities because I know very little about it and as far as I know, none of my sim games support HDR. I will look into it though, wouldn't want to miss out but everything I've run on it so far looks amazing anyway!

Last edited:
Yeah got mine direct from dell for a good price, offer is still up by the way, and three years warranty is pretty decent.

Silly question but if I switch the screen off via the small power button, it is not in standby mode so will not perform it's maintenance tasks right?

Have to admit I ddint really buy this for its HDR capabilities because I know very little about it and as far as I know, none of my sim games support HDR. I will look into it though, wouldn't want to miss out but everything I've run on it so far looks amazing anyway!

I have not seen it run its maintenance when switched off. It always asks within minutes of me switching on, so I assume it didn't do anything when it was off.

HDR is superb on these monitors, but it needs the right game. Something with bright neon colours like Borderlands is just amazing.

I took delivery of one of these today. Never owned a fancy monitor and decided to take advantage of a good sales price. Wow I'm thoroughly impresssed. Despite being Alienware, the design is sleek and subtle and the image quality of the oled panel is outstanding for someone like me who's never really used anything fancier than IPS 1080p

I'm a little bit worried about the fact burn-in is a potential over time. What precautions should a first time oled owner take? I've already set the wallpaper to a pure black image, hidden the taskbar and set a short sleep timer. I will only be gaming (its on my simracing rig) with it though, no web browsing or work etc so I shouldn't worry too much.

Also I can't for the life of me get the beauty panel to attach at the back :confused::cry:

Just take sensible precautions....like you already have.

I have a set of nature wallpapers that cycle every 10 mins and don't include any images of the sun!!

Oh those little panels. Yes. They are fiddly. They slide upwards, but you have to get them exactly right. The cables need to be super neat.

If you ever get in to HDR then you need something called Auto Actions, for games that don't automatically switch you to HDR mode (you don't want to run Windows in HDR mode all the time, only when you play an HDR game).

Is there an option in the OSD to see the uptime of the screen? My screen has the latest M3B104 firmware and I cant find it anywhere. I haven't been prompted to run the pixel refresh either though I did decide to run it manually.

Alienware bloatware (command centre) was installed on my system after connecting the monitor for the first time. It didn't seem to offer anything I couldn't do via the OSD and it even reset my pc's power plan to balanced so I've uninstalled it.

Last edited:
Is there an option in the OSD to see the uptime of the screen? My screen has the latest M3B104 firmware and I cant find it anywhere. I haven't been prompted to run the pixel refresh either though I did decide to run it manually.

Alienware bloatware (command centre) was installed on my system after connecting the monitor for the first time. It didn't seem to offer anything I couldn't do via the OSD and it even reset my pc's power plan to balanced so I've uninstalled it.

It should ask you every four hours of use. If you say "no" at any time, then it should ask again within minutes of the monitor powering up. The moment you select "yes" then the screen goes black and the power led flashes for about eight minutes and it finally switches itself off.

Yes, the Alienware Command Centre is either useful to you, or you can just uninstall it.

Yes, What you want to do is turn the monitor off, Click the navigation stick in and hold it in, While it's pressed in push the power button, With the navigation stick still pushed in, Once the power light comes on press the power button again and then release the navigation stick.

Once the monitor comes on you'll see a large OSD on the left that tells you everything from total up time, G-Sync die temp, Fan speed etc.... don't mess with any of the test options though as some will mess up the maintenance every 4 hours, Just go down to "Exit" once you're finished.

Last edited:
The button combo above doesn't seem to work for me.

While gaming today I noticed a feint vertical line running right down the centre of my screen, as though one half of the screen is fractionally darker than the other. I dont understand how this could be, I only game in fullscreen mode and consciously avoid doing things like arranging windows to split the screen in half. Running a pixel refresh doesn't budge it. I've only had it two weeks :confused:

Last edited:

That's a shame, Must only be on the DW model.

While gaming today I noticed a feint vertical line running right down the centre of my screen, as though one half of the screen is fractionally darker than the other. I dont understand how this could be, I only game in fullscreen mode and consciously avoid doing things like arranging windows to split the screen in half. Running a pixel refresh doesn't budge it. I've only had it two weeks :confused:

This is covered under the warranty, Start a return,

Last edited:

Try the long pixel refresher or rma

To be fair I’m pretty underwhelmed with mine , purchased along with a 7900XTX . It’s ok but it’s not a 4k monitor.

Goi g to do some research and Im thinking I should have purchased a ASUS ROG Swift Oled PG42UQ or a Samsung 43in ch C3 Oled

32 inch 4k 240hz QD-OLED monitors will be for sale within next couple months, you could have waited

Back
Top Bottom