Worth buying an AW3423DWF or waiting for new monitors?

Soldato
Im not sure if mine is working properly or not.

It seems hit and miss whether HDR is activating in games and when it is active when i press the joystick it sometimes says it is still in desktop HDR mode not HDR1000 mode.

I am using the Dell display manager app which you can have SmartHDR which assigns HDR modes for apps/games or when back on the desktop but again I have HDR1000 set for all my games and 7/10 times stays in DesktopHDR mode. Also in DDM it doesnt have an option for the HDR true black even though I can select manually in the panel settings.

Is anyone else using DDM, Or are you manually selecting the HDR mode in games?

Do you think it could be a Win10 issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not sure if mine is working properly or not.

It seems hit and miss whether HDR is activating in games and when it is active when i press the joystick it sometimes says it is still in desktop HDR mode not HDR1000 mode.

I am using the Dell display manager app which you can have SmartHDR which assigns HDR modes for apps/games or when back on the desktop but again I have HDR1000 set for all my games and 7/10 times stays in DesktopHDR mode. Also in DDM it doesnt have an option for the HDR true black even though I can select manually in the panel settings.

Is anyone else using DDM, Or are you manually selecting the HDR mode in games?

Do you think it could be a Win10 issue?

I just press Win+ALT+B before I launch a game I want to play in HDR, No Dell display manager needed.

For the best HDR experience from everything I've read, Windows 11 is the more optimal OS.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks at buying one od these as a upgrade from my aorus FI32Q-X

It's currently at £739, any better deals about?

I feel my 7900 xtx will power that a treat

Honestly, no but it will depend on your usage. I would recommend this if you do content consumption with some productivity here and there but it's not ideal if you're doing a lot of text work. I'd imagine some good deals should arrive soon but probably won't offer the same visual experience as the DWF at the current asking price.

Soldato
Honestly, no but it will depend on your usage. I would recommend this if you do content consumption with some productivity here and there but it's not ideal if you're doing a lot of text work. I'd imagine some good deals should arrive soon but probably won't offer the same visual experience as the DWF at the current asking price.
It will be purely gaming, FPS and single player stuff

Soldato
I just press Win+ALT+B before I launch a game I want to play in HDR, No Dell display manager needed.

For the best HDR experience from everything I've read, Windows 11 is the more optimal OS.

Do you then select which HDR mode you want once in game?

When I choose the HDR1000 option the panel seems to do a reset and the screen goes black and back to the desktop for a few seconds then back to the game. In doing that reset any open windows/broswers on my 2nd monitor usually switch to my Dell. Is that normal?

Similar issue as this post. https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...s-under-color/647fa19bf4ccf8a8de6e310a?page=1

I also have no HDR option in YouTube.

I think its time for Win 11 today.

EDIT* Another thing - Sometimes, very rarely I see red text on the top left of the monitor showing the mode it is in. I think I have only seen it twice, should this show all the time when changing modes?

Last edited:
Soldato
There's an 8% code over at Hotdeals taking it to £679. I had the FI32-X too, awesome monitor!
Can I put a NHS discount on top of that too? Step mum works for NHS

I do like the aorus, but now I've got the XTX I want to try the ultrawide and all I hear is Great things with these OLED panels, no idea what to ask for my aorus tho

Soldato
Do you then select which HDR mode you want once in game?

When I choose the HDR1000 option the panel seems to do a reset and the screen goes black and back to the desktop for a few seconds then back to the game. In doing that reset any open windows/broswers on my 2nd monitor usually switch to my Dell. Is that normal?

Similar issue as this post. https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...s-under-color/647fa19bf4ccf8a8de6e310a?page=1

I also have no HDR option in YouTube.

I think its time for Win 11 today.

EDIT* Another thing - Sometimes, very rarely I see red text on the top left of the monitor showing the mode it is in. I think I have only seen it twice, should this show all the time when changing modes?

I have HDR 400 True Black or HDR Peak 1000 already set prior to going into a game along with activating HDR in Windows, The only thing I do ingame is either enable the games HDR option or if it doesn't have one, I use the Windows 11 Gamebar to set the HDR intensity using Window 11's AutoHDR feature.

Last edited:
Associate
I think I've started to adjust my eye to the more natural colours that are in HDR. Playing in hyper-contrasty SDR content for so long really makes the switch look washed out at first. I tried many settings I wasn't too happy with before stumbling across some easy-to-set settings online for me that just worked. I'll drop them below in case anyone else wants to try them.

With HDR off in windows, set the monitor preset to Creator mode, sRGB, Gamma to 2.4, Contrast to 75. Brightness to your liking (apparently 41 is measured at 100nits, but that's too dull for me?). Then turn HDR mode set to on in settings (Windows key + Alt + B shortcut) before booting up a game. Set SmartHDR to HDR Peak 1000. You shouldn't be able to change any of the other preset settings now that HDR is on, and apparently, creator mode is proven to be the most accurate to HDR DCI-P3 colour space.

You can adjust the SDR slider in windows, but I just tend to turn off HDR with the shortcut when I exit a game. In-game, use windows + G to adjust the HDR intensity in the settings of that game bar. From what I've found, it appears to save the slider for each individual game you set it to.

I would say to keep in my, that some games just have bad HDR implementation. I can't get FF14 to look good to my eye in HDR no matter what I try. Diablo 4 is known to have HDR issues that haven't been fixed and these games were leading me to believe I was doing something wrong. Other games might just look better to you in SDR cause of their art style and over-saturated colours (WoW for me). But when I booted up Deep Rock Galactic and Path of Exile and those clearly benefitted from HDR, I knew it was just going to be a game-by-game basis rather than HDR SET AND FORGET like on consoles.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the monitor but am torn about keeping it. I tend to use my PC 8-10 hours a day from home and spend maybe 3-4 hours web browsing.
Same here. I'm still keeping it. I installed Dell Display Manager on my work laptop as I moved from dual screens to a single monitor. I can split the windows across the whole screen now which is useful and I've turned the brightness and contrast down to 50% to reduce burn in.
I've still kept my old 27" IPS just in case.

Associate
That is a very good point, though I'd be concerned about burn in right after the 3 year mark
I used to think like this and I really had to shift the way I thought about it. I tried my best to stop seeing tech purchases as super long term investments. They’re meant to be used to get joy out of.

We pay car insurance each year and never question it. People don’t worry about buying their football season ticket cause it will only last 10 months.

Sure you want to look after it as much as possible while getting the most out of it. But we all know in 6 months it won’t be our ‘new’ monitor, just our current monitor. And by the time that 3 years warranty is up, we’ll be 2 months away from 2027. Think we’ll be tempted again by that point anyway.

Back
Top Bottom