Worth buying an AW3423DWF or waiting for new monitors?

Soldato
I wouldn't give up, you could always reorder once you get the refund back. Nothing touches this for the money, *believe me* I've had multitude of monitors.

Me.. give up... never!

I'm in the market for an OLED now as I've been spoilt by owning one and can't really go back to IPS, VA etc after this.

Depends how quick Dell's RMA procedures take? It's being collected by DHL on Monday, hopefully the turn around will be swift.

Soldato
Unfortunately upon closer inspection my screen has a butt ton of hairline micro scratches, some over a few inches wide. Looks like it was caused by the screen protector rubbing the panel during transit etc.

Beautiful display but it appears it's a common issue according to the internet and I'm certainly not prepared to live with it given the price paid nor will I accept a refurbished replacement by Dell, so accepted a collection/refund and the search continues.
Is it free to return for refund?

Last edited:
Associate
Received mines on Tuesday and wow the thing is just immense coming from an old TN dell and VA dell its like night and day. Being very much uneducated when it comes to monitors is there anything that I really need to do to get the best out of this thing?

Watched a few videos so I've enabled HDR in windows but not AUTO HDR, is this something I should be using?. I've turned on HDR 1000 in the settings but that's as far as it goes. To me it looks great but does it need much more color calibration or messing with ICC profiles etc.?

Any help is much appreciated .

Associate
guys whats gonna be better, an OLED monitor or an OLED TV?

For gaming, PC and console

Right now theres no big OLED panels, 34" ultra wide is small compared to a 42" OLED TV but problem is the PPI, OLED TV's are pretty low so text in a OLED TV will look horrible

Wish there was a 38"+ OLED panel with acceptable PPI

Associate
guys whats gonna be better, an OLED monitor or an OLED TV?

For gaming, PC and console

Right now theres no big OLED panels, 34" ultra wide is small compared to a 42" OLED TV but problem is the PPI, OLED TV's are pretty low so text in a OLED TV will look horrible

Wish there was a 38"+ OLED panel with acceptable PPI
I think that comes down to location and personal preference. I have a 55' C1 in the living room for my PS5/Xbox, but I can't imagine having even the 42' version on my desk in the office. It would make playing anything with a mouse and keyboard feel far too close even with the screen segmented. Console's themselves don't currently support ultrawide so again that comes down to are you ok with black bars on every game?

I have a Samsung Odyssey G8 32' on my desk that I picked up recently to see if I could live with the PPI of 1440p over that size. Tbh it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, but maybe the richness of VA colours helps with that. But even now, with a desk depth of 32 inches, I still feel like I need to lean back a little more than i'm used to to get the best viewing distance. You can always return something, so I'd say pick one that has the most pluses in your book and see how you feel about it from a few days of testing :)

Associate
In relation to the above post, due to some other issues with the Samsung (scan lines, flickering) I've decided to return it and just go full in on this Alienware lol. This all started with me buying an LG27GP850 as a replacement to my TN second monitor panel. Then moving my older ASUS PG279q that I've been using for years to the demotion of 2nd monitor after seeing my gf's colours on her IPS pop waaaay more. Then I got the G8 and while liking it, I realised it wasn't super future-proof for when I do eventually upgrade my GPU.

So here I am waiting for this £700+ monitor that I hadn't even thought about a week ago lol. Did anyone else that had there's delivered via UPS have any issues with tracking? My original delivery date was the 15th, which I was fine with. Then yesterday Dell emailed me to tell me it had shipped early and the new delivery date was the 10th (today), UPS also emailed me at half 10 last night to say my package would be arriving today. All this, but the tracking still says only the label has been printed and "Shipper created label, UPS has not received the package yet"

Just want to know if there's any actual hope of it arriving today and I'll sit put indoors, or if for some reason they jumped the gun when the courier doesn't even have it yet! lol. I've never used UPS before.

Associate
It's a lottery with UPS. Worst courier of the big boys. Saying that mine shipped early and was delivered in the the time frame given. Like I said a miracle for UPS. Fingers crossed for you.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Ordered one at £665, was going to wait for a 32” 4K OLED but couldn’t resist at this price and it also means I won’t need to upgrade my GPU just yet :)

Currently using a 38” LG for work and gaming, it’s perfect for work but too big for gaming. Think this will be a big upgrade on gaming and hopefully still useable for work :)

Ordered last night and expected delivery is 14th Nov.

Soldato
Mine was ordered on Wednesday and has turned up already. Can't set it up until this evening though.
Think I might need a KVM to switch between my work laptop and my desktop.

Associate
In relation to the above post, due to some other issues with the Samsung (scan lines, flickering) I've decided to return it and just go full in on this Alienware lol. This all started with me buying an LG27GP850 as a replacement to my TN second monitor panel. Then moving my older ASUS PG279q that I've been using for years to the demotion of 2nd monitor after seeing my gf's colours on her IPS pop waaaay more. Then I got the G8 and while liking it, I realised it wasn't super future-proof for when I do eventually upgrade my GPU.

So here I am waiting for this £700+ monitor that I hadn't even thought about a week ago lol. Did anyone else that had there's delivered via UPS have any issues with tracking? My original delivery date was the 15th, which I was fine with. Then yesterday Dell emailed me to tell me it had shipped early and the new delivery date was the 10th (today), UPS also emailed me at half 10 last night to say my package would be arriving today. All this, but the tracking still says only the label has been printed and "Shipper created label, UPS has not received the package yet"

Just want to know if there's any actual hope of it arriving today and I'll sit put indoors, or if for some reason they jumped the gun when the courier doesn't even have it yet! lol. I've never used UPS before.
As far as delivery goes with UPS, mine was the same as you. No notification from UPS other than the "estimated date" - it arrived as promised.

Associate
Received mines on Tuesday and wow the thing is just immense coming from an old TN dell and VA dell its like night and day. Being very much uneducated when it comes to monitors is there anything that I really need to do to get the best out of this thing?

Watched a few videos so I've enabled HDR in windows but not AUTO HDR, is this something I should be using?. I've turned on HDR 1000 in the settings but that's as far as it goes. To me it looks great but does it need much more color calibration or messing with ICC profiles etc.?

Any help is much appreciated .
The colour calibration and brightness is pretty good spot on out of the box - yours shouldve come with a calibration certificate. I've found the HDR 1000 setting hard to balance when playing a couple of games (Warzone & Spiderman) as the brightness of whites is eye burning at times, so i've set it to HDR game mode. Seems to be a good compromise from what I can tell.

I've also done my first Pixel refresh - I think the screen health indicator turns to yellow after about 4 hours. I think you can set it to do it automatically whilst on standby, but I manually ran it to see how long it takes (6 or 7 minutes).

Associate
As far as delivery goes with UPS, mine was the same as you. No notification from UPS other than the "estimated date" - it arrived as promised.
Thank you for this! As their tracking makes it look like it hasn't even been picked up yet, I wasn't holding my breath. I'll keep more of an ear out now and avoid the headphones.

Associate
Can you expand please, more than you are imprressed?
Thanks
So I have a LG C1 for my PS5 etc, but have always mainly used IPS panels for my PC. For me, the jump is having those rich colours and deep blacks on a might tighter screen. I was using the Samsung Odyssey G8 (32" VA) for the last week or so, but it's obviously still incomparable. When I first got an OLED tv, I knew there was no going back after that, and it just the same with this monitor. The extra real estate in 21:9 feels like the biggest upgrade for me with the type of games I play. FFXIV, WoW, Diablo/Path of Exile. It feels so nice to be able to see so much more around me. Especially in a game like D4, where it's always been a bit of a complaint that the max camera distance feels too zoomed in. Having the extra vision takes away that issue altogether.

I wasn't expecting my 2070 Super to hold up so well and was fully prepared to drop my settings a lot until I upgraded my GPU next year. But it performs way better than I was expecting. Obviously, the titles listed above around mega-demanding, but I was still expecting more of a hit. I think I lost about 15-20fps on max settings in all those games. So down from 110-120 to 90-100. Still very playable, and in games like D4 where I want to keep the higher fps, I've just turned on the quality DLSS.

Overall, incredibly happy. Well worth the price, whereas the monitors that I tried recently before this at £300 and £480 just didn't feel like they gave me quite that 'wow' factor that justified the upgrade from my ASUS 27" IPS that I got in 2017.

Soldato
/\/\ same as me. I use my C1 for PS5 but wanted an OLED. This is so much better than my old IPS panel. I had a quick play with Cyberpunk and it's night and day better with HDR on.
A shame that most of it's use will be for MS Word and Teams :(

Back
Top Bottom