Would welcome thoughts and advice

Associate
OP
Anyway unless having more money than knowing what to do with it, PCIe v4 NVMe isn't sensible buy and then Samsungs are more or leass badly brand overpriced.
You could get 2TB PCIe v3 NVMe for lot less than those two Samsungs.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-zp2000gm30021-hd-3bc-se.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds200t3x0c-hd-55z-wd.html
Heck, you could get 2TB PCIe v4 NVMe for less:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-zp2000gm3a002-hd-3bx-se.html

Of those SSD's you mentioned, which is the best bang for the buck so to speak

Man of Honour
my current pc will be eventually be going to someone so it can be adapted for special needs, so i am looking to treat myself to a new system effectively, new mb, cpu, gpu, case, monitor, its kind of a treat to myself after a really rough and ****** couple of years recovering from a serious accident, my intent is to RGB my new rig, and its the debating of things like SSD's, GPU's, weighing up the options and getting advice from some fantastic people like :-
mickyflinn, joxeon, EsaT, butter30. ASMB, lee32uk and yourself

There will probably be lots of hair pulling by me, ummming and aaahing, until i decided what we will end up with, obviously when i do decide on the parts and such, i will take photos and give a huge shout out to all those involved, its things like do i go for a good air cooler for my CPU with good air flow through the case or do i go for an AIO, lots of little decisions that will affect the end result

Oh right, I see. In that case, the 3060 Ti is a good buy (assuming it's sufficient for your intended resolution), if you can get one for a decent price. If you're not in a hurry I'd wait for the 11th gen Intel CPUs too.

Soldato
Of those SSD's you mentioned, which is the best bang for the buck so to speak
Bang for buck 2TB drive for gaming PC would be WD Blue SN550.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds200t2b0c-hd-57n-wd.html

Very few games benefit any at all from NVMe SSD instead of SATA SSD.
And while not full PCIe v3 speed drive that would still have five times the sequential read speed of SATA with plenty of unused potential.
With that extra ~one fifth of raw theoretical speed having 50% price premium.
Actually making that PCIe v4 Firecuda 520 having more performance per price when considering how much benchmarketing numbers cost.

Associate
Personally I would go with the noctua air cooler over water. The metal tower will last much longer than a liquid cooler and usually noctua do free mounting brackets if intel and amd come out with a new mounting system, so you can usually transfer it to a new build. eg Mounting and Upgrade Kits (noctua.at)

The fan on the air cooler also helps to cool the motherboard vram compared to the water coolers.
This ▷ Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Pure Black CPU Cooler w… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) comes with 2 fans compared to the other which has one. If you buy the one with 2 fans you can just put one in the middle and leave the other unused as spare, this will extend the life of the cooler until you need to order a replacement fan

Associate
OP
Here we go again, i've written stuff down, looked at stuff, had some thoughts, then thought some more then thought even more and decided, i will write down the possible system ideas and bounce them off you awesome peeps, some of the ideas are from you fabulous bunch, i'll try and do quotes as to who said or recommended what.
Here goes:-

CPU: Intel i7-10700k/Intel i5-10600k if i go the intel route or Ryzen 7 5800X/Ryzen 5 5600X if i go the AMD route
MB: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi if going intel or ASUS RoG Strix X-570E if AMD
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz or Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz or Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
CPU COOLER: BeQUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15S Chromax or Noctua NH-U12A
SSD: WD Black SN750 2TB M.2 2280 or Firecuda 510 2TB PCIe 3.0 or Firecuda 520 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM
CASE: Corsair iCUE 4000x or Lian-Li Lancool Mesh or Phanteks Eclipse P500 or Corsair iCUE 465x
PSU: Corsair RMx 1000w
RGB Lighting: Corsair iCUE QL120 x6 or Corsair iCUE LL120 x3 (if I use the 3 x LL120 I have in my current build)
Monitor: Gigabyte G32QC-EK32

Would like to say thankyou to EsaT for the SSD's and RAM ideas, Butter for the 5800x idea, mickyflinn for the monitor idea, ASMB for the GPU advice, and also thanks to Tetras, Lee32uk, Joxeon for input too, let me know what you all think of the above, and your thoughts on possible system, once we've agreed i'll then be pricing it up and going shopping this year

Man of Honour
Case you should pick the one you like

Psu you dont need a 1000w unit a decdnt 750wor 850w would do.

You just have to decide wether to go AMD or INTEL which i think most would say AMD as that supports pcie4. Intel 11th gen cpu's are released in march with pcie4 support and a performance increase over 10th gen.

Cooler any there all good.

Man of Honour
Thanks mickyflinn, what about the other stuff...? thoughts...? i am liking the monitor more and more now
I tend to get the best value for money as im tight.

M2 pcie3 v pcie4 theres no real performance diffrence on General use so take your pick.

Motherboards are good but if you go AMD the MSI x570 tomahawk Wi-Fi is excellent value.

Man of Honour
If you have the money, I personally don't see an issue with over-spec of the PSU, the latest graphics cards are pretty darn power hungry so a little extra in reserve won't hurt.

The Intel Z590 boards are available for pre-order now, not sure of benefits.

I would pick the 5600X over the 10600K.

Associate
OP
If you have the money, I personally don't see an issue with over-spec of the PSU, the latest graphics cards are pretty darn power hungry so a little extra in reserve won't hurt.

The Intel Z590 boards are available for pre-order now, not sure of benefits.

I would pick the 5600X over the 10600K.

AMD is definitely part of my thought process, i suppose i've always been an intel baby at heart (amd in the past had problems with) so i'm not discounting that out, i think it would be a case of weighing up the options and also pricing as time goes on, as i mentioned to mickyflinn, its going to be over this year so not all in one go

Back
Top Bottom