• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti

Soldato
Intel have the money to hire whoever they need to write drivers.

Upside they'll have good oss support too :cool:

slightly OT sorry
I think in the GPU market intel will be a bit different, they will hit the low/mid range sector first and will be looking for market share with aggressive pricing.

Good point but if they do manage a good top end which beats NV that wont be cheap by any definition

Soldato
I don't think we will see much of a price reduction on the 20XX cards over the course of their availability as they use very big dies that are expensive to make.

I wouldn't buy a 2080ti if they were on sale at 50% off right now, I really wouldn't. I think they've hurt the brand big time this year... I genuinely do not want to own an RTX card.

I feel Nvidia have ripped the **** out it so much with this release that it's put me off the upgrade path altogether. I might get enthused again if the next generation catches my eye in terms of performance, but I've got a feeling it'll be another **** take.

I've moved from Intel to AMD (2700x) and I'd love to get an AMD GPU but alas, the OP puts forward a hypothetical scenario where they release a 2080ti competitor but I fear it'll be a struggle for them to get a 1080ti competitor on the go.

Soldato
I'm currently not convinced by RTX at all, certainly not a "must have" for me, maybe in 2 years time once devs know how to use it and you can get a decent framerate then I'll be interested.

Soldato
I think RTX is just not going to be a selling point for a LONG time.

Firstly the early implementations aren't all that. Sure the reflections are nice but they do look quite gimicky, too shiny sometimes and often more unrealistic. Evidently RTX has the potential to look AWESOME but I haven't seen anything transformative yet. Also the performance hit is really alarming. Initially upon reveal, I thought RTX had some tiny awesome chip which processed all this stuff independently which was why I was excited.

If AMD released a card which hits 4k 60fps, ignoring the RTX bells and whistles, at a discounted price to their NVIDIA counterparts, most people would have jumped to them. Basically release a 1080ti with an AMD badge.

Soldato
I agree, although if you are like me and have owned a 1080ti for almost 2 years then the upgrade path just doesn't exist and it doesn't look like it'll be available in 2019 either.

Exactly. The issue is a lot of AMD fanboys will then cry when we critique AMD for releasing a 1080ti equivalent card for £50 cheaper 2 years later.

For high end gamers, AMD are making it very difficult to give any money to them. Especially with consoles hitting pseudo-4k now.

Soldato
Exactly. The issue is a lot of AMD fanboys will then cry when we critique AMD for releasing a 1080ti equivalent card for £50 cheaper 2 years later.

For high end gamers, AMD are making it very difficult to give any money to them. Especially with consoles hitting pseudo-4k now.

The problem is that high-end gamers as you called them are even starting to be priced out of the market, and as such the percentage of 'normal' gamers vs. high end gamers is becoming skewed so much that high end is a tiny percentage of the overall market, and the more it gets squeezed, the smaller it will become and there will be no need to cater to that market if it is so tiny.

So if AMD were to release a card as SLOW as the GTX 1080 Ti in 2019 for £450 would you criticise them? Two years later than the GTX 1080 Ti, but cheaper than the alternate from Nvidia, and catering for the market they know that sells well.

Associate
I would love amd to make a card faster than the 2080 by 10-15% but slower than the 2080ti and for something like £500 that way it would put Nvidia in a really awkward spot as they wouldn't really be able to reduce their pricing

Associate
I would love amd to make a card faster than the 2080 by 10-15% but slower than the 2080ti and for something like £500 that way it would put Nvidia in a really awkward spot as they wouldn't really be able to reduce their pricing
That card will arrive in Q4 2019 by which point NVIDIA will be more than happy to slash prices and still win. They are enjoying huge margins at the current prices. They can reduce prices and still earn reasonable margins.

Associate
No, because I just wouldn’t pay £700 for a GPU, period. And I couldn’t give two hoots about raytracing

But we need AMD back competing and the higher end of the market, not that i shop there mind, I’m very much in the higher mid tier bracket.

Back
Top Bottom