• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a £700 AMD GPU minus RTX that was as fast as a 2080 Ti

Caporegime
well it would be £700 for a top of the line GPU, if they sold 2080ti performance for £700 then a 2070 performance would probably be £300-400. How does that sound?
Still crap I’m afraid, top drawer performance for £400 is still pushing it to my mind - given it’s one component of many in a gaming PC.

Yes, this is an enthusiast forum where such things are acceptable but to Joe public,
Naah.

Once keyboard and mouse support is across the range on an XBox then that’s where my money will go especially given you can get a console and 4K screen for less than a top end GPU, never mind the rest (mobo,cpu, RAM etc etc) and what should really worry Nvidia (but apparently doesn’t) is I’m a 1080ti owner - ie top top end buyer - saying that.

Yes a high end PC is better, but is it worth the huge price premium? These days, no, not at all.

Killing the golden goose.

Associate
Still crap I’m afraid, top drawer performance for £400 is still pushing it to my mind - given it’s one component of many in a gaming PC.

Yes, this is an enthusiast forum where such things are acceptable but to Joe public,
Naah.

Once keyboard and mouse support is across the range on an XBox then that’s where my money will go especially given you can get a console and 4K screen for less than a top end GPU, never mind the rest (mobo,cpu, RAM etc etc) and what should really worry Nvidia (but apparently doesn’t) is I’m a 1080ti owner - ie top top end buyer - saying that.

Yes a high end PC is better, but is it worth the huge price premium? These days, no, not at all.

Killing the golden goose.
so very true

Soldato
£500 is my limit from any manufacturer. My 980Ti was £449.95 on a black friday special a few years ago and it's holding up very well at 1440p. I mainly game in flight Sims so a Nvidia card is preferable. I do fancy a gsync 4k ultra wide screen so I may consider a 2080 if prices get to a more sensible level next year.

Caporegime
My 980Ti was £449.95 on a black friday special a few years ago and it's holding up very well at 1440p.

Still a v good card and solid at that res :cool:

Upgraded a m8's 2500k machine with one a few months back and really is great with his Acer 1440p Gsync'd screen :)

I'd hold out for the 7nm cards though, make it last you ;)

Soldato
Still a v good card and solid at that res :cool:

Oh absolutely at 1440p I’m still very impressed by it. Loaded up Battlefield V for the first time yesterday, allowed nvidia to set the recommended setting, most on ultra and high and was away. Was expecting sutters and dropped frames and having to tinker but was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was.

My flight sim does max it out though :(

Soldato
The OP set a clear context. A competitor to the 2080Ti at that end of the market and asking if ray tracing would be worth the difference to people.

When the OP says he thinks people will jump at it, I would bet a lot of money (Gibbo certainly would) that he is right.

I wonder if the thread would be different if it was an Nvidia card instead of AMD. I suspect there would be a different result then.

Soldato
I've already got an RTX 2080 sadly and thats the meat of it.
Most people who will buy £600-1000 graphics cards have already bought a 1080ti, a 2080 or a 2080ti.
AMD have arrived very late to the party and the real question for most people with the cash to upgrade is "will I switch from my 1080ti or 2080 to a £700 AMD GPU?" and thats not worth it.

If they'd released this miracle card you're talking about a bit earlier, sure I would have moved to them.

I also think AMD will NOT release a 2080ti level card at a anything more than a £200 price difference. They're greedy on the GPU front.

Caporegime
Same with the 1080Ti tbh, just more of the same with some more good grunt and a great card for 5 years if you don't mind dropping detail @ 1440p :)

Yeah, hopefully, it'll last me some time to come yet. It's not a top end model by any means, but as far as I'm concerned it isn't noisy, temps are very acceptable, and the performance at 1440p is more than adequate. :)

Soldato
Most people who will buy £600-1000 graphics cards have already bought a 1080ti, a 2080 or a 2080ti.

You've not really thought that sentence through have you? What you are saying is that for the lifespan of the 2080/Ti Nvidia are not going to make many more sales as most people already have them. You might as well say that as most people already have cars, they aren't going to sell many more. ;)

Soldato
I'd buy whatever nvidia released /price dropped to compete with such a card as I have a gsync screen and wouldn't want to pay that much for a card that didn't work with my monitors version of variable rate refresh.

Associate
No. The content just isn't there to justify spending £700 on a GPU, no matter who manufactures it. There used to be a night and day difference between PC version of games and other formats.

These days it's just souped up console ports in terms of the AAA market.

Now devs/publishers don't even bother their backside taking advantage of the better tech available on PC since everything is parity with other platforms, therefore why even bother spending the extra money as the return is just minimal for the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom