1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy this house ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MehulLakhani, May 20, 2010.

1. MehulLakhani

Wise Guy

Hi All

I am looking to buy a new-build house , and am really, really stuck - so wanted to ask for everyones help/ideas. Very few houses come up in this area, and with the spec/size that we wanted, so we dont want to let a good one go , as it were.

Linky to PDF

First of all - in terms of price it is competitive, and we are very lucky to be have parents who can help out so that we can buy this house. We want to live in this part of watford for the school catchment areas, and near to my work.

I have been to see the house inside in person, and it is all finished to a very high standard, and is lovely inside. There are 2 major problems however, and I really wanted everyone's view on this.

1 . It is on a main road, fairly busy. The road is double yellow lined, and so are some of the side roads. Any guests/family wanting to visit would probably have to park in the side roads, and walk 10mins to our house. We have lots of guests/family . . . . . so is an issue !

2 . There is no garage, and there is only parking for 2 cars outside - and we already have 2. This exacerbates greatly problem 1.

(3) . Busy road - worry if children etc run out onto the roads etc etc

Here is a map link which shows a bit more detail in terms of location

Any ideas gratefully appreciated - am pulling my hair out at the moment !

R

mehul

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. touch

Capodecina

if i was going to be spending that much money on a house then i would want something a bit more suited to me. But if you say that the price is competitive for the area, then maybe the problems are something you could live with?

3. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

The potential danger to kids and the noise from a busy road would outweigh the other benefits for me. There'll be other houses, there are always are.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  5. Edward01

Wise Guy

I reckon you could get at lest 3 cars in front of that house. Two against the fence and one blocking them in facing the front door.

6. Rotty

Don

A house near me sold for that money a couple of years ago, had multiple pools, helicopter landing pad and hangar, 11 acres of land etc etc

why would anywhere in Watford be so stupidly expensive ?

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

While it looks like a relatively nice area... for that kinda money I'd deff. commute to work - you can get a whole lot more house for that money as rotty says if you move out a bit.

8. TS7

Wise Guy

From the pics that drive looks like it could fit five cars at a push. Three cars horizantal to the fence on the left. Two in front of the front door one behind the other.

9. domthecondom

Mobster

if i spent that much on a house.....i would wane live FAR AWAY FROM ROAD :| WTF

10. TS7

Wise Guy

850k for all that? That is extremely cheap. 850k would buy a nice, 5 bed, detached house with maybe pool around here. Certainly no acres of land or helipad.

11. matthewhotdude

Mobster

Nice house, but you could get loads more for your money if you moved out of London a bit

12. metachi

Wise Guy

it dont even have a garage with that price.

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

Depends where you are... out here in Somerset on the edge of a busy town 850K gets you an 8 bedroom house with a large swimming pool, fullsize double tennis courts and atleast a couple of acres or more of land.

And on a busy day (in London) you can probably get to work as quickly on a train from here as you could in the car/public transport lol.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Absolutely not. Nearly a MILLION POUNDS for a house like that without a garage and right on a main road?

Move away from London and that sort of money buys you acres of land, a driveway longer than your imagination, a triple garage and no main road for miles around.

I'm opening myself up for all sorts of slagging here but it just looks like a normal suburban house. Other than the fact its near London nothing at all makes it look anything like £850k worth. Even half that is pushing it. It even has a shared driveway?!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  15. matthewhotdude

Mobster

Those gates on the right are ****ing ugly aswell

16. metachi

Wise Guy

inside is nice but outside looks like a regular house you drive pass everyday. dont you want something a bit different?

17. Rotty

Don

just found it is back up for sale at £1.6m, land seems to have grown though :p

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24115624.html

•Eleven bedroomed dwelling with pool
    •Set in private grounds of approximately 26.68 acres
    •Seven stables, ménage and lake
    •Helipad with hangar and garaging

18. -Ad-

Capodecina

St Albans

;)

19. Berserker

Man of Honour

I can only guess you're paying a hefty premium for the fittings. Kitchen in particular is just bizarre. But, horses for courses etc.

London premium just adds insult to injury of course.

But, if it's what you want then your 'problems' seem like nothing more than minor inconveniences.