• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you sell a GPU on ebay now?

Associate
So has anyone used the high street second hand electronics places?
I have a 1080 and a 970 that I want to get rid of and the shops seem like a safer option.

Soldato
eBay has the option for non PayPal payments

You have to offer paypal for anything except vehicles and property.
Ebay are all about the buyer and how the buyer want's to pay for a 'safe' purchase experience.
You can state Cash on Collection, but if the buyer goes with Paypal and you decline it can result in sanctions.

Associate
I would have done a few months a go before all this GPU madness. I have sold many items on eBay without much issues (including my older GPU's).

For the time being, no way... I need to wait for the dust to settle.

Associate
OP
You have to offer paypal for anything except vehicles and property.
Ebay are all about the buyer and how the buyer want's to pay for a 'safe' purchase experience.
You can state Cash on Collection, but if the buyer goes with Paypal and you decline it can result in sanctions.
You can refuse PayPal payment. Not against ebay policy.

Associate
I sold my last GPU on eBay a month ago. I had a non payer on the auction, who tried to pretend he had an address that was in the UK...however, he was actually from Nigeria (of all places) and only a student part time in the UK and used his student rented address as the address on eBay. I went through all the non payer stuff and got my fees reimbursed. I relisted the card as buy now and immediate payment. The card sold and the buyer was very happy with his new card.

I did have to wait for my money through eBay though. eBay has gone across to dealing with their own payments and you don't use PayPal to receive payments anymore. (At the moment, it is an opt in, but they are soon going fully over to their payments). They take the fee at the point of payment, so no monthly invoice. Then it takes up to 5 days to get the money transferred into your bank account. (It too 4 days for me). In this day an age it really shouldn't take that long!?

The non payer, is the first issue I have ever had with a buyer since 2004! Perhaps I have been lucky??

Permabanned
Only sell on ebay if you are prepared to lose it. I mean more ebayers are honest people, but no doubt it is worrying selling something expensive on there.

Associate
Sold my 1080ti on FB marketplace for a good price, sold as seen with still 12 months on the warranty, guy snatched my hand off!
eBay is a minefield and I wouldn't sell anything of any great value on there now, I have done in the past but with all these horror stories, not worth it.

Associate
I sold an ssd on eBay and the person who brought it send back a smaller capacity version that was sold and said it was faulty. It took 2 months to get them to side with me and not to refund the money.

I won’t use eBay to sell things now I just used FB market place put my 1080ti on there and sold quickly person came picked it up and put money straight into my bank account.

Associate
I think people might be over reacting with regards to that well known market place......

I've sold at least 2 GFX cards (GTX 970 / GTX 980) without any issues, I also managed to sell my complete collection of 80's Transformers and Star Wars toys a few years ago when I was getting married, some of which went to addresses in Europe. Made an absolute killing even after fees as I'd kept all of the boxes.

Maybe I've been extremely lucky, maybe I dont sell enough items but I've not had one issue with any seller in over 15 years. I generally find that if you are honest in your description, pack things up well for transit and keep people in touch with messages etc that the overwhelming majority of people are fine.

Associate
I think people might be over reacting with regards to that well known market place......

I've sold at least 2 GFX cards (GTX 970 / GTX 980) without any issues, I also managed to sell my complete collection of 80's Transformers and Star Wars toys a few years ago when I was getting married, some of which went to addresses in Europe. Made an absolute killing even after fees as I'd kept all of the boxes.

Maybe I've been extremely lucky, maybe I dont sell enough items but I've not had one issue with any seller in over 15 years. I generally find that if you are honest in your description, pack things up well for transit and keep people in touch with messages etc that the overwhelming majority of people are fine.

honest in your description is key to avoiding problems.

Permabanned
How are cash payments or bank transfers processed by PayPal?

Sorry, I meant the newly introduced Credit card payments. These will eventually be a replacement for "unsafe" payment methods, but at the moment they are still processed by Paypal even though they appear not to be.

Associate
I never had problems selling on Ebay but... I would definitely not sell the spare GPU I have around, just in case something happens. A bit more than a week ago I had to RMA one of my new cards and having a 980Ti around was great until I got the new one :cool:

Back
Top Bottom