• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you sell a GPU on ebay now?

Associate
only encountered some time wasters who won the auction but then request to have it cancelled. Perhaps the GPU section is a bit of a minefield atm so extra caution should be taken when selling. always insure the parcel and take note of the serial No. and get some photos taken before shipping.

Soldato
Sold plenty on eBay over the years and I've only encountered a couple of scammers but never been out of pocket.

It's a hassle to ensure you are protected, like loads of pics, videos, serials etc.... Someone did a return of a faulty item but they send the wrong item back, a defective card with a diff serial - kept eBay informed with proof and all was fine.

I've also sold plenty on the MM - which also has it's own potential drawbacks (seen a few before it's taken to private).

Associate
Sold my 1080ti on eBay last year with no problems. I would agree that if you are not willing to potentially lose the sale I would go elsewhere as it is a risk. There is the MM (and I am getting close) but I would imagine you would get a lower final value.

Associate
to be fair sold 100's of items on ebay and only ever had two selling issues

the first was low value and couldnt be bothered so just credited him

and the other one was a high value purchase and the buyer obviously made a mistake it took him the full return period to send it back

and then i resold it for more than he paid

Soldato
I lost £60 selling some game codes from a CPU on Ebay.

The buyer used a hacked account. Actual account holder filed a dispute and got refunded, and I got zilch.

Won't be selling anything computer related on ebay again.

I've sold dozens of items including clothing and sports gear over the years on there and never had an issue before.

Associate
Sold two recently. One was an old 660GTX which sold with no issues. Second was a RX480 8GB, went for a lot of money but buyer didn't pay (they made a mistake apparently) so had to re-list. Second auction went for even more and they paid straight away plus left positive feedback, so in the end the first buyer did me a favour.

Have to admit I was nervous with all the posts about people being scammed etc... Anyway have another one of my old cards on there now so fingers crossed.

Associate
It’s the same for everyone but doesn’t take too long to reach 1000 posts.

Well it depends, I have been a member since 2011 and I am still a fair distance from been able to sell on the forum, I guess if i post 10 to 15 posts or so for the next 30 days I would then qualify, but I would not want to be accused of spamming.

Soldato
Well it depends, I have been a member since 2011 and I am still a fair distance from been able to sell on the forum, I guess if i post 10 to 15 posts or so for the next 30 days I would then qualify, but I would not want to be accused of spamming.

there are dozens of sections to the forum and dozens of daily threads in each, it really doesn't take much effort to rack up 20-30 posts in a day, I mean just go in to the brexit thread and say something controversial and you'll be in an internet argument in minutes that'll get you that many posts

Associate
there are dozens of sections to the forum and dozens of daily threads in each, it really doesn't take much effort to rack up 20-30 posts in a day, I mean just go in to the brexit thread and say something controversial and you'll be in an internet argument in minutes that'll get you that many posts

True, but I would not want to offend potentially thousands of potential future buyers.

But I shall definitely post more.

Permabanned
True, but I would not want to offend potentially thousands of potential future buyers.

But I shall definitely post more.
You don’t need to spam or troll to rack up posts. I have certain sub forum that interest me so I tend to stick to them and comment on subjects that I find interesting , there are many sections and subjects that don’t interest me so I don’t post in them.

The reason there is a 1000 post limit is to stop people just opening an account just to sell, you may get all kinds of people doing that and no one knows if they are legit or not. It’s for our protection.

Associate
It is a fair point, but it would be nice if the age of the account reduced the amount of required posts, I have been a member since 2011, perhaps a 10 percent reduction per year would help.

The reason there is a 1000 post limit is to stop people just opening an account just to sell, you may get all kinds of people doing that and no one knows if they are legit or not. It’s for our protection.

Permabanned
It is a fair point, but it would be nice if the age of the account reduced the amount of required posts, I have been a member since 2011, perhaps a 10 percent reduction per year would help.

On the other side of the coin you can make an argument that you’ve been a member for 10 years but contributed so little, yet you want all the perks that others who are regularly contributing have.

Soldato
I don't know if i would right now due to the insane state the market is in generally but i have sold lots of stuff and a lot of PC bits on eBay over the years and never had an issue.

Yeah there are scams out there and bad buyers but the majority are genuine so the odd are in your favour, but it is still a bit of a risk.

Man of Honour
Only issue, with selling on OC UK, is the amount of required past posts to be able to use for sale forum.

That is there as a safeguard so that somebody can't sign up to the forums, start selling stuff and then take the money and do a runner. It happened before and that's why the threshold is now 1000 posts.

That's far from the only downside though. There are some on here who expect you to practically give your stuff away yet those same people expect top prices for their own stuff. The battering down of prices can be brutal and that's why I prefer selling higher valued components on Ebay.

Associate
I have twice been scammed on ebay, once it was an ATU that the insides were swapped over and a claim it didnt work, so was a loss as i had no pictures of the insides. 2nd time was a tube Mic amp that clearly shows the tube glowing in the pictures but he still claimed back and ebay went with his side. It was working perfectly.
Electronics of any kind are really hard, I once sold a GFX card and marked it with UV pen. I had the buyer contact me saying it didnt work, I said well send it back but warned it was marked so make sure he sent back the correct card. he with drew claim and that was that.

Another was i sold a V7 radeon card with water block attached, with the original cooler, the buyer replaced the original cooler and knackerd the card some how, but ebay sided with me as he had removed the waterblock and card wasn't as sold.

I think Ebay is ok but you have to be real careful and list things as parts not working no returns, that way you are covered if the buyer try's to scam. Also explain why its listed that way to stop scammer's.

Back
Top Bottom