Would you tip game devs?

Soldato
I've tipped small independent games studios (1-5 people) before when the games been good enough to deserve it AND they respond well to fan feedback (fix bugs quickly, change/add content, lots of comms etc), although it's mostly been single person studios that I've tipped overall. I think the last one I did was for Hex of Steel on Steam, which is a single person studio who made a turn based hex looking WW2 "HOI4 vs Panzer General" style game and the dev responded very quickly (multiple tiny <1Mb patches per day sometimes) to issues found, requests for new/changed units etc.

If it was a large AAA studio they, to quote many others, can **** right off, and just the fact that they've even considered asking is, for me at least, proof positive that they're not paying the staff enough to feel valued!

Last edited:
Associate
No, especially from a multi-million (or billion) dollar company like Blizzard.
That's what buying the game is for, money should be distributed accordingly.

If the president of Blizzard thinks that some games are 'that special' he can pay the devs more himself.
Ridiculous.

Soldato
I will purchase additional packs e.g. music albums, art covers etc of small developers if I've played their game and love it. Examples being Rimworld and maybe now Manor Lords.

I'd never do that for a large development team though.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No, my tip is buying your game...... and expansion should be free like the good old days.

****** Blizzard.

Soldato
I don't mind paying for the likes of a Supporter's Pack for indie devs where they have truly gone above and beyond with a labour of love, but for AAA developers? HELL NO!

Yeah, right, as if that money is ever going to actually get to the people on the coal-face.

Caporegime
No, my tip is buying your game...... and expansion should be free like the good old days.
expansions were never free but back in the day game expansions were content rich.

A lot of games used to sell boxed retail "stand alone expansions" for people who didn't own the base game even

Soldato
expansions were never free but back in the day game expansions were content rich.

A lot of games used to sell boxed retail "stand alone expansions" for people who didn't own the base game even
Total annihilation + core contingent
Supreme Command + Forged Alliance
Red Alert
red alert 2 + yuri's revenge
red alert 3 + uprising
star craft 1/2

all come to mind on standalone and or exension of content.

Last edited:
Associate
Tip? Nah. Make a decent game I enjoy that's worth the money and then release any DLC worth buying and I'll buy it.

Shadowhand would be a good example for me. Great game at a good price and would buy DLC or stuff they make next.

Back
Top Bottom