WWDC 2007

Soldato
JonB said:
Hopefully you will have the option.

I would hope so, even if just for more user preference - but if I'm right in thinking so, Apple don't really like people changing the menu bar at all.

Soldato
Slogan said:
Very Vista-ish, I thought. There were also a few other things that struck me as Vista-ish as well, but I can't seem to remember them.

The new sidebar looks somewhat more similar to what Windows has had for a while, too. But let's face it: It'd be ignorant to actually think that Apple don't take ideas from MS, just as MS took inspiration from OSX for Vista. It works both ways, and in the end it all benefits the end-user, so it can't be a bad thing.

Soldato
TheVoice, of course that is the case. It's just annoying that when Vista came out, everyone had a sarcastic video on how the two were 'completely different' - with several new features (in Vista) being shown to be in OS X for years.

Then when Apple seem to be inspired - nothing is said at all. It probably shouldn't annoy me and it is a silly thing to be annoyed about - but I'm not really a fan of ridiculous bias and I'm a user of both platforms.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I have to say that now I've watched the Keynote I have mixed thoughts.

I don't like the transparent menu bar (whats the point of being able to see behind it anyway, there's nothing to show besides the menu names anyway), although I do like the reflective dock :o

The coolest thing was definately the stacks part of the keynote.. quite liked how the download icon changed to reflect the most recent addition to the folder. I can't really get too excited with gaming on the mac as I don't do it myself, but I can see how this is a big deal :)

It did seem a bit disappointing watching Steve go through "back to my mac" and various other monotonous "features" which we've seen before. To me the audience seemed to be forcing the applause in those parts of the keynote.

Soldato
Slogan said:
TheVoice, of course that is the case. It's just annoying that when Vista came out, everyone had a sarcastic video on how the two were 'completely different' - with several new features (in Vista) being shown to be in OS X for years.

Then when Apple seem to be inspired - nothing is said at all. It probably shouldn't annoy me and it is a silly thing to be annoyed about - but I'm not really a fan of ridiculous bias and I'm a user of both platforms.

I have to say, it's somewhat refreshing to see others with this same sort of attitude - too often I see other people (on either 'side') that seem intent on ensuring imparity between the two. Just seems so...pointless. I'd love to know where the superiority complex arises from.

Nonetheless, I've been watching the Keynote and there's some pretty interesting stuff there. Some of it was a bit dull but there's definitely some nice features being revealed, and evidently more to come too.

Soldato
It seems to stem from the Apple side of things more so than anything else - and those who swear by Apple products in the media obviously have a tendency to jump at every chance they get to belittle their biggest rivals product. With admittedly good effect.

As someone said above, it's quite sad that there is such a gulf between the two sets of people. Whilst it's good to have competition for products and inevitably it is that, that drives quality up and prices down, the fanboyism that exists with 'those' Apple users is just gut-wrenchingly sickening. And really, really sad.

Associate
TheVoice said:
Nonetheless, I've been watching the Keynote and there's some pretty interesting stuff there. Some of it was a bit dull but there's definitely some nice features being revealed, and evidently more to come too.

Quite a lot was not shown at WWDC tbh..

New Dvd Player.
New iCal.
New Photobooth.
New FrontRow.
New Accessibility.
New Automator.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/

Soldato
Desperate for a better Frontrow tbh.. although frontrow is good..

its not a patch on media centre... it needs more features and a better layout, and quicktime needs much more support

Soldato
lemonkettaz said:

its not a patch on media centre... it needs more features and a better layout, and quicktime needs much more support

To be honest it's either dump QT or get those movie rentals in QT..

What's interesting between Apple and MS is the marketing message.. Apple still use and hold the go get em/just do it creative message. MS is basically a double breasted jacketed business man.

It's that message that MS needs to tweek slightly but that usually a factor of the product management and the board that signs off their product's business cases.. wieghted by marketing bods.

Basically I see Apple staff as a whole being a little more with it than the marketing staff of MS.

Last edited:
Associate
lemonkettaz said:

I just want it a bit nippier around the menus. Sometimes it can take what feels like an age to load my itunes library. I wonder if AppleTV is as slow as front row is?

Caporegime
Slogan said:
And really, really sad.
It's still got a long way to go to match the level of retard who care's about what manufacturer made the graphics chip in their machine to an extent where they actively avoid one of them, though.

Soldato
Caged said:
It's still got a long way to go to match the level of retard who care's about what manufacturer made the graphics chip in their machine to an extent where they actively avoid one of them, though.

I don't know, if anything it's in the same league as that. Brand loyalty and in being selective with graphics card manufacturers, Apple fan(boys) are selective in what they see as a PC. A beige box instead of a stylish Lian-Li (or whatever takes your fancy), a clunky CRT instead of a nice stylish flat panel monitor and so on.

But I do agree that it is sad. For people to be passionate about their PC's is a good thing - it's a great hobby and what have you, but when it goes to those extremes you have to question motivations amongst a few other things.

The majority of the Apple community (and I mean MacWorld goers) would love to see the PC (Windows and probably Linux) dead and buried - and wouldn't mind paying non-competitive prices for their hardware. They don't seem to clock on that the PC does them and their pocket a massive favour. But there you have it.

They also don't seem to clock on that Apple is as healthy, as it is today, because of Bill Gates' investment into them, when they were close to being bankrupt.

The infamous Boston MacWorld sums the majority of them up. They would have rather seen the company go down the tubes than have Microsoft involved at all.

The whole love-in that goes on at Apple gets right on my teats.

Caporegime
I think people like that are the circle-jerking minority, to be honest (albeit vocal). I couldn't care less what computer people use, or about the history of either platform. All I give a damn about is that I prefer using a Mac, so will keep buying them for as long as my preference stays the same. Preaching about it is a waste of time as far as I see it.

Soldato
I just hope FrontRow scrolls filenames if they are longer than the width of the column, flippin' annoying that :)

The stacks thing looked quite cool initially, but i'm not entirely sure how it will cope with anything but a small amount of files though. Currently if you drop a folder onto the dock it will show it's contents in a list, so i'm struggling to see any advantage other than the flashy graphics and the ability to put the latest file first.

All in all I think it was mostly show and very little substance for these 'secret' features. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong once I get to use it :)

Associate
Stacks moves into the grid view with large amounts of files and you can scroll. To be fair though, I don't think it has been designed with 100s of files in mind. For that you should open up finder.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

JonB said:
Stacks moves into the grid view with large amounts of files and you can scroll. To be fair though, I don't think it has been designed with 100s of files in mind. For that you should open up finder.
Yes, you'd think that but Steve did say that was the whole reason they introduced the download folder;

..."because people are downloading hundreds of files, and we wanted them to be directed to one common place"
I hardly ever use Docked-Folders really.. so I'm hoping this will encourage me :)

Back
Top Bottom