• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

x2 3800 Owners - OC's

I ordered a OEM X2 3800 with a Big Typhoon which will arrive from OcUK on Monday. I won't get to start the build until Wednesday though as I am flat out with work atm.

I can't wait as this is going to be my first build :)

I can get to 2.6Ghz with 1.425 volts and stable temps, but if I bump the vcore to 1.55 I can get it stable at 2.7Ghz. The temps shoot up a bit too far for my liking so I might play it safe and stick at 2.6 for now. :)

I got an X2 3800 on Friday along with the Asrock dual motherboard and a Scythe Ninja.
Got it to this so far:
24ghz.JPG

The vcore is set to 1.35 in the bios, but cpu-z bounces between 1.375 and 1.39.

Several hours of Prime 95 gives me a cpu temp on ~38c with a room temp of ~20c, which is nice as my old AthlonXP used to idle at 40+ :cool:

I was using the 'blend' settings but with memory usage set to 400mb so that i could run 2 instances at once (using 1 gig of ram). I've also done a few tests with S&M, and that gets it 3-4c hotter than Prime.

The Ninja has a 120mm Akasa amber fan attached, and it's in a CM stacker with another amber as an exhaust and a crossflow fan. The crossflow is attached to a fan controller and normally runs at low speed - turning it up to full thwack doesnt seem to have any real impact on the temps :(
In any case, i'm not sure how accurate the temps from the Asrock are?

I've now got it running at 2.5ghz with the voltage set to 1.35 (1.375-1.39 in cpu-z). I need to set it to 1.4v to get it stable at 2.6, and it wont do 2.7 at all.
My old Twinmos ram is running stable at 208mhz at stock timings (8-3-3-2.5). It'll do 8-3-2-2@200mhz so a bit more tinkering is still required ;)

My X2 3800 arrived today from OCuK. Won't get a chance to set up until later this week but for anyone wanting to know I got a 0601XPMW. BTW those big typhoons are well.... big!!!!

cupz7fi.jpg

Got my X2 3800+ to 2.6ghz, stable.
Voltage - 1.5V
Stock Cooler.
Asrock 939 dual motherboard.
HT Multi - 3x
Stepping - LDBHE 0601FPMW

Corsair PC3200 Value Ram - 2.5-3-3-5

Last edited:
Trying mine @ 2.7ghz. Set V.core to 1.475 in bios but it registers as 1.52v on probe etc. Voltages are rock solid though.

Underclocked mem though running @ 180 currently until I can get some PC4000.

Just did it to see if it would boot and it does..

2.7g.jpg

biosscr

Last edited:
An OCUK OEM x3800 (CCBWE 0601XPMW) just landed on my desk. I'd tell you how fast it'll go, but I can't *quite* make it fit into the socket on my ASROCK AGP/PCI-E board... mainly because the legs on the CPU aren't 150 miles long! And even if they were I suspect I'd have to overvolt and underclock a little to get Prime95 stable.

Mmm... oh well. I did what I could. Ordered from a bunch who have it in stock and use the same delivery firm. I even paid extra for early delivery to try and get everything here together.

Oh well, best laid plans of mice & men, and all that. What a *lovely* weekend I'm going to have. :-)

I've never split an upgrade order like this before... asking for trouble. I nearly cracked and bought the DFI AGP board from OCUK, but I'll settle for a fairly gentle overclock, and the AGP/PCI-E slots on the Asrock fit very nicely into my medium term upgrade strategy.

Oh well, at least I can play with the modular leads on my Hiper PSU (Mmmm, electric blue with silver fans, where'd I put my shades?) and can run round the flat pretending my Freezer 64 Pro is a Merlin engine and I'm a Spitfire. That's perfectly normal behaviour under the circumstances, isn't it?

Andrew "rule one: never split an order" McP

I have my 3800 X2 OEM from OCUK, CCBWE 0601XMPW. Currently have it game stable at 2.6GHz.
1.45V CPU
2.65V on the RAM

Temps are 48 degrees max at full load, 30 idle using an AK-913 Evo 33. I'm happy cause my Opteron used to hit 50 full load with a Vapochill lol.

However, the voltage regulators hit 58 on load, which i aint happy about. Any reccomendations? I want to sort some cooling out before I test the stability to destruction, don't like the temps!

I ran Prime for 2 and a half hours, no errors, one instance on each core. Will test for 10 hours+ if I sort cooling for the voltage regs out.

brightside_ said:
I have my 3800 X2 OEM from OCUK, CCBWE 0601XMPW. Currently have it game stable at 2.6GHz.
1.45V CPU
2.65V on the RAM

Temps are 48 degrees max at full load, 30 idle using an AK-913 Evo 33. I'm happy cause my Opteron used to hit 50 full load with a Vapochill lol.

However, the voltage regulators hit 58 on load, which i aint happy about. Any reccomendations? I want to sort some cooling out before I test the stability to destruction, don't like the temps!

I ran Prime for 2 and a half hours, no errors, one instance on each core. Will test for 10 hours+ if I sort cooling for the voltage regs out.

No I shouldn't, James, know what I'm doing in that instance. I'm not going to be doing anything more strenous than playing BF2 on it, and I played it for 3 hours solid this afternoon after priming, no crashes. Unless your going to be doing some serious CPU work, quad priming ain't necessary imo.

ok...so it's seems that stability is a grey area then...some say 4 instances and some say 2...each to they're own, i can get my x2 3800 rock solid @ 2.6, 1.43vcore....can run 4 instances of prime @ 2.7 1.5vcore for 10 hours one day without a hitch...then the next it will fail at 2 hours..so i keep it @ 2.6 if you are happy to just do two instances then thats you decision. only trying to help my friend.

Back
Top Bottom