**XBOX ONE** Official Thread

Oh dear, seems there is a massive oversight with the Xbox One supporting 5.1/7.1 via the optical out, meaning my A40's will be stereo only!!!

Another example: The units we've been testing mess with the audio that comes from the cable box, and are currently only able to output surround sound if you dig into the menus and tick off a "Surround Sound (BETA)" option. Otherwise, it downmixes your cable's 5.1 surround to stereo. My boss Stephen Totilo likes to watch pro wrestling, and when he does, he likes to watch it in surround sound. (The better to hear the taunts and the body-slams, I guess.) But if he runs his cable box through his Xbox One, the audio comes through in mere stereo. Microsoft assures us that a non-beta option for surround audio throughput is coming, but it won't be there at launch.1718
If the device removes any functionality from the components it's supposed to unite, users will probably remove it from the equation.

Or take my peculiar AV setup: I like to play games and watch movies with an Astro surround-sound headset, which decodes Dolby 5.1 audio from an optical input cable. However, the Xbox One is currently only able to output stereo and DTS Digital through its optical output. My headphone receiver can't read DTS Digital, so I have to output in stereo, and my surround headphones turn into regular old headphones. I've been asking Microsoft for the last week if they intend to add Dolby output to the optical audio port in the near future (it's an option for HDMI output), but haven't gotten a solid answer on whether a fix is coming.

source

Does the Xone have to be on for you to watch Sky etc when using it through the X1 or does it work on standby ?

Giantbomb were inconclusive on their podcast.

Yeah, I can't get a clear answer on that either, but it's not something I'll probably do tbh. As much as MS want the Xbox to be "Input 1" on my TV, I think I'll always have my Sky box separate. I'd much rather they just had apps like Sky Go and iPlayer sorted so I could watch them in Snap mode rather than running Sky through it.

The full review from Digital Foundry for those interested...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test

There are some great ideas here, then, but we've had just a small glimpse of what the machine is capable of. Cool functions like resuming gameplay from standby are flaky, while the centrepiece of the media experience - full integration with live TV - just isn't there yet outside of Microsoft's home market. It's coming, but we have no idea when. The core of what's left, beyond some neat features, is very much a games machine: one whose capabilities are proven, but which remains considerably more expensive than PlayStation 4.

I'm guessing the Xbox One will do HDMI passthrough. I'd be VERY surprised if it didn't :)

what are the chances of someone getting an xbox one before Christmas if they didn't pre-order ? lol (not me I don't want one, found out my stepson does though but to stupid to preorder)

Oh dear, seems there is a massive oversight with the Xbox One supporting 5.1/7.1 via the optical out, meaning my A40's will be stereo only!!!

source

It's early in the morning for me and I'm not totally awake yet but I've read that twice and still feel like I need to clarify, will my headset not have surround sound available for this on launch?

You don't strictly need to play them, but having knowledge of the back story wouldn't hurt. A quick Wiki on both games will probably give you all the story info you need (or I could do it easily enough).

Thanks. I think i seen it for £3 so i might just grab it later. Make sure i like the game play.

Running around smashing zombies brains in with anything i can grab sounds pretty fun though :)

No. The Xbox One does not output 7.1/5.1 via Optical Out.

BS.

Really not happy about this.

That is ridiculous, I have rarely complained about either console and whilst the Twitch thing yesterday bothered me I acknowledged it could easily be a minimal thing for others. This however, this is not good at all.

That is ridiculous, I have rarely complained about either console and whilst the Twitch thing yesterday bothered me I acknowledged it could easily be a minimal thing for others. This however, this is not good at all.

I read it as not working through headsets...although I only scanned it. Does the Xbox One have 5.1 through optical at all ??!?

Quick question, if I hook up a 360 to the XBONE's 'HDMI in' port would I use the XBONE controller to play games or the 360?

The 360 controller of course; the games are running on the 360 after all.

That said, you shouldn't do this as you'll introduce additional latency into the mix.

Also disappointing to see that optical doesn't support multi-channel audio and that surround sound via the HDMI input is a beta option. It's becoming quite clear that neither of these next-gen consoles were entirely ready for launch considering the sort of fairly basic features they're both lacking at the moment.

what are the chances of someone getting an xbox one before Christmas if they didn't pre-order ? lol (not me I don't want one, found out my stepson does though but to stupid to preorder)

most places stated you can still get one before christmas check online. only difference is it won't be day one edition or have the free game

Back
Top Bottom