• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Got my Series X last week and I’m having the same issue, one of the reasons I ended up selling my One X was due to silly little software issues like this that ruin the experience, never have any issues installing games on my PS5, honestly tempted to just send the Series X back.:rolleyes:

So I did eventually figure this out, it’s caused by the Microsoft Store needing to update mid download of any games and won’t show up in the download queue until you cancel whatever games you’re downloading at the time.

Really do wish they’d gone for a new OS/UI with this new gen of consoles, every app seems to be of such varying quality that’s it’s just a gamble on whether what your clicking on is going to do what’s intended.

Man of Honour
What caddy do you use?

He's talking about 10gbps (1.25GB/s) network transfer speeds here. There's no way you're getting that unless you're using a USB C caddy with an SSD. I appreciate that your post was more referring to a slow, USB 3 drive being capable of maxing out MS's apparent 600mbps limit, however.

Man of Honour
He's talking about 10gbps (1.25GB/s) network transfer speeds here. There's no way you're getting that unless you're using a USB C caddy with an SSD. I appreciate that your post was more referring to a slow, USB 3 drive being capable of maxing out MS's apparent 600mbps limit, however.

The Series X only has a 1Gbps port so the target is less than a tenth of that speed when you factor in the overheads. The max I’ve seen is about 860Mbps copying from one Xbox on the network to another.

Platter based hard drives have a throughout well below even that low bandwidth, so it’s always quicker for me to redownload rather than use a platter based external hard drive for storage.

Last edited:
Soldato
MS's servers seen to cap out at 600 Mbps which is a bit annoying on my 10Gbps connection, although the Series X only has a 1Gbps port anyway.

If I could use a decent percentage of my connection I would have never bought any storage expansion and just downloaded even 100GB games as and when I fancied playing them in 2 minutes.

Same story downloading Game Pass games on PC, the download speeds are all over the place on my 1Gbps connection and never consistent. Steam and PS5 downloads on the other hand make full use of it.

Soldato
Sorry I know - I was more querying use of ssd caddy (ASUS or sabrent)

Caporegime
It's bizarre how many Series X are failing now on the Gears forum. Not crashing, just powering right down. Which I'm not seeing on here replicated, other than myself while playing gears. Surely an old xbox one game given a boost for next Gen cannot be pushing the system so much is turns off. Some have returned them via MS only to have the new console do the same thing.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It's bizarre how many Series X are failing now on the Gears forum. Not crashing, just powering right down. Which I'm not seeing on here replicated, other than myself while playing gears. Surely an old xbox one game given a boost for next Gen cannot be pushing the system so much is turns off. Some have returned them via MS only to have the new console do the same thing.

Surely it's a bug with the game then, not the console?

Caporegime
Surely it's a bug with the game then, not the console?

Yeah that's what I thought, but the people returning them are being told it's hardware failure, yet as I say we are not seeing a reflection on here and people play a lot on here! Is it Gears causing an over heat as it's pushing the console or is it software? You would think it wouldn't just shut down unless it was hardware related?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Perhaps it was like that game on PC that was frying graphics cards because some code was pushing the hardware beyond its limits and causing power surges thus frying the chip.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's what I thought, but the people returning them are being told it's hardware failure, yet as I say we are not seeing a reflection on here and people play a lot on here! Is it Gears causing an over heat as it's pushing the console or is it software? You would think it wouldn't just shut down unless it was hardware related?

I've not had this issue on any of my 3 consoles. I've only played the GoW 5 campaign though as I hate rolly polly laggy shotguns :p

Caporegime
as I hate rolly polly laggy shotguns

So do I!

The pvp is dated, boring pap that appeals to such a small niche I don't know why they bother! PVE has been fantastic this time though. If it wasn't for that experience, I too would have only played the Campaign. I don't even see it as a big title anymore, certainly not a machine seller.

Caporegime
Series x has been back in stock on Microsoft page for the last hour. Managed to get one ordered, really missing the loading times going back to the Xbox one. Can get the 3 year warranty now too for piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom