XenForo 2.3 bugs, problems, and new stuff thread!

Here's a bug, if you disable 2FA and use Passkeys, then this works fine on desktop, but if you the go to mobile via the phone web browser (also Firefox though not relevant) then you can add a passkey for that device and it saves fine and shows in the list of passkeys, but when you go to log in via mobile web browser it tries to use Google to find the passkey which obviously doesn't exist

Not really a bug, its expected behavior as you would need a portable passkey app, Proton pass for example.

Not really a bug, its expected behavior as you would need a portable passkey app, Proton pass for example.
Yes multiple passkey handlers are on the phone but the forum only seems to request a passkey from Google, not any of the others. For example I have Samsung Pass, Firefox (which is the default handler for passwords/passkeys as everything of mine is synchronised via it), Microsoft Authenticator as well as Google's own app, yet the forum only requests the passkey just created from Google which it doesn't find because of the above.

It also won't create a passkey to the others even though it generates a passkey regardless of which handler is manually set as default in Android and only requests one from google upon logging out then back in.

So for now Passkeys only work on the desktop which is fine, doesn't work on mobile but can log in using just password without 2FAing with a passkey, which is also fine for now.

Last edited:
So for now Passkeys only work on the desktop which is fine, doesn't work on mobile but can log in using just password without 2FAing with a passkey, which is also fine for now.

Works on both, you likely need to go into your phone settings and specify which Passkey handler to use (otherwise it will default to Google).

Works on both, you likely need to go into your phone settings and specify which Passkey handler to use (otherwise it will default to Google).
I only posted after doing all this due diligence. The issue does not exist on anything else, only on this forum.

The "Featured content" banner is (I think) in the same place "New posts" used to be. I keep pressing it by accident when meaning to browse new posts, but I guess that will pass in a few days.

What is the intended function of this section/filter?

rp2000

I only posted after doing all this due diligence. The issue does not exist on anything else, only on this forum.

I've figured out what's going on, the wording/implementation needs work to be clear on how this is supposed to work and what a user needs to do as it will be confusing for many no doubt for those who access the forums across multiple devices.

The correct process as I discovered is like so, you don't actually even have to click the sign in via passkey button to log in, just enter your saved password and click log in, as long as a passkey was generated previously on the phone/desktop etc, you will immediately log in just like you could before enforced 2FA became a thing.

Now on phone or desktop, since I generated a passkey (it's stored somewhere, who knows where on phone as it's not Google), it detects that a device passkey exists when logging in with the normal password and gets you in. If a device passkey doesn't exist then you can only log in with a backup code which a bunch are generated when you first enable passkeys and the 2FA screen gets enabled in during that process. NOTE THOSE BACKUP CODES DOWN. If you disable app based code 2FA and only use Passkeys, then new backup codes are generated too so your old ones are useless. Note them down!

So now with passkeys, no monthly signing in again with a 2FA code, as the passkey 2FAs you behind the scenes.

Cool.

Last edited:
Removed it :) We dont have any Featured content as of yet.
This is where I'm (still) seeing it:

UL1nXzz.png

rp2000

I feel like it's just me but scrolling seems to be quite jittery when browsing the forum on Chrome on my pixel 6 pro. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Edit: forget I said that, it seems fine now... Very odd

Last edited:
CHANGE BAD

:P

Srsly though, when long-pressing the like button on Android, the reaction options pop up fast then I get a long press/context menu (browser right click effectively).

Samsung Galaxy S9, Chrome, Android 10.

Last edited:
Can I be the first to say that it's fully Groce™

I can say this after an extensive test which included clicking new posts once, and then clicking this thread.

Yeah once I sussed what was going on it works fine, as per my last comment above. With this you don't need to do anything other than the initial creation of the Passkey for that device. That's it. After this point just log in like you would have done before the whole 2FA thing was added to the forums. The Passkey gets recognised behind the scenes and you are in without having to load any passkey app.

On Windows 11 I just enter my Windows login PIN which handles all device level passkeys like when I log into Windows and other stuff. Again super convenient.

The scrolling is really janky. Quite a few times it will go nuts.

Here’s a GIF I captured. Keep in mind this is low FPS, in reality it’s very fast and trippy.

RPReplay-Final1724094895.gif

iPhone 15 using Safari.

Here's a bug, if you disable 2FA and use Passkeys, then this works fine on desktop, but if you the go to mobile via the phone web browser (also Firefox though not relevant) then you can add a passkey for that device and it saves fine and shows in the list of passkeys, but when you go to log in via mobile web browser it tries to use Google to find the passkey which obviously doesn't exist

ibRrVr5.png

Also once passkeys are enabled, you can't then go in and re-enable any other 2FA as the toggle switch doesn't do anything.

Works for me... When I setup my passkey on the desktop, it asked me where I wanted it saved and I chose my phone... When I logged out on desktop and then logged back in (to test it), it gave me the option to login with a Passkey... When I hit the button, it sent a notification to my phone which I then unlocked, confirmed it was me using fingerprint id and my desktop got authorised to log in.

Last edited:
It's all sorted, see above! Seems with firefox mobile the passkey is auto utilised directly and behind the scenes. No need to press anything other than login at the username/password screen which is autofilled in anyway.

The scrolling is really janky. Quite a few times it will go nuts.

Here’s a GIF I captured. Keep in mind this is low FPS, in reality it’s very fast and trippy.

RPReplay-Final1724094895.gif

iPhone 15 using Safari.
Must be Safari related on how it handles whatever API is being used by the update I guess. On Firefox it's buttery smooth.

Last edited:
It's all sorted, see above! Seems with firefox mobile the passkey is auto utilised directly and behind the scenes. No need to press anything other than login at the username/password screen which is autofilled in anyway.

Must be Safari related on how it handles whatever API is being used by the update I guess. On Firefox it's buttery smooth.

Chrome too, and now I really wanna keep quoting that GIF to see how long it takes to irritate someone :(

Back
Top Bottom